Chat about Linux in general
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Bedrock Linux

Post by Arch_Enemy » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:11 am

Greetings:

Haven't been here for a while.

For the past few days I have been playing with "Bedrock Linux". It lets you run packages from other Linux distributions on whatever platform you want as a base.

Since Mint was listed as "needs more testing" I decided to install Ubuntu as the main distribution, and then loaded my old friend Arch as another "stratum".

It was a bit tough going at first, but after a few failures I began to get the hang of it. So, now I have an Ubuntu front end and am able to run some of my favourite packages from Arch.

Now, the only problem is, the packages I wanted to try this with are no longer available from either distribution. The main reason I ran Arch was because they were still available, and now they're gone. That's the way it goes.

So now my next experiment will be to load up all the packages I want, and then try to make a USB of the whole mess. I have actually been installing more Arch packages because of the amazing configurablity of Arch, but it will have to be based on Ubuntu to try and roll a USB from it.

After I pull the rest of my hair out, I'll get back to you.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Bedrock Linux

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:23 am

Heheheheheh...you sir are a maschist...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:57 am

hi lexqbit, dont worry too much about Arch_Enemy, he has been with LM for years now and knows his way pretty well around other linux operating systems as well.

He just has this love/hate relationship with arch linux, hence his name of "Arch_Enemy"...lol...He loves to experiment, hence my joke about him being a masochist...lol...DAMIEN

PS...He didnt have any question here, he is just keeping us up to date on his latest "Adventure".
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:43 am

To install Bedrock Linux:

- Install a traditional Linux distro to use as a starting point. See here for reports of how well Bedrock interacts with various distros.
- Download the latest installer corresponding to your CPU architecture from here or build your own from here.
- Run the script as root with the --hijack flag: sh ./bedrock-linux-release-arch.sh --hijack
- Reboot.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:21 pm

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:57 am
hi lexqbit, dont worry too much about Arch_Enemy, he has been with LM for years now and knows his way pretty well around other linux operating systems as well.

He just has this love/hate relationship with arch linux, hence his name of "Arch_Enemy"...lol...He loves to experiment, hence my joke about him being a masochist...lol...DAMIEN

PS...He didnt have any question here, he is just keeping us up to date on his latest "Adventure".
Masochist, indeed!

I have learned my lesson, however...I will NOT be updating the Arch side AT ALL!
Shoot, Ubuntu snuck a kernel update by me and I had all kinds of havoc! Bedrock always defaults to the kernel of the distro you installed BEFORE injecting it into Bedrock, and then uses that kernel to run the other distros, too. Well, when Ubuntu got the kernel upgrade in, Arch loaded, said WHat The Heck, and neither one would load the graphics driver, since there were no kernel drivers. I edited GRUB to make it point to the intial kernel and everything is good now.

Rolling it onto a USB didn't work so well. It takes everything from Ubuntu and goes into Kernel Panic on boot. Have to figure out how to make it use the Bedrock files to accomplish booting.

No for the good part: when you install the 2nd Linux version, it takes the FIRST one installed and puts it in the directory of the 2nd. So I have TWO Ubuntu file systems. When all was said and done the copied files were 52Gb, and it squashed down to 9.5Gb, but it all fit onto a 16G thumb drive.

Now, to just solve the booting problem.

However, the other guy was right: I can roll a Mint USB in a little over a half an hour: copying the file system and squashing it take up the bulk of the time.
And, a lot of the things I was using Arch for in the first place are either no longer available, or the libraries can't be loaded (and forcing them is what causes my issues with Arch in the first place) so now it's a Do it just to say I Did It project. :lol:

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:23 pm

Pierre wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:43 am
To install Bedrock Linux:

- Install a traditional Linux distro to use as a starting point. See here for reports of how well Bedrock interacts with various distros.
- Download the latest installer corresponding to your CPU architecture from here or build your own from here.
- Run the script as root with the --hijack flag: sh ./bedrock-linux-release-arch.sh --hijack
- Reboot.
8)
Oh, I got it going. And I got it running pretty smooth.

It's rolling a working USB that is giving me trouble. That and I put it on far too small a HD. Staples and Clonezilla can solve that! :wink:

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:30 pm

Oh, and about that kernel update! Since Bedrock is the gateway to the others, if a kernel update gets incorporated into an installation of another package, it screws up the initrid file. The package manager has no idea what's going on and just keeps trying to generate a new init over and over until it gives up. It was all still working until I changed something that allowed the package manager to create the image, but it didn't know how to update the dependencies, so I was trying to run an Nvidia driver built for 5.0.0-23 against a 5.0.0-27 kernel. I tried it manually but no go.

Aside from that, Arch fell back to it's own kernel, and was trying to run a driver with NO dependencies against that, since your second install is the driver only, because it's leaning against the first installed kernel.

It can get to be quite a mess.

Return to “Chat about Linux”