Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Chat about Linux in general
carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:57 pm

I have installed and tried MX-Linux, but I did not like it's look and feel. I do like Peppermint though as a lightweight alternative to LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon. But I am wondering WHY MX-Linux is the most "viewed" distro right now? And therefore the " most popular" one.

I deliberatedly put "viewed" in accolades, because I have read that the most "popular" distro is based on PAGE VIEWS and the popularity is not based on actual downloads. Anyways, I seem to recollect that LinuxMint used to be the most popular and that was one of the reasons why I thought LinuxMint had a GOOD rep and therefore had a customer based proof of QUALITY.

Now I am wondering, what MX-Linux is doing right, what LinuxMint is NOT?

Or is this just a manipulative game by some MX-Linux die hards who are upping their distro popularity with fake page views?
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Removed the [solved] prefix. There is nothing to be solved. And the question has not been answered in the whole thread either. Instead the thread is going in circles.

User avatar
Schultz
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1605
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by Schultz » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:16 pm

I assume you're referencing Distrowatch? But to answer your question, "who knows?" (And as you obliquely implied, that doesn't make MX the most popular distro.)

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9222
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by Moem » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:16 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:57 pm
I am wondering WHY MX-Linux is the most "viewed" distro right now? And therefore the " most popular" one.
That does not follow at all. Where are you seeing this? Is it Distrowatch?
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:23 pm

Yes, distro watch was the source of my pondering question. UNLESS the MX-Linux die hards are manipulative (no evidence of this whatsoever), MX-Linux is doing something BETTER than LinuxMint, which ( to my recollection) was touted to be the most popular distro. But is NOT anymore...

gm10
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8753
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by gm10 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:28 pm

carum carvi joining the troll grounds? Good luck, mate, there be dragons. ;)

Alexa page ranking (lower is better):
  • 6,413 - linuxmint.com
  • 19,295 - distrowatch.org
  • 20,563 - manjaro.org
  • 84,933 - mxlinux.org
So at the end of the day you have some site that is vastly less popular than linuxmint.com tell you that a site that's extremely less popular than linuxmint.com receives an inconsequential amount of hits more on their local overview page. Whatever. Even should it not have been your intention, bringing up distrowatch rankings these days basically amounts to trolling. :P
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:50 pm

gm10 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:28 pm
Even should it not have been your intention, bringing up distrowatch rankings these days basically amounts to trolling. :P
It really was NOT my intention to troll. I really love LinuxMint, I only recently learned what the word "trolling" actually meant, because I have only recently joined the internet, just 2 years ago. Before I literally had NO connection whatsoever. I am a complete newbie, but following the masses for a reason. Mass usage, means mass popularity.

The amount of pageviews for MX-Linux DOES point to an increase of interest for MX-Linux compared to LinuxMint. I am really curious WHAT causes that much interest? LinuxMint used to be the most popular. Perhaps people want a NEW flavor every year? BUT perhaps there is something really basically MISSING in LinuxMint that MX-Linux DOES provide for?

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:59 pm

Hi carum carvi
Distrowatch IS the last place i would look for the most popular Linux OSs out there, in fact i do not consult them at all.
Almost evertime i see this, there are another dozen or so similar sites out there that have precisely different results.
I think these things are usually written on a slow linux news day by bored out of their minds writers that need to justify a days pay for a days work and these results are always skewed by personal opinions.

for example, just conjured up this article today that states that LM is "the best" and calls all others, "the rest"...again that is the writers opinions and what are they really based on.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... x-distros/

dont worry what the reviewers have to say, go with the best OS for YOU!!!, not what everyone else thinks or opines is the best for you...who cares what is the most popular OS, as for me, I only care what is the best distro for me as well as the different ones i set up for friends...thats what counts, what works best for you...DAMIEN

