Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Chat about Linux in general
HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 709
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 pm
Location: Somewhere in the USA
Contact:

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by HaveaMint » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:29 pm

One of the replies to your post on MX cracked me up, he couldn't be hassled with registering on Mint forum but didn't mind the hassle registering there.

entropyfoe
Forum Regular
Forum Regular
Posts: 947
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:42 am

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint

#4

Post by entropyfoe » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 pm
I tried Mint a long time ago, but I could not get it to boot. I did not want to go through the hassle of registering and posting in their forum.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11031
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by JeremyB » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:32 pm

The Mint forums has about as many members as the MX Linux forums has posts, but I know there are some Ubuntu people here

User avatar
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by michael louwe » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:35 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:57 pm
But I am wondering WHY MX-Linux is the most "viewed" distro right now? And therefore the " most popular" one.
.
MX-Linux is a newbie-friendly Linux distro based directly on Debian, same as Ubuntu and SparkyLinux. Linux Mint, Peppermint OS, Zorin OS, Linux Lite, etc are based on Ubuntu. Mostly only techgeeks could use Debian.
....... So, those who want to avoid Ubuntu would often turn to MX-Linux, eg to avoid Ubuntu's Snap Store and "ugly" Gnome DE.
....... Also, by default, MX-Linux uses the XFCE DE which is light on computer resources = suitable for older computers.

Manjaro Linux is a newbie-friendly distro based on Archlinux. Archlinux is like Debian = could only be used by techgeeks.
.
.

Historically, GNU/Linux was developed in the 1980s by techgeeks for techgeeks who wanted to avoid closed-source Windows and MacOSX, so that they could tinker with OS program coding to their hearts' delight, eg forking GNU/Linux distros and Linux apps left, right and center.
....... So, the first GNU/Linux distro sponsored by Richard Stallman's FSF(Free Software Foundation), Debian in 1993, could only be used by techgeeks, even until today = the work of about 100 Linux community developers. Today Debian has about 1,000 developers.

In 2003, the for-profit Canonical Inc came out with Ubuntu by piggy-backing off the work of Debian developers. In turn, Linux Mint came out in 2006 by piggy-backing off the work of Ubuntu developers. Only in 2012, did Ubuntu become newbie-friendly.
....... Today, Ubuntu should have a few hundred developers while Linux Mint should have less than 50 developers.

So, it is no surprise that desktop Linux has been unpopular among the ordinary masses = has a very low world market share of about 2% since the 1990s, unlike Linux-based Android, a newbie-friendly mobile OS right from its beginning in 2007.

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1064
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:19 am
Location: N.E. AR USA

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by Neil Edmond » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:00 pm

Even if MX Linux were a more popular distro than Mint, there is no shame in using what you like. Who cares if others like something else. Linux is all about choice. Personally, I use MX on a few of my machines, and like it very much. I also us Mint on a couple of computers. In fact my main desktop rig runs Mint Cinnamon (was MATE 17.3 until recently installed 19.2), and for day-in-day-out computing, there just isn't much difference. Also have Manjaro installed on one computer. Manjaro, because of it's Arch base is quite a bit different in how it operates compared to Debian and Ubuntu. But after all, I use the same applications no matter which distro or which environment I'm using.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:17 pm

HaveaMint wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:29 pm
One of the replies to your post on MX cracked me up, he couldn't be hassled with registering on Mint forum but didn't mind the hassle registering there.
But what he said is interesting:
Reasons for MX:

The test repo, with many programs specially ported over for you. If you need some application, the packaging team will usually help you get it from the repositories.

The Stability. MX is based on Debian stable, so is one step closer to the source...Debian the mother.

The tools are great, the live USB maker, the MX package installer. Maybe mint has similar tools, but not that I know.

Yes you can run very recent kernels.
2 other forummember of the MX-Linux forum did (surprisingly) not attach much value to the DistroWatch ranking of LinuxMint in SECOND place after MX-Linux.
A MX-Linux forummember comment:
It's not more popular than Linux Mint, it has more clicks than Linux Mint on one particular site. I don't know what's necessarily the case, one reason is if you know Linux Mint you'll not click on Linux Mint link, right while you might click on some obscure distro called MX that is on top of the list to see what is all about -- so number of clicks != popularity, on the contrary, smaller distros will get more clicks than Debian or Ubuntu or Mint.
My Comment: LinxMint USED to be the most "clicked on" distro though. Now it is not.
Another MX-Linux forummember: It is not possible for you to get an answer without a professional scientific poll statistically massaged. Distrowatch popularity, page hits, is far from such a poll.So stay tuned for responses from individuals why they like MX which may reflect some of the thinking of people who prefer it.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:24 pm

