Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Chat about Linux in general
trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by trytip » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:14 pm

BigEasy wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:35 pm
... Guess why? Because you don't need to do this, your Mint already installed long ago and is in front of your eyes.
two men are at the end of the world and "THE ALL EVERYTHING" says a wish will be granted, but after that everything will cease to exist. "THE ALL EVERYTHING" points to "THE FOUNTAIN OF EVERYTHING" and says "drink from this water and everything will be revealed, but drink fast the universe is about to vanish into non-existence.

the "glass is half full" man settled into his content, knelt down and began to fill his glass.
the "glass is half empty" man, already done filling his glass was halfway done drinking, giving him enough time to learn the secrets of "everything" by which means he saved the "glass is half full man" and everything else

... moral of the story is, here at mint we already drank the kool aid :D and are way beyond saving the world
[offtopic/]

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:13 am

famicommander wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:42 pm
The appeal is that it's a familiar environment to Debian/*buntu/Mint users but with more bleeding edge hardware support and the same ease of use and configuration, especially with respect to nonfree drivers/codecs/applications, that Linux Mint has become known for.
Yes, quite true about the non-free drivers. I have a HP Pavilion dv2 netbook with a Broadcom wifi adapter - no DVD-drive. With Win Vista or Win 7 installed, the Broadcom wifi works ootb. Booting the Live LM 19.0 Cinnamon USB, the Broadcom wifi does not work ootb. Booting the Live MX-Linux 18.1 USB, the Broadcom wifi works ootb.
....... I believe a proper install of MX-Linux 18.1 on the HP netbook will also have the Broadcom wifi working ootb.

Seems, non-free or proprietary device drivers(eg Broadcom and Realtek wifi adapters) are supported ootb by only a few Linux distros like antiX-Linux/MX-Linux, Bodhi Linux, Elementary OS, PCLinuxOS, Zorin OS, Gentoo, etc. Also, deepin, Sabayon and Gecko Linux. Scratch Gentoo = correction. .......
https://www.quora.com/Which-is-the-best ... op-drivers - Which is the best linux distro, which supports all laptop drivers?
Last edited by michael louwe on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:19 am

michael louwe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:13 am
Seems, non-free or proprietary device drivers(eg Broadcom and Realtek wifi adapters) are supported ootb by only a few Linux distros like antiX-Linux/MX-Linux, Bodhi Linux, Elementary OS, PCLinuxOS, Zorin OS, Gentoo, etc.
Complete bollocks. Most Realtek WiFi chipsets (not adapters!) are being supported OOTB by Mint and Ubuntu. Sometimes you need to install a newer Realtek driver, but that's about it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:16 am

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:19 am
michael louwe wrote:
Seems, non-free or proprietary device drivers(eg Broadcom and Realtek wifi adapters) are supported ootb by only a few Linux distros like antiX-Linux/MX-Linux, Bodhi Linux, Elementary OS, PCLinuxOS, Zorin OS, Gentoo, etc.
Complete bollocks. Most Realtek WiFi chipsets (not adapters!) are being supported OOTB by Mint and Ubuntu. Sometimes you need to install a newer Realtek driver, but that's about it.
Not in these cases ....... viewtopic.php?f=53&t=300276 - [solved] Realtek RTL8821CE wifi not working on Lenovo ideapad 130-15IKB
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=300025 - [SOLVED] WiFi not working, hard blocked (RTL8821CE)
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=299125 - Wifi not working on Lenovo Legion Y530

rjsrjs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rjsrjs » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:49 am

I was Just curious, I tried MX-Linux on a live USB drive. It was hard for me to understand it at the time (maybe 1 year ago) so I haven't tried it since. I'm sticking with something I know, Linux Mint.

handsomegenius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by handsomegenius » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:03 am

Having the most views on Distro Watch would mean that you've got a lot of interest from regular distro hoppers or from people who have a reason to change.

The great mass of people though who are happy with their distribution and are getting on with the rest of their lives aren't going to be loading that website at all.

Alexa rank might be a better way to gauge the actual popularity, though that data can skew in a whole bunch of ways as well.

To some extent, an Alexa rank is more a measure of how many of your users are regularly engaged with your blog or forum. A distribution with a very active forum is going to crush the Alexa rank of an equally popular distribution whose users hang out on Reddit.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:12 am

rjsrjs wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:49 am
I'm sticking with something I know, Linux Mint.
I'll repeat here what I've written in another thread:

Mint is still king for me, as well.... Reliable, stable, long term supported, polished, nifty tools, looking good: what's not to like? :)

All that distro hopping is well and good for people who start out with their Linux adventure, but soon you learn: all those distro's are much more alike than they differ. They all have a Linux kernel, they all have Firefox or Chromium as default web browser, same with Libre Office, Grub, etc. etc. All those major components come from upstream.

A distro, any distro, is essentially made according to this recipe: pick some upstream software, glue it together, do some appearance tweaks and hey presto: your new baby distro is born. Now Mint happens to have some very good glue... :mrgreen:

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:14 am

michael louwe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:16 am
Pjotr wrote:
michael louwe wrote:
Not in these cases ....... viewtopic.php?f=53&t=300276 - [solved] Realtek RTL8821CE wifi not working on Lenovo ideapad 130-15IKB
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=300025 - [SOLVED] WiFi not working, hard blocked (RTL8821CE)
What in the words "Most Realtek WiFi chipsets" didn't you understand in my previous message?

