Finally [SOLVED] no reboot or shutdown (a 6 month tale of woe with kernel 5)

Chat about Linux in general
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Finally [SOLVED] no reboot or shutdown (a 6 month tale of woe with kernel 5)

Post by catweazel » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:04 am

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:51 am
Let me ask if I understand this correctly; if I turn off the "C" states, my Ryzen 1700 would run at its full 3.0 mhz all the time rather than throttling down when it is not really doing anything? This in turn would generate more heat, and therefore shorten the life of my processor or would it?
Disabling c-states on their own will just increase your electricity bill. To shorten the life of your processor you would have to pump more than about 1.4 volts into it.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Finally [SOLVED] no reboot or shutdown (a 6 month tale of woe with kernel 5)

Post by MurphCID » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:06 am

catweazel wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:04 am
MurphCID wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:51 am
Let me ask if I understand this correctly; if I turn off the "C" states, my Ryzen 1700 would run at its full 3.0 mhz all the time rather than throttling down when it is not really doing anything? This in turn would generate more heat, and therefore shorten the life of my processor or would it?
Disabling c-states on their own will just increase your electricity bill. To shorten the life of your processor you would have to pump more than about 1.4 volts into it.
Once more, thank you. I learned something new today.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:30 am

hey catweazel, do you have microcode for your intel running?

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep -i microcode
mint blacklists amd and intel microcodes or is that ubuntu that does it? don't know why developers blacklist the microcode but then make it a dependency and can't be uninstalled.

Return to “Chat about Linux”