Neil Edmond wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:00 pm
Even if MX Linux were a more popular distro than Mint, there is no shame in using what you like. Who cares if others like something else.
I agree. I wont start drinking or appreciating CocaCola because it is the most popular soft drink. But I DO understand WHY it is the most popular soft drink. I do not however understand why MX-Linux has gained such a sudden interest in page views, for more than over a year. WHAT am I overlooking in popularity appeal? MX- Linux happens to be first choice for those interested in changing to a new OS according to DistroWatch.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1029
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 pm

michael louwe wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:35 pm
MX-Linux is a newbie-friendly Linux distro based directly on Debian, same as Ubuntu and SparkyLinux. Linux Mint, Peppermint OS, Zorin OS, Linux Lite, etc are based on Ubuntu. Mostly only techgeeks could use Debian.
....... So, those who want to avoid Ubuntu would often turn to MX-Linux, eg to avoid Ubuntu's Snap Store and "ugly" Gnome DE.
Michael Louwe, you refer to MX-Linux being based directly on Debian. I have heard other forummembers contemplating about that choice for LinuxMint being based on Debian instead of Ubuntu as well.
michael louwe wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:35 pm
....... Also, by default, MX-Linux uses the XFCE DE which is light on computer resources = suitable for older computers.
MX-Linux is light. Fact. But so is LM18.3 Fxce. Is there a big difference? I dont know. I havent compared the two OSes...

User avatar
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3300
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:18 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by michael louwe » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:55 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 pm
Michael Louwe, you refer to MX-Linux being based directly on Debian. I have heard other forummembers contemplating about that choice for LinuxMint being based on Debian instead of Ubuntu as well.
MX-Linux was first released in 2014 = it is a johnny-come-lately distro. It also does not use systemd by default = uses sysinit. Debian, Ubuntu and LM use systemd by default. Some users want to avoid systemd.

If LM wants to avoid Ubuntu by being based directly on Debian, eg her LMDE spinoff, LM will have to spend more manpower and financial resources to make her new distro more newbie-friendly than Debian, like what Ubuntu and MX-Linux developers have done. So, it is more likely that LM would piggy-back off MX-Linux or Sparkylinux = less work.
carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:35 pm
MX-Linux is light. Fact. But so is LM18.3 Fxce. Is there a big difference? I dont know. I havent compared the two OSes...
MX-Linux is a fork of the very light-weight 2007-released anti-X distro(= also systemd-free). So, her genes are towards light-weightness(= less "fancy" features and "bloat") whereas, the genes of Ubuntu and LM are towards heavy-weightness( = more "fancy" features and "bloat"). Genes = development focus.
....... Anti-X is not very newbie-friendly.

Anti-X 17 ISO file = 1.0GB
MX-Linux 18 ISO file = 1.4GB
LM 19 ISO file = 1.8GB
Win 10 1903 ISO file = 4GB
Last edited by michael louwe on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
smgordon1259
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:12 pm
Location: Wisconsin Rapids

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by smgordon1259 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:59 pm

Who says it is more popular? could it be that people are just trying it out?
All up to the person making that choice has nothing to do with which is better or more popular. Whatever works for you.
ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
AMD FX-4350 (4.2gHz)
Vulcan DDR3 1600MHz 8Gb
ASUS GTX 660 - 2Gb / Driver Nvidia 430.26
Linux Mint 19.2 MATE amd64 / Kernel 5.0.0-32 generic x86_64
Primary: Seagate 500Gb SSHD, Secondary: Seagate 1Tb SSHD

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 521
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:19 am

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by ColdBootII » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:04 pm

Distrowatch is not Popularitywach and that ranking table serves as decor that fills the space on the right hand side. You could only find if there's anything behind it by:

- installing in dual boot,
- installing in VirtualBox
- or trying it online https://distrotest.net/MX%20Linux

Hamletian "WHY???... Ohhh, WHY ARE THEY BETTER RANKED???!!!" wll get you nowhere... :mrgreen:

Cheers.

