Help is on the way maybe!

Chat about Linux in general
OppieS
Level 1
Level 1

Help is on the way maybe!

Post by OppieS »

I have recently started putting together a basic website to server up manpages , info . and help menus in the browser without opening a terminal.
the plan is to make it easy to navigate and pleasing to view will also providing a download link to a printable full doc. i hope to add user registration soon after launch . Doing this will allow for community edits and increased security against vandals. please message me if you could get into this project. currently all my pages are generated in the terminal. I am having an issue with the proper links being written to the docs although. I look forward to any in-query or comments. (edit all pages are in html)
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not a support request; moved to chat

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Help is on the way maybe!

Post by gm10 »

https://manpages.ubuntu.com/

(also you're off-topic for this forum section)
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Or http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/index.html, which is a little nicer though not tied to Ubuntu versions.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

OppieS
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OppieS »

gm10 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:06 am

(also you're off-topic )
can you point me in a good direction also i hope to build a paywalled site with parts of the web app built open-source i directly attribute and others a team will build.
Last edited by Moem on Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote. Make sure to always use a closing tag [/quote] after a quote. Just like in HTML, tags should not be left open.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

A pay-walled site for Linux manuals. You do you I guess. ;)

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

What are you going to offer that will make people pay to view, otherwise gratis, manpages.
DLC, season passes or loot boxes for manpages? But I'm not an entrepreneur so yeah, you do you :wink:

Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

OppieS wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:29 am
gm10 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:06 am

(also you're off-topic )
can you point me in a good direction also i hope to build a paywalled site with parts of the web app built open-source i directly attribute and others a team will build.

I am sorry but I do not understand this. This is Linux and I would expect my help pages to be free. Sorry!!!!

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

OppieS wrote:
... i hope to build a paywalled site with parts of the web app built open-source i directly attribute and others a team will build.
You must be joking. I certainly hope so.

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Actually, you might be able to go the paywalled route. I've been thinking about this and I have an idea.

First off, of course, the content must be relevant, well-written, and accessible. But, do the following:

Get a buzz started about the site. Do whatever you need to do to make this happen (keep it legal, of course) and initially leave it open, but promise to keep adding content, and deliver on that promise.

Start charging, giving sweetheart deals to initial users, and then charge really high rates for your premier, "best on the Internet" content. Let the buzz about your site build to the point it's kind of crazy. In time, various people will try and break into your site. Even if your site doesn't get huge, it's going to be a challenge for someone, or maybe several people.

When they break in — and I assure you, they will — go after your hosting provider along with whomever provided Internet connectivity which was used to access your site by the ne'er-do-wells, suing them for every last penny you can wring out of them.

If successful, you can possibly retire on the money, and never need to do anything again.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously... are you out of your mind? Who in the world is going to pay for information and advice they can get for free with little more than a simple, relevant Google search?
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

“The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.” — Ambassador Kosh

Still looking for a new job.

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

OppieS wrote:
i hope to build a paywalled site with parts of the web app built open-source i directly attribute and others a team will build.
So you're hoping to charge users for something that they can get for free in lots of other places AND you want this to be built using open-source software (which I'm guessing you're equating to "free") by some team (which I'm also guessing will work for you for free).

We have a saying where I come from: Yeah Nah.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Custom tower w/Mint 18
HP laptop w/Mint 18
Acer w/W10/Mint 18.3
Macbook w/El Capitan/Mint 18.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 30/Mint 18.3/Mint 19.2
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

For useful commands, I simply redirect the manpage to a text file. Same for help pages. That way, they can be read with whatever application you choose e.g. Kate in my case, which has an excellent navigation sidebar. No need for an internet connection either. :)

Code: Select all

man program > /path/to/desired/directory/man_program.txt
(Alter accordingly).

Your initial idea may be nice but you'd need to have good content of your own making if you're thinking of adding paywalls etc..
powerwagon75 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:34 am
Like this one?

https://linux.die.net/man/
I like the look of that! Might be handy when on a different system (don't worry, not M$ :wink:).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

BG405 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:22 pm
For useful commands, I simply redirect the manpage to a text file. Same for help pages. That way, they can be read with whatever application you choose e.g. Kate in my case, which has an excellent navigation sidebar. No need for an internet connection either. :)

man program > /path/to/desired/directory/man_program.txt
(Alter accordingly).
How about:

yelp man:program

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

gm10 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:26 pm
How about:

yelp man:program
Thanks not seen that one before. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Return to “Chat about Linux”