Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Chat about Linux in general
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by Pjotr » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:17 am

gm10 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:11 am
Trolling at its core means making a post baiting for certain responses because you're interested in the emotional reaction rather than the actual content of the responses.
That's a very neat definition. Rem acu tetigisti.
gm10 wrote:
But then again we all like to have a little fun once in a while, so I'm not ruling it out, either. :twisted:
Nor am I.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:24 am

Pjotr wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:17 am
gm10 wrote:
Trolling at its core means making a post baiting for certain responses because you're interested in the emotional reaction rather than the actual content of the responses.
That's a very neat definition. Rem acu tetigisti.
I should, in another time and place I have been excelling at that sort of pastime, but riling Linux users up is way way too easy, so none of that here. Besides, it's only really fun on a forum that allows for negative karma/reputation. :lol:
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:28 am

Hi, Pjotr.
Pjotr wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:08 am
the OP doesn't seem to accept these answers.
In a chat discussion like this one it is not required that the thread starter accepts the replies which he receives. :wink:
No problem has been reported. Hence no solution can be offered, which can be confirmed as "working" by the thread starter.

The nasty detail about questions like "Why is MX-Linux more popluar than Linux Mint?" is that camouflaged as the question "Why (is this so)?", it carries its real payload, which is the statement "MX-Linux is more popular than Linux Mint".
Unless this statement is true, the question does not make too much sense.
So the real question would be "Is MX-Linux more popular than Linux Mint?".
Well, none of us can give a valid answer to this question, because none of us has got a verifiable way of measuring how popular either of the two Linux distributions are.
As a consequence, any discussion about the question whether Linux Mint is more popular than MX-Linux or vice versa remains on the level of personal belief and disbelief. This level guarantees two things: The thread is good for nothing. The thread will sooner or later end in personal slurs.

Cheers,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:31 am

i wouldn't put much faith in distrowatch.com anymore. they are worse than google at tracking and extracting data from users. when i visit all my adblockers turn RED. if anyone wants to know why mxlinux is first is probably the hype people hear at the local watering hole.
i'm sure mxlinux is great, maybe i'll leave mint and go there since it is number one

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:43 pm

I started using Linux for the first time 2 years ago and it was the popularity of LinuxMint that made me confident enough to try it out, because I was/am a complete newbie with computers. So LinuxMint's popularity was for me a sort of approval of user friendliness, because if many users use it, it cant be too difficult for me to understand and use it as well. So for me personally the look, the feel and user friendliness is of the most importance when choosing an OS. That's why I love LinuxMint as the best OS out there. Now that same perceived (true or false) gain in popularity for MXLinux was the reason why I posted this question. Really out of genuine interest why MXLinux was doing something that attracted so many users.

I have recently bought a secondhand Thinkpad laptop and I am looking around for lightweight OSes that give me increased battery power and MXLinux is one of those lightweight OSes. I have tried MX Linux once in the past and I didnt like it's look and feel. I even stated on the MXLinux forum that I didnt like the look and feel of their Os and still I got nothing but friendly reactions and explanations from them. They explained to me why think MXLinux is different from other LinuxOSes. A recurring answer why they think MXLinux has gained more interest lately seems to be the live usb persistence option and the Debian base.

OSDisc has closed, but MX LInux offers the possibility to make your own ISO and give it to friends/family on a simple usb stick, all tweaked to their personal likings. Plug and play. Discussing other popular features from other OSes should not be a problem. It could be a good thing. We could learn / borrow / be inspired by what other OSes are doing great.

I honestly did not know speaking about other OSes could ruffle people's feathers. I love it here on the LinuxMint forum. I like all the friendly and helpful and the very experienced forummembers. Have a beer on me. Enjoy the sun. Let's end this post on a cheerful note :D

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:06 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:43 pm
Really out of genuine interest why MXLinux was doing something that attracted so many users.
You could just have asked that then, you would have gotten different responses. Instead you made your question about distrowatch, not MX. ;)

Personally I'm a fan of MX because it's a well built distro where the different pieces form a consistent while, rounded out by a great selection of distribution-specific tools which are clearly maintained with great care.

Another feature that makes the distribution popular among some is that it gives you the option between systemd and sysVinit. Personally I'm a fan of systemd though.
carum carvi wrote:
I am looking around for lightweight OSes that give me increased battery power
In my experience this is mostly a factor of kernel/driver configuration and the software you are running. For example, on my laptop disabling the bluetooth driver (rather than just disabling bluetooth) gives me probably 40 minutes more battery life. There's plenty other tweaks like that you can do.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:10 pm

gm10 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:06 pm
on my laptop disabling the bluetooth driver (rather than just disabling bluetooth) gives me probably 40 minutes more battery life.
Interesting.... What modules do you blacklist? On my laptop, these five appear to be bluetooth-related:

Code: Select all

pjotr@medion-akoya:~$ lsmod | grep bt
btusb                  45056  0
btrtl                  16384  1 btusb
btbcm                  16384  1 btusb
btintel                16384  1 btusb
bluetooth             548864  43 btrtl,btintel,btbcm,bnep,btusb,rfcomm
If I would want to do the same as you (which is probably the case), do I need to blacklist all five modules or does it suffice to blacklist the module called bluetooth?

--Edit: I've done some testing, and the only module that can be successfully blacklisted (and takes the four others with it) is btusb. I take it that that's the one?

--Edit (2): According to the awesome and unequalled Arch Linux wiki it is indeed btusb. I have a feeling that this is going to be a nice addition to my website. :mrgreen:

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:49 pm

Pjotr wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:10 pm
--Edit (2): According to the awesome and unequalled Arch Linux wiki it is indeed btusb. I have a feeling that this is going to be a nice addition to my website. :mrgreen:
That wiki is indeed great, but I never looked that issue up, it's just something you discover auditing your power consumption using the ever so useful powertop. Highly recommended for your website should you not yet have a section on it. ;)

ColdBootII
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ColdBootII » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:38 pm

carum carvi wrote:
I started using Linux for the first time 2 years ago and it was the popularity of LinuxMint that made me confident enough to try it out, because I was/am a complete newbie with computers.
I'll argue, that this is deficient outlook. Because if you let mainstream thinking, or popularity make you confident/decide about anything, you'll miss a lot of things. It's no good.

For instance, speaking of Linux in general, you'll hear very often from different sides, even some "experts", it's geeky and as such, not suitable for "an average user" and you could even find out resources (more or less reliable) showing that its desktop adoption, world-wide, falls within the limits of statistical mistake meaning we, Linux desktop users and Siberian tigers, might not exist. :mrgreen:

So, if you followed suit and succumbed to popularity "wisdom", you'd have never even thought of installing "that" on your computer, and miss completely the good which LInux and Mint can offer.

Cheers :D

famicommander
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Answered] Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by famicommander » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:02 pm

I run Mint on 3 computers but the stock live DVD wouldn't boot or install on my new Ryzen build. MX Linux installed and runs fine on it. So that's the reason I'm using it. Mint's stock kernel is too old to boot or install on my Ryzen 2200G and simply burning a disc for MX Linux was easier than figuring out a workaround.

The next release of MX will include the new Xfce and the new Debian stable, so I'm pretty excited about that. The new Xfce is supposed to greatly improve HiDPI support and fix the longstanding vsync issues of Xfce. Since I built the computer as a media box hooked to a 4K TV as a monitor, those changes are appealing to me.

I would have been perfectly happy sticking with Mint but now that I have MX running, it's not been a problem or really much of a difference at all.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:23 am

gm10 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:49 pm
Pjotr wrote:
That wiki is indeed great, but I never looked that issue up, it's just something you discover auditing your power consumption using the ever so useful powertop. Highly recommended for your website should you not yet have a section on it. ;)
I'll do that.... Thanks. In the meantime:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... .html#ID15
(item 15)

I'm curious whether I'll also get a battery life increase of the magnitude you've reported for your machine. I quite like these small and very useful hacks.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:04 am

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:23 am
I'm curious whether I'll also get a battery life increase of the magnitude you've reported for your machine. I quite like these small and very useful hacks.
Well, it all adds up. As I mentioned elsewhere recently, the totality of my adjustments bumps my laptop from 4-4.5 nominal hours operation to about 8 (depending on usage, of course). Turning off devices you don't need gives you the easiest net gain, otherwise turning on their power management helps if that's an option for you, same for downclocking the CPU, and finally check if you're running particularly resource hungry software.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:13 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:04 am
downclocking the CPU
Been there, done that, long time ago.... Instability was the main result. :shock:

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:25 am

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:13 am
gm10 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:04 am
downclocking the CPU
Been there, done that, long time ago.... Instability was the main result. :shock:
I know, as I said we discussed it elsewhere recently - I still don't follow because CPUs these days have scaling governors, anyway, but doesn't matter as long as it works for me. :P

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:34 am

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:10 pm
... That does NOT answer my question. WHY LinuxMint USED TO BE the most popular, according to DistroWatch, and now it is NOT.....
Just in case no one else has mentioned this, Distrowatch hit rankings are IRRELEVANT to how popular a distro is.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:38 am

I tried it out and I thought ... meh. Don't see the big deal to MX

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:44 am

Hoser Rob wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:34 am
Just in case no one else has mentioned this, Distrowatch hit rankings are IRRELEVANT to how popular a distro is.
I stopped counting at seven. You could have had the courtesy of reading the thread before replying. Well, maybe you couldn't...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:37 am

Pjotr wrote:
gm10 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:06 pm
on my laptop disabling the bluetooth driver (rather than just disabling bluetooth) gives me probably 40 minutes more battery life.
Interesting.... What modules do you blacklist? On my laptop, these five appear to be bluetooth-related:

Code: Select all

pjotr@medion-akoya:~$ lsmod | grep bt
btusb                  45056  0
btrtl                  16384  1 btusb
btbcm                  16384  1 btusb
btintel                16384  1 btusb
bluetooth             548864  43 btrtl,btintel,btbcm,bnep,btusb,rfcomm
this is pretty sad for linux or even windows/mac if things left running in the background eats up battery for no reason. i would like to live in a universe where the my phone/laptop stays on STANDBY and batter is preserved when i turn off the screen not give it open invitation to a millennium party for all apps to consume precious watts as soon as the owners finger is away from the touch screen.

how would you go about disabling the bluetooth driver ? i don't have a laptop now but someone may find it useful. ah, nevermind https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... .html#ID15 :)

BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:35 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:57 pm
But I am wondering WHY MX-Linux is the most "viewed" distro right now?
And you clicked on it too? Great! Congratulation, their popularity rised by 1. Next clicker, come in, please.
But last time you ever click on Mint was few years ago. Guess why? Because you don't need to do this, your Mint already installed long ago and is in front of your eyes.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it

famicommander
Level 1
Level 1

Post by famicommander » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:42 pm

Pepi wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:38 am
I tried it out and I thought ... meh. Don't see the big deal to MX
The appeal is that it's a familiar environment to Debian/*buntu/Mint users but with more bleeding edge hardware support and the same ease of use and configuration, especially with respect to nonfree drivers/codecs/applications, that Linux Mint has become known for.

Like I posted earlier, I couldn't even get Mint to boot into a live environment or install with the stock kernel on the machine I just built. There are probably workarounds that could get me onto a newer kernel, but it was easier to just burn up an MX disc. So that's what I did, and I don't seem to be missing anything from Mint that I use on my other three machines.

It isn't some new, revolutionary thing. It's just a midweight, easy to use, up to date but fairly stable distro.

Return to “Chat about Linux”