PS...best for ME just happens to be Peppermint 9 and 10, not nearly as well known as LM which has over 100,000 in the forums alone not counting all users.
P9 and P10 incomparison are much lesser known and have only 3500 users in their forums. (They banned me from their forums 2 yrs ago because i refused to be bullied by one of their "trusted" members, but thats a whole other story in ancient history now)...lol.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

User avatar
philotux
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 833
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:14 am
Location: Utopia

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by philotux » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:05 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:50 pm
I am really curious WHAT causes that much interest? LinuxMint used to be the most popular. Perhaps people want a NEW flavor every year? BUT perhaps there is something really basically MISSING in LinuxMint that MX-Linux DOES provide for?
I guess you would need to use the distro and hang around their forum for a while to have an idea about what MX Linux is all about. Personally I think it is great Linux-based OS with a friendly and helpful community. Particularly, I appreciate very much the level of engagement of the devs with the community and their responsiveness to the users' needs and ideas. That said, it has a some really cool features as well, have a look at MX Tools for example.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:10 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:59 pm
Distrowatch IS the last place i would look for the most popular Linux OSs out there, in fact i do not consult them at all.
Almost evertime i see this, there are another dozen or so similar sites out there that have precisely different results.
I think these things are usually written on a slow linux news day by bored out of their minds writers that need to justify a days pay for a days work and these results are always skewed by personal opinions.
That does NOT answer my question. WHY LinuxMint USED TO BE the most popular, according to DistroWatch, and now it is NOT.

CocaCola is the most popular beverage. I can understand WHY it is so. There is one particular (addictive) harmless ingredient that makes you want more. WHAT is or are the ingredients that made MX-Linux suddenly so popular?
philotux wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:05 pm
I guess you would need to use the distro and hang around their forum for a while to have an idea about what MX Linux is all about........it has a some really cool features as well, have a look at MX Tools for example.
MX Tools? Never heard of it. But I take your word for it, that it is good.

My guess is that MX-Linux caters to the newest hardware, while LinuxMint does NOT.
Last edited by carum carvi on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:12 pm

That does NOT answer my question. WHY LinuxMint USED TO BE the most popular, according to DistroWatch, and now it is NOT
you would have to ask the "writer of the day" at distrowatch for an answer, dont be too suprised when one is not offered or they say that its based on how many clicks are reported on a given day on a certain distro.

digitaltrends also has writers as well and heres what they say...LM is the best, different writers, different conclusions...DAMIEN

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... x-distros/

PS...mx-linux and antix linux are popular for people with older, low end, less powerful computer systems because the are light weight on the resources used.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:16 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:12 pm
you would have to ask the "writer of the day" at distrowatch for an answer, dont be too suprised when one is not offered or they say that its based on how many clicks are reported on a given day on a certain distro.
It is based on how many clicks are reported. BUT LinuxMint USED TO BE reported as THE OS with the most clicks. It is not anymore. Why? Seriously. I am not trolling. I honestly like LinuxMint a lot more than MX-Linux, but before LinuxMint used to be the most popular on Distrowatch. Why isnt it the most most viewed distro anymore?
Last edited by carum carvi on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm
Location: Alamogordo, New Mexico, USA

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:18 pm

you would have to ask the writers at distrowatch for that answer, they didnt tell me their reasons. maybe there are some click happy people looking here there and everywhere for something that works on lower end systems, (mx-linux and antix linux are popular for people with older, low end, less powerful computer systems because the are light weight on the resources used).
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13248
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by Pjotr » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:19 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:10 pm
WHY LinuxMint USED TO BE the most popular, according to DistroWatch, and now it is NOT.
Wrong conclusion. More likely scenario: not many Distrowatch visitors click its Linux Mint pages, because they already know Mint (or even use it).
carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:10 pm
My guess is that MX-Linux caters to the newest hardware, while LinuxMint does NOT.
Hardware support is in the kernel. You can easily install the 5.0 kernel in Mint, and only slightly less easily the 5.2 kernel. So that argument is invalid.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8753
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by gm10 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:32 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:10 pm
That does NOT answer my question. WHY LinuxMint USED TO BE the most popular, according to DistroWatch, and now it is NOT.
The most page impressions on one specific site. Who cares about 2k page impressions on some barely relevant site from people not even using the distribution? At least I don't think I've been to DW's Linux Mint site in my life. Why would I? Why would you care? This whole topic, even if serious, leads nowhere.

