Launch new App with left-click

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
redalien0304

Launch new App with left-click

Post by redalien0304 »

Have Ubuntu 18.04.3 With Cinnamon DE Installed. Trying be able to get "left-click to Launch new App from the Panel".
Have it that on another system that works with Cinnamon DE on it. Cannot setup on this system (left-click to Launch new App from the Panel). It is a Fresh New install.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
redalien0304

Re: Launch new App with left-click

Post by redalien0304 »

BUMP Anyone??
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Sorry, but since this is not about any version of Mint, your topic has been moved to the Chat section.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Right click on the panel, select add to panel and make sure you have the Panel-Launcher applet active on the panel in question. If your Cinnamon is version 4.0.x or later you can use the Grouped-Window-List applet as an alternative.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
redalien0304

Post by redalien0304 »

Tried as suggested
"Right click on the panel, select add to panel and make sure you have the Panel-Launcher applet active on the panel in question. If your Cinnamon is version 4.0.x or later you can use the Grouped-Window-List applet as an alternative."
Did not work for me.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

redalien0304 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:17 pm Did not work for me.
Please expand...which bit did not work?

What Cinnamon version are you running in any case?

cinnamon --version run in a terminal will tell you.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
redalien0304

Post by redalien0304 »

Have Cinnamon 4.0.9
if i right click on Nemo Preferences Remove 'Grouped window list', all my Launchers disappear from panel Launcher. When add Nemo back to Panel then they are on the right side of panel launcher & then panel edit mode to ON & Drag the Launchers to the Left Side, turn Panel edit mode OFF. I can Launch Nemo, Firefox, with single Left-Click of Mouse, but do not see Instance of Nemo, Firefox, Running on Panel Launcher Only the Panel Launchers.

Thanks for any help Please
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

OK with Cinnamon 4.0.x you have two basic setups available

1) Grouped-Window-List providing launcher and window-list facility. If you allow pinned apps you can use it as left click to launch except if you've got a instance of a pinned app already open. If there's already an instance open you can hold Ctrl as you left click, or you can right click to open a new instance via the context menu, or you can set in the grouped-window-list config to use middle click to launch a new instance.

2) Panel Launchers providing launchers, and either regular window-list or grouped-window-list (with app pinning set to off in it's config) providing window-list functions. The Panel launchers will always act as launchers - left click to launch.

Applet configs can be accessed via right click on the applet in question or the Applets settings module.
Last edited by smurphos on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
redalien0304

Post by redalien0304 »

Could please Elaborate on how to set up then 2nd Option you mentioned. Would be much appreciated Thanks.

I think i know of way to accomplish the same thing not sure though? I did this on a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04.3.
Installed Ubuntu 18.04.3, installed my WiFi driver, did all updates, installed Cinnamon via terminal (no PPA). Have Cinnamon 3.6 then, reboot, do update & upgrades, install embrosyn cinnamon PPA, reboot again, do update & upgrades cinnamon 4.0.9
I also remove Ubuntu-desktop, Ubuntu-session, & install Slick-greeter light-dm, & remove gdm.
I have done that 1 or 2 times i think.

Thanks for any help Please.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

OK first reset your panel to default.

Right click on Panel > Troubleshoot > Restore all Settings to Default.

Then right click on one of the default pinned apps in Grouped-Window-List > Preferences > Remove Grouped Window List.

Then right click on the Panel > Add Applets to Panel. In the GUI that opens select Panel Launchers and add and then Window List and add.

Then with at least one window open right click on panel and check Panel Edit mode. Drag the two new applets to the desired panel zone. Uncheck Panel Edit mode.

Finally restart Cinnamon with the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Alt-Esc

If you prefer the Grouped-Window-List to the regular Window-List you can keep it or add it back in. But you'll need to disable app pinning.

Right click on a Grouped-Window-List icon > Preferences > Configure > Panel > Uncheck Show Pinned Apps.
redalien0304

Post by redalien0304 »

Thanks it Worked for me.
steve-s
Level 1
Level 1

Post by steve-s »

Helped me too!

thanks
GreenFrog

Post by GreenFrog »

Thank you smurphos!
If one chooses Panel Launchers + