Neptune 6 - worth checking out

Chat about Linux in general
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Neptune 6 - worth checking out

Post by deanr72 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:58 am

A KDE distro, based on Debian 10, with up-to-date apps, kernels and drivers?

Any of you guys checked it out?

I've installed it as my back-up and not only does it visually score 10/10 - it's silky smooth. The Excalibur menu as default is also a real USP.
Attachments
Webp.net-resizeimage.png

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Neptune 6 - worth checking out

Post by KBD47 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:07 pm

Neptune was buggy last time I tried it. Q4OS seems a good Debian-based choice for KDE.

deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:13 am

KBD47 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:07 pm
Neptune was buggy last time I tried it. Q4OS seems a good Debian-based choice for KDE.
I've not encountered any bugs as of yet. I'll check out Q4OS though. Thanks for the tip.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:28 pm

deanr72 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:13 am
I've not encountered any bugs as of yet. I'll check out Q4OS though. Thanks for the tip.
Discover constantly crashed for me on Neptune.
I installed Q4OS yesterday with Plasma and Discover worked fine. So far impressed with Q4OS.

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:00 pm

I've used Q4OS in the past and was pleased with it. Have Debian with KDE currently installed on one of my ThinkPads and it's working just fine. What does Neptune offer that plain ol' Debian doesn't?

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:08 pm

KBD47 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:28 pm
deanr72 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:13 am
Discover constantly crashed for me on Neptune.
I installed Q4OS yesterday with Plasma and Discover worked fine. So far impressed with Q4OS.
If you like KDE, try KDE neon.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:52 pm

catweazel wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:08 pm

It's on my to-do-list :)

deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:23 pm

catweazel wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:08 pm
I have actually.

In fact, it was via Neon that I first discovered just how easy it was to configure the KDE DE the way I like it in Xfce (very minimal, all hidden system tray icons, icon-only task bar for switching between open apps etc.). This also led me to discover just how light on resources KDE is as well whilst being able to look so much better than Xfce.

However, I also found Neon (and then later Kubuntu) to have too many bugs: the text on menus and windows sometimes overlap or simply disappears, panel widgets constantly crash, Discover constantly chokes whenever it tries to update, etc.

On top of that I really like the stability of Debian but I'm way too much of a newbie to work with straight Debian - plus the fact that I've been pampered by being a Mint Cinnamon then Xfce user since I began using Linux. Thus the desire to find something as close to Debian as possible but with all the hard work done for me.

I've been playing around with Q4OS all day today and I have to say it is very nice. Some aspects of it - for example the Desktop Profiler on start-up that lets you choose whether you want to start with a full desktop, a mid-range set of apps, or just the bare bones - is something I've never seen before. I'm not suggesting you switch from Neon but I'd suggest checking it out if you have time.

deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:26 pm

Neil Edmond wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:00 pm
I've used Q4OS in the past and was pleased with it. Have Debian with KDE currently installed on one of my ThinkPads and it's working just fine. What does Neptune offer that plain ol' Debian doesn't?
Everything ready to rock and roll without any hassle. It comes fully equipped with pretty much all the apps, drivers etc. that I need and it looks darn good too.

Having said that, based on a recommend here to check out Q4OS I might be leaving Neptune behind earlier than I'd expected :lol:

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:38 pm

deanr72,
You would find Debian non-free live iso a fairly painless way to install vanilla Debian. Comes with an easy installer and firmware and codecs out of the box. It's what I use to install Debian:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:35 pm

deanr72 wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:23 pm
However, I also found Neon (and then later Kubuntu) to have too many bugs: the text on menus and windows sometimes overlap or simply disappears, panel widgets constantly crash, Discover constantly chokes whenever it tries to update, etc.
Yet I never experience anything like that (touch wood <taps self on head>). For me it's rock solid and I have to work hard to break it.

Thanks for the tip on Q4OS. I'll take a peek.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Oh Noes! More new stuff to check out! :wink:

However, I am a MATE fan. I really liked the Windows 95 interface, and you get all that and more with MATE.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:29 pm

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:41 pm

However, I am a MATE fan. I really liked the Windows 95 interface, and you get all that and more with MATE.
I actually liked Windows 95, and I liked Win 98 SE2, XP & Win 7. I think Microsoft had too many users for their taste and decided with Windows 8 & 10 to make using it so utterly horrible to try and shake the tree of loose fruit - users that weren't trapped into staying. I happened to be some of the loose fruit that fell, and have been full time Linux since 2015.

But seriously, for me personally, there is no DE that is as intuitive as Cinnamon. I've tried them all, KDE looks amazing, xfce is super fast, etc., but Cinnamon is so logical in its layout that it makes using it perfect for me. And I have to say, Cinnamon is truly faster and lightweight in this latest incarnation.

deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:51 pm

Just for the record, I'm going to try running Neptune 6 as my main OS.

I played around with non-free Debian and encountered the following issues:

- After logging out and logging in again I would sometimes lose administrator status. I'd have to go into to user profiles and reset myself as having admin privileges
- The non-free iso is packed full of apps. But barely any that I have any interest in using. I was surprised just how bloated this Debian version is
- Spellchecker in LibreOffice doesn't work. I had the same issue with Kubuntu which required downloading and installing manually a later version from the LO website
- The log-in screen looks dreadful!

As for Q4OS, none of the problems listed above but I'd basically end up making it look like Neptune and installing the apps which Neptune mostly has anyway - so doesn't seem much point. Plus, I'd rather not has an extra DE included for the sake of it and Q4OS KDE seems to come only with Trinity installed alongside it. And as they've added some of their own tools and custom apps I figure there's more chance something can go wrong.

Neptune 6 to me seems like the basic Debian with a more attractive look than bog standard Breeze (imo) and not too much else on top of a good choice of applications.

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:08 pm

deanr72 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:51 pm
And as they've added some of their own tools and custom apps I figure there's more chance something can go wrong.

Neptune 6 to me seems like the basic Debian with a more attractive look than bog standard Breeze (imo) and not too much else on top of a good choice of applications.
Well, I think that's something a number of distros lack - any odd script or custom tool to make some task a wee bit easier/automatic.

Anyone can do some artwork branding and themes changing and with different assortment of applications, call it a different distro. Can't see why that's worth checking...

deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:01 am

ColdBootII wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:08 pm
Anyone can do some artwork branding and themes changing and with different assortment of applications, call it a different distro. Can't see why that's worth checking...
"Neptune definitely has a place." DT from Distrotube disagrees :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiH6wW-jO6E

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:15 am

^Yes, but I still don't understand what took your fancy about it. It's fair to say, I didn't have much opportunity to test in live session because KWin wages war against my hardware and Nouveau driver. But if you do fancy beefy distros, I think Netrunner Indigo could be better choice if they still stick to that philosophy.

In the KDE4 days, while they were Kubuntu based, they were the only KDE distro that shipped with Smaragd preinstalled/configured with some Emerald themes included too. :mrgreen:

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:24 pm

felemur wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:29 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote:

I actually liked Windows 95, and I liked Win 98 SE2, XP & Win 7. I think Microsoft had too many users for their taste and decided with Windows 8 & 10 to make using it so utterly horrible to try and shake the tree of loose fruit - users that weren't trapped into staying. I happened to be some of the loose fruit that fell, and have been full time Linux since 2015.

But seriously, for me personally, there is no DE that is as intuitive as Cinnamon. I've tried them all, KDE looks amazing, xfce is super fast, etc., but Cinnamon is so logical in its layout that it makes using it perfect for me. And I have to say, Cinnamon is truly faster and lightweight in this latest incarnation.
I was working for Dell when Win8 and Win10 hit the streets.

Talk about taking a decent operating system and turning it into a mess.

The thing is they wanted to try and mimic the operating systems on their (Nokia) phones so the user could have a "Singular experience".

If I wanted to use my phone as a computer, I wouldn't be here... :wink:

Oh, and I really HATE "flat". Ugh.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

felemur
Level 5
Level 5
Location: In the middle of 1000's of acres of corn & soy fields in a house full of cats.

Post by felemur » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Arch_Enemy wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:24 pm
felemur wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:29 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote:

I was working for Dell when Win8 and Win10 hit the streets.

Talk about taking a decent operating system and turning it into a mess.

The thing is they wanted to try and mimic the operating systems on their (Nokia) phones so the user could have a "Singular experience".

If I wanted to use my phone as a computer, I wouldn't be here... :wink:

Oh, and I really HATE "flat". Ugh.
LOL - well, they succeeded! Using Windows 8 & 10 is unique in being a singularly horrible pain in the butt experience. Still, I'm happy they did it as I love Cinnamon Mint Linux even more than Windows 7, XP or 98 SE 2. Thanks Microsoft for pushing me out of the nest into (Mint) greener pastures!

Return to “Chat about Linux”