Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Chat about Linux in general
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Why is MX-Linux more popular than LinuxMint?

Post by michael louwe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:08 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:27 am
bob466 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:06 pm
How can MX Linux be more popular than Mint when it lacks Basic Tools that Mint has as Default...someone's paying someone. Image Image :evil: :roll:
compare search results between "mx linux" and "linuxmint".

https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22MX+lin ... orm=OSDSRC
1,250,000 results

https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22linuxm ... 6C129A1EE4
19,700,000 results

You get ONLY 6.34% as many hits on MX Linux and the rest are Mint LInux.

For just the past year;
MX Linux = 257,000 results for 9/3/2018 - 9/2/2019
Linuxmint = 999,000 results9/3/2018 - 9/2/2019

Still about 4:1 in favor of Linux Mint. No worry.
Google Search results for "linux mint", "ubuntu" and "debian":

https://www.google.com/search?biw=980&b ... k4Q4dUDCAo
12,400,000 results.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=980&b ... ZYQ4dUDCAo
179,000,000 results.!

https://www.google.com/search?biw=980&b ... ykQ4dUDCAo
84,400,000 results.

So, by your logic, Ubuntu is 14X more popular than LM and Debian is 7X more popular than LM. Yes worry.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:43 am

You did results for all time. I did them just for the previous year. Some distros have been in existence longer than others, therefore unless you limit the results for the last year's time, the results will not give an accurate view of one year's search results for each one of them. Some search results could entail the last 10+ years, while another distro being in existence for lesser years, would of course show far less than expected. You therefore provide an inaccurate comparison. Unfortunately, Google doesn't seem to give only a total amount of results within a one year span.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:45 am

Google Trends:

Google Trends indicates that Ubuntu and Linux Mint are both the most popular.

https://trends.google.com/trends/?geo=US

Google Trends further indicates that MX Linux is gaining in interest/popularity at a level ALMOST equal to Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Simply fill in the words "Ubuntu", "Linux Mint" and "MX Linux" yourself in Google Trends.

While Distro Watch might not be the most reliable source of information to conclude what is the most visited site, I guess that Google Trends is less easy to manipulate.

I started this very post. I LOVE LinuxMint as the best Linux OS out there. I really do. Even after trying out MX Linux for a second time, I still do believe Linux Mint is the best, user friendly Linux OS available. I was simply wondering WHY MX Linux has gained so much interest lately. And MX Linux DOES HAVE 1 particular great feature that Linux Mint does not have: Live usb persistence and the possibility to create a personal ISO of your OS, which you can give to friends and family on a cheap usb stick. PLUG AND PLAY.

OSDisc.com has closed shops. As of now it is no longer possible to refer to this great Linux support site any longer. But MX Linux DOES provide this possibility to give a (customized) Linux OS to your friends on an affordable, cheap usb stick. My wish is that in some way, Linux Mint will pick up on this great feature. I can only see good things come from this comparison.

I must point to the fact that very few contributors to this post mention any reasons WHAT makes MX Linux different from Linux Mint or Ubuntu. That was the reason why I started this post. WHY has MX Linux gained ( a perceived) interest/popularity?

I would love to gear/stear this post towards DIFFERENCES people have EXPERIENCED between using MX Linux and Linux Mint/Ubuntu. There arent't many differences. There really arent. But there are some. Are those FEW differences enough to convince people to wanna try out an entirely new Linux OS? I did try MX Linxu and I found exactly 2 differences that made me wanna continue to use it as an alternative:

1: The Usb Live Persistence option and the ISO option, with which one can actually create it's own customized OS ISO, which is UNIQUE!

2: A lightweight, battery power efficient OS. Although Linux Mint Xfce/Mate could be used as an alternative as well. There isnt much difference in battery power efficiency between several lightweight Linux Oses, although MX Linux is one of the best battery power efficient Linux OSes, while simultaneously MX LInux is still providing users with popular sofware.

I have listened to a Youtube review about MX Linux. It stated that the reason why MX Linux gained interest was because of the fact that certain Linux users were no longer satisfied with Manjaro. This is not a negative Linux Mint post. It is MERELY TRYING to figure out what are SOME of the features that make other Linux distributions (like MX Linux) interesting....

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:03 am

Google Trends has linux mint far exceeding MX for year 2019. I used the comparison method, rather than putting both MX and Mint into the same search line.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... mx%20linux
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:14 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:43 am
You did results for all time. I did them just for the previous year. Some distros have been in existence longer than others, therefore unless you limit the results for the last year's time, the results will not give an accurate view of one year's search results for each one of them. Some search results could entail the last 10+ years, while another distro being in existence for lesser years, would of course show far less than expected. You therefore provide an inaccurate comparison. Unfortunately, Google doesn't seem to give only a total amount of results within a one year span.
Debian was released in 1993. Ubuntu was released in 2004. Linux Mint was released in 2006. Your reasoning does not compute.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:24 am

michael louwe wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:14 am
Debian was released in 1993. Ubuntu was released in 2004. Linux Mint was released in 2006. Your reasoning does not compute.
LOL, you need to recompute. You just confirmed my point.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:31 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:03 am
Google Trends has linux mint far exceeding MX for year 2019. I used the comparison method, rather than putting both MX and Mint into the same search line.

Maybe part of the reason Google Trends has LM far exceeding MX for year 2019 is because LM has far more problems than MX with ootb experience(= lack of non-free device driver support), installation, normal operations, updating, upgrading, etc. Like they say, bad publicity is still publicity.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:36 am

Spearmint wrote:You did results for all time. I did them just for the previous year. Some distros have been in existence longer than others, therefore unless you limit the results for the last year's time, the results will not give an accurate view of one year's search results for each one of them. Some search results could entail the last 10+ years, while another distro being in existence for lesser years, would of course show far less than expected. You therefore provide an inaccurate comparison. Unfortunately, Google doesn't seem to give only a total amount of results within a one year span.
Spearmint2 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:24 am
michael louwe wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:14 am
LOL, you need to recompute. You just confirmed my point.
No, by your logic, Debian(1993) should have more search results than Ubuntu(2004) and Ubuntu(2004) should not have 14X more search results than LM(2006).

MX Linux was only released in 2014.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:37 am

michael louwe wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:31 am
Spearmint2 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:03 am

Maybe part of the reason Google Trends has LM far exceeding MX for year 2019 is because LM has far more problems than MX with ootb experience(= lack of non-free device driver support), installation, normal operations, updating, upgrading, etc. Like they say, bad publicity is still publicity.
That's nothing but slanderous conjecture (and highly unlikely conjecture as well). My goodness, trolling can apparently be a fascinating hobby for some... :shock:

There's nothing wrong with being "dead weight" on a forum as far as the spreading of knowledge is concerned. We have broad shoulders. But spreading of unfounded negative rumours is very wrong indeed.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:47 am

Spearmint2 wrote:....
Past 1 year Bing search results for "debian", "ubuntu" and "linux mint":

https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22debian ... 8A24107684

https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22ubuntu ... 589608443D

https://www.bing.com/search?q=%22linux+ ... 7EE79F6840

Ubuntu is 3.5X more popular than LM and Debian is 1.5X more popular than LM. Yes worry still.
Last edited by michael louwe on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:50 am

All I can say is: please stop feeding the troll, people.... A troll's appetite is unquenchable. And the result of his appetite will only create more manure.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:51 am

linux mint down.png
mx linux up.png
I am merely indicating/pointing to a trend over several years in Google Trends. The above pictures does NOT provide that info though, it merely provides the 2018 TREND. Simply fill in a 5 year period yourselved, I dont wanna overflow this post with pictures.

When one looks a bit closer at the long term results (5 years of Google Trends) one sees an upward,yet fluctuating trend for MX Linux and a stable (most popular) trend for Ubuntu and Linux Mint. (5 year period)

AGAIN, I am not really interested in WHAT is the most (perceived) popular Linux OS, right now, but I am interested in WHY a certain (MX LInux) OS has gained an increased interest recently. There is an undeniable increase in interest of MX Linux. WHY? That was my very first question of my very first post. Why? One can deny there is an increase. I can really understand some of those arguments. I can totally understand those who get frustrated about this post, because POPULARITY in general, is a NON issue.

BUT the reason why I started this post, was because I was trying to find a lightweight alternative to Cinnamon, which uses less battery power. MX Linux is one of those choices. And YES, there is a positive buzz, interest about that MX Linux at this moment. But WHY?
Last edited by carum carvi on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 am

Good, at least you got it accurate this time. However, based on your concepts, I must wonder why Ubuntu and Debian have so many people seeking answers for all their problems with those systems, LOL.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:57 am

carum carvi wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:51 am
BUT the reason why I started this post, was because I was trying to find a lightweight alternative to Cinnamon, which uses less battery power. MX Linux is one of those choices. And YES, there is a positive buzz, interest about that MX Linux at this moment. But WHY?
That's what you've stated multiple times. Don't you think this thread has generated enough attention by now? And more importantly, enough negativity?

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:57 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 am
I must wonder why Ubuntu and Debian have so many people seeking answers for all their problems with those systems, LOL.
I totally agree. Ubuntu and LinuxMInt are the most popular and most used Linux OSes. But that positive fact (about LinuxMint) was the reason why I posted this question. Since this post wont stop evoking reacions after I posted it as solved, I wanted to steer it in a more fruitful direction about the differences between Linux OSes, which we can all learn, borrow or benefit from in a positive way.
Last edited by carum carvi on Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:04 am

This is like tossing a rock at a wasp nest, or pissing on a hill of fire ants. You know you shouldn't, but.....damn.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:05 am

Spearmint2 wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:55 am
Good, at least you got it accurate this time. However, based on your concepts, I must wonder why Ubuntu and Debian have so many people seeking answers for all their problems with those systems, LOL.
So, both yours and my concept may be wrong. :D

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:31 am

This thread is not going to result in anything but squabbling. OP, if you want to post a new thread asking whether MX Linux might be a good fit for you (which seems to be what you are actually interested in), please go ahead. This one has run its course.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Chat about Linux”