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 am

michael louwe wrote:.Seems, non-free or proprietary device drivers(eg Broadcom and Realtek wifi adapters) are supported ootb by only a few Linux distros like antiX-Linux/MX-Linux, Bodhi Linux, Elementary OS, PCLinuxOS, Zorin OS, Gentoo, etc. .
Pjotr wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:14 am
michael louwe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:16 am
Pjotr wrote:

What in the words "Most Realtek WiFi chipsets" didn't you understand in my previous message?
What didn't you understand in my previous to previous message.?

It's your message of "Complete bollocks." to my post that I did not understand. My post stated that Broadcom and Realtek Wifi adapters(or chipsets) are not supported ootb by most Linux distros which has been proven by the links I provided. Did I say ALL Realtek Wifi adapters.?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:20 am

michael louwe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:04 am
My post stated that Broadcom and Realtek Wifi adapters(or chipsets) are not supported ootb by most Linux distros which has been proven by the links I provided. Did I say ALL Realtek Wifi adapters.?
By all normal semantic standards: yes, you definitely did. Is English not your primary language?

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:44 am

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:20 am
michael louwe wrote:
My post stated that Broadcom and Realtek Wifi adapters(or chipsets) are not supported ootb by most Linux distros which has been proven by the links I provided. Did I say ALL Realtek Wifi adapters.?
By all normal semantic standards: yes, you definitely did. Is English not your primary language?
Do you like to go around putting words in people's mouth and then make false accusations against them, like "Complete bollocks.".?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:58 am

michael louwe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:44 am
Pjotr wrote:
michael louwe wrote:
Do you like to go around putting words in people's mouth and then make false accusations against them, like "Complete bollocks.".?
Well, you've just proven that my assessment was entirely correct. :lol:

But continuing this discussion is clearly fruitless, as you apparently seem unwilling or unable to abide by the rules of logic. So: bye bye for now. Until the next nonsense that needs to be debunked.

Or in simplified terms (as a courtesy): Gone here. But will expose future bollocks.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:03 am

Pjotr wrote:. ...
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=276910 - USB Wi-Fi Device Realtek RTL8811AU
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=300945 - RTL8723B WIfi driver problem
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=295485 - Realtek RTL8188FTV WiFi USB Adapter [SOLVED]

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:16 am

Pjotr wrote:.I'll repeat here what I've written in another thread:

Mint is still king for me, as well.... Reliable, stable, long term supported, polished, nifty tools, looking good: what's not to like? :) .
"Empty vessels make the most noise."
Pjotr wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:58 am
michael louwe wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:44 am
Pjotr wrote:

Well, you've just proven that my assessment was entirely correct. :lol:

But continuing this discussion is clearly fruitless, as you apparently seem unwilling or unable to abide by the rules of logic. So: bye bye for now. Until the next nonsense that needs to be debunked.

Or in simplified terms (as a courtesy): Gone here. But will expose future bollocks.
Bye bye for now but will expose future false allusions and false accusations too.

Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:58 am

I've spent a lot of time with MX Linux and its cousin antiX. They are great distributions but in my opinion their appeal is to a different, much smaller audience than Mint. I keep MX Linux around and keep experimenting with it because I've found that in some situations it can be useful for getting Linux to work on difficult hardware. Its unique brand of persistence allows it to run un-installed much like an installed program. It is also attractive because it is directly Debian based. But all of my regularly used machines run Mint. As Pjotr said all of the distributions are very much alike and can do about the same things. It is all about what the individual is comfortable with. Mint in my opinion has a wider appeal and that should be obvious to anyone who has worked with both.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:29 pm

Guys. Pjotr and Louwe, you've been members here too long to act like this with each other.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:06 pm

How can MX Linux be more popular than Mint when it lacks Basic Tools that Mint has as Default...someone's paying someone. Image Image :evil: :roll:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:27 am

bob466 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:06 pm
How can MX Linux be more popular than Mint when it lacks Basic Tools that Mint has as Default...someone's paying someone. Image Image :evil: :roll:
compare search results between "mx linux" and "linuxmint".

https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22MX+lin ... orm=OSDSRC
1,250,000 results

https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22linuxm ... 6C129A1EE4
19,700,000 results

You get ONLY 6.34% as many hits on MX Linux and the rest are Mint LInux.

For just the past year;
MX Linux = 257,000 results for 9/3/2018 - 9/2/2019
Linuxmint = 999,000 results9/3/2018 - 9/2/2019

Still about 4:1 in favor of Linux Mint. No worry.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

philotux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by philotux » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:05 am

bob466 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:06 pm
Would you please mention some of those basic tools, for the sake of comparison?

cheeers

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:47 am

lexqbit wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:42 am
Suggestion for the forum admins, their should be spam category where post like this can be moved to, I am sorry to the original author but this is not really a question that helps a particular user more of a spam question.
Thank you, but as a moderator, I disagree. It's not spam; nothing is being promoted or sold. It's chat and it's fine for it to be in the chat section.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”