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9527
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by Moem » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:20 am

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:50 pm
It really was NOT my intention to troll.
I'll take your word on that. But please don't change your posts extensively when people have already responded to them, adding information that people did not see when they wrote their replies. No one enjoys being made to look as if they didn't bother to read what you wrote.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:39 am

manjaro started first in stuffing the stats at distrowatch. MX followed suit. I always looked to osdisc.com site, which ended after 16 years a few weeks ago, to see what was really selling there. Any site that depends on promoting it's most popular versions will have those on it's front page and in order. The order there was Linux Mint, followed by Ubuntu, so I know those were the most popular versions. You can still for now see the site, and their most popular list in order.

https://www.osdisc.com/
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

User avatar
Moem
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9527
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by Moem » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:51 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:39 am
I always looked to osdisc.com site, which ended after 16 years a few weeks ago, to see what was really selling there.
Then again, a distro might be very popular with highly technical users who don't buy any disks, but simply roll their own... and thus it might not show up there.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13747
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by Pjotr » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:23 am

This entire thread is such a massive waste of time, and yet I've been lured to post in it anyway.... :shock:

What is this almost magical attraction about troll threads, that makes you read them and participate in them, fully knowing how useless, worthless and annoying they are? Sigh.
Last edited by Pjotr on Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

User avatar
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6877
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:12 am

Because it's like bouncing a ball off the wall and catching over and again. It accomplishes nothing, but when bored, it helps pass the time.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

User avatar
Pierre
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9171
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by Pierre » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:39 am

how come carum carvi has only just joined the MX Forum ?
- - it's been around for ages & has an quite knowledgeable community.
they are both an larger forum, and each has it's own user community.
8)

NB: both Linux Systems are very N00B friendly, but from an different direction.
- - MX-19 Beta is Now Available to try out.
:D
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

User avatar
kc1di
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5429
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by kc1di » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:20 am

Pjotr wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:23 am
This entire thread is such a massive waste of time, and yet I've been lured to post in it anyway.... :shock:

What is this almost magical attraction about troll threads, that makes you read them and participate in them, fully knowing how useless, worthless and annoying they are? Sigh.
+1
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

User avatar
karlchen
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11424
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am
Location: Germany

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by karlchen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 am

Hi, folks.

What does some of us make use of the terms "troll" and "trolling", merely because a forum user asks, "Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?", and points to Distrowatch as the piece of evidence that MX-Linux might currently be more popular than Linux Mint?

Could it be because the situation that Linux Mint has had less page views recently on Distrowatch than MX-Linux makes some of us feel like being caught in a plight?

As long as Linux Mint was on the top of the page view list, no-one complained in case someone mentioned so. - Truthfully someone would come along and explain that page views on Distrowatch were not the most reliable way of determining popularity. But apart from this no-one was called names, if he mentioned that Linux Mint was at the top of the page view list on Distrowatch.

Now that MX-Linux, for whichever reason, seems to have taken over the page view pole position, users mentioning so are disqualified as "trolls" and their thread as "trolling"?!
Really amazing how things change. :shock:

Do some of us perhaps secretly suspect that the number of page views on Distrowatch might be a valid indicator of how popular a Linux distribution is? And the same people just do not want to even think about the possibility that Linux Mint might have lost its long time pole position? Lost to a distribution, the name of which a lot of Linux Mint users may not even have ever read before this thread started?

Is there some kind of hysteria in some of the reactions which the question "Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?" has provoked?
The unanswered question still is: Is MX-Linux more popular than Linux Mint? And how to find out reliably? - No, sorry, I have not got a valid answer to both questions. I have not studied statistical sciences.

Cheers,
Karl
Image
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

User avatar
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21
Posts: 13747
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:18 am
Location: The Netherlands (Holland)
Contact:

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by Pjotr » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 am

karlchen wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 am
The unanswered question still is: Is MX-Linux more popular than Linux Mint? And how to find out reliably? - No, sorry, I have not got a valid answer to both questions. I have not studied statistical sciences.
Well, answers more or less like that were given almost at the start of the thread.... Yet the OP doesn't seem to accept these answers.

So the thread keeps rolling on and on and on. Until everybody is in a bad mood. And all that with an outside temperature of 33 degrees Celsius where I live, to top it off.

So although the intention of the thread may perhaps not have been trolly (is that a word?), but a troll thread it has become anyway. Partly automagically, so to speak. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9742
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:11 am

karlchen wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:52 am
What does some of us make use of the terms "troll" and "trolling", merely because a forum user asks, "Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?", and points to Distrowatch as the piece of evidence that MX-Linux might currently be more popular than Linux Mint?

[...]
Since I brought the term up first: Trolling at its core means making a post baiting for certain responses because you're interested in the emotional reaction rather than the actual content of the responses. Sort of what you are doing, if you actually cared about the responses at all instead of just wanting to bring your point across. Subtle difference. ;)

But OP's approach of cross-posting an intentionally provocative question (as the concession in the post body shows) and repeating it throughout the thread like a mantra while only seeming to react to responses is textbook trolling tactiques. I'm still not actually going to pass that verdict, however, since based on OP's post history as far as I have experienced it it does not fit the "pattern". But then again we all like to have a little fun once in a while, so I'm not ruling it out, either. :twisted:
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Locked

Return to “Chat about Linux”