If you want to game it, add a startup service to Mint that pings distrowatch once per day and Mint will be number one instantly. That's how relevant that ranking is.

But for a more practical answer: MX was recently updated. So it gets the hits as people look what's new. Simple as that.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 684
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Contact:

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by HaveaMint » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:50 pm

You mean there are other Distros out there besides Mint? Really?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

cliffcoggin
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 423
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:40 pm
Location: England

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by cliffcoggin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:56 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:10 pm

That does NOT answer my question. WHY LinuxMint USED TO BE the most popular, according to DistroWatch, and now it is NOT.

CocaCola is the most popular beverage. I can understand WHY it is so. There is one particular (addictive) harmless ingredient that makes you want more. WHAT is or are the ingredients that made MX-Linux suddenly so popular?
You are equating Distrowatch rankings with popularity which of course is nonsense. Distrowatch rankings are a measure of the number of visits to different OSs, which in turn is caused by people writing comments about them such as you are doing here.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 18.3 Cinnamon

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:57 pm

gm10 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:32 pm
MX was recently updated. So it gets the hits as people look what's new. Simple as that.
Yes, that was my guess as well, at first, but then I looked at the PERIOD in which MX-Linux had the most page views and it was over 1 year. Still, I think that the " newest flavor" hype probably is the way the masses choose ANYthing. BUT the previous years LinuxMint used to be the most popular choice. That fact still does nag a bit.

I honestly do not want to beat down LinuxMint, because I really enjoy and value it as the best Linux OS, BUT I do have 1 question: at distrowatch LinuxMint used to be (the last 2 years, sorry I have only been this long a Linux user), the most page viewed Linux OS of ALL the Linux OSes out there. Now it is MX-Linux.

I have just joined the MX-Linux forum and posed the very same question. I will report back to you, what THEY have said... :D

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 10890
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by JeremyB » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:01 pm


carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:10 pm

JeremyB wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:01 pm
I think you got your answer, https://mxlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... 2a4367a730
Very quick remark JeremyB. :D
But it basically states what I have already stated. DistroWatch is based on page views. Well, BEFORE LinuxMint used to be the OS with the most pageviews. Why isnt it anymore? I am curious what the MX-Linux forummembers are gonna answer. I will copy back their opinions... :D
cliffcoggin wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:56 pm
You are equating Distrowatch rankings with popularity which of course is nonsense. Distrowatch rankings are a measure of the number of visits to different OSs, which in turn is caused by people writing comments about them such as you are doing here.
Hmmm, I disagree. Writing comments, page views, it is indeed a questionable marking criterium, BUT for a long time LinuxMint was the most popular at DistroWatch and now it is NOT. Something has changed. Although LinuxMint is still second, I would like it to be the most popular, because I perceive it to be as such.

Some forummembers have criticized the lack of support for the newest kernels in LinuxMint. MX-Linux DOES that.

Some forummembers wish to have a Live USB with persistence. MX-Linux does provide that.

I still dont like MX-Linux, but maybe I am overlooking something?

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 973
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:17 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:19 pm
carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:10 pm
My guess is that MX-Linux caters to the newest hardware, while LinuxMint does NOT.
Hardware support is in the kernel. You can easily install the 5.0 kernel in Mint, and only slightly less easily the 5.2 kernel. So that argument is invalid.
That's a good point. But newbies probably dont even know the word " kernel". I didnt. They only notice that their newest (" best") computer does not work instantly with LinuxMint.

Locked

Return to “Chat about Linux”