Pinebook Pro update and discussion

Chat about Linux in general
Raven21
Level 1
Level 1

Pinebook Pro update and discussion

Post by Raven21 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:08 am

What do folks think of the pinebook pro? It's a $200 linux laptop from Pine64. Preorders are open now, but the specs/language used on the page don't fill me with a great deal of confidence.

Do people think this is a steal for a linux laptop? Or a waste of time/money and buying a 'better' laptop and 'linux-ing' it would be a better choice?
Last edited by Raven21 on Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Pinebook Pro update and discussion

Post by Portreve » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:31 am

Basically it looks like a Chromebook but without actually being a proper Chromebook.

Clearly, you're not going to run LM on it — or any other distro — unless they decide to port to ARM64.

I think it's a well-intentioned idea, but that's about it.
I'm so down wit' dat', yo, dass ich unter dem Beton bin.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

All in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:30 am

Portreve wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:31 am
... you're not going to run LM on it — or any other distro — unless they decide to port to ARM64....
Ubuntu is available for ARM, they're not the only one either.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:39 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:30 am
Portreve wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:31 am
... you're not going to run LM on it — or any other distro — unless they decide to port to ARM64....
Ubuntu is available for ARM, they're not the only one either.
AFAIK:

Desktop Linux on ARM netbooks/tablets(non-4G LTE/5G) is still a work-in-progress or beta software. Early adopters need to ensure that their ARM-based devices are supported. In general, Linux support is very much lacking for non-mainstream or fringe hardware. .......

Desktop Linux on ARM 4G/5G smartphones is practically impractical or non-viable due to the very proprietary or closed-source nature of the hardware devices inside Android OEM and Apple iOS phones.
....... OTOH, Android/ARM devices can run many Linux distros with an emulator, eg Linux Deploy and Busybox apps from Google Play Store. This is like running an OS in a VM or container, ie not natively = not installed proper on the internal storage. They can also similarly run Windows, eg Limbo PC Emulator app.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/04/thi ... rm-laptops
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/01/pin ... nux-tablet
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ARM/TabletList
Last edited by michael louwe on Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:45 pm

The times they are a-changin'.
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/1080P ... _Main_Page
https://itsfoss.com/pinebook-pro/

and others ...

It's an interesting concept, but with limited availability for now. It's worth watching.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

old_noob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by old_noob » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:35 pm

You can buy a used or refurbished x86 machine with superior specs for less money, and be able to run more apps. However the better battery life on an ARM laptop is very attractive. I think the ARM option will get much better and more popular soon but we are not quite there.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:16 pm

old_noob wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:35 pm
However the better battery life on an ARM laptop is very attractive.
The better battery life is at the expense of better performance = slow or laggy performance when under high loads, eg having > 10 browser tabs opened or live-streaming a TV show or sports event in UHD/1080p.

Why is this.? Because ARM processors were originally designed for mobile smartphones that were battery-powered, fanless, very thin and very small(compared to a laptop) = ARM processors have to be purposely miniature, power-sipping, slow(= lower frequency), produce less heat, etc. Similarly for the internal storage(= Nand-flash) and RAM.
........ In comparison, x86 processors and other hardware inside laptops/desktops are not such limited = designed for maximum performance and maximum loads.

ARM processors will likely be fried if used for multi-player online gaming, 3D video game development or CGI film making. ARM netbooks are self-restricted for mostly low-performance or casual or light usage.

That is why Win 10 on ARM laptops/netbooks will likely not be popular as well. Remember the failed Surface RT Win 8 on ARM tablets.?

Return to “Chat about Linux”