FreshTomato: well worth a try!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

FreshTomato: well worth a try!

Post by Pjotr »

FreshTomato, an alternative Linux-based router operating system, is one of the few remaining Tomato forks that's still under active development. Recently, the team has released a bèta for 2019.3:
http://freshtomato.org/

I'm running it on my own routers (well, the latest stable release 2019.2) and I heartily recommend it. This web page of mine might help you to install it on your router:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/tomato.html

With this free open-source alternative firmware, you can keep some routers that have already been abandoned by their manufacturers, up to date and secure. Plus you can enjoy the extra features it offers.

Have fun! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: FreshTomato: well worth a try!

Post by Portreve »

I know I recently mentioned this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating here:

All other things being the same, a router's feature set comes from the installed operating system (that is, firmware) because the router hardware itself is essentially general purpose, in a manner not all that dissimilar to a computer's motherboard.

It can be quite desirable to use libre community router firmware in lieu of the manufacturer's firmware because generally you will have more capabilities and control, an un-candy-coated, generally well thought-out user interface, and in many cases a better operational experience.

Years ago I used to have my own router (actually, I had several) and at that time I used DD-WRT. The improvement it represented over manufacturer firmware can't be overstated. I can only imagine all the improvements FreshTomato brings even to what I was used to.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Re: FreshTomato: well worth a try!

Post by sgtor »

I'm using it on my router too and I couldn't more happy with it. I started with DD-WRT years ago but later found Shibby's Tomato worked a bit better for my router so I was using that for a long time.

Shibby's wasn't being updated anymore though so I was happy to find out about FreshTomato.

Return to “Chat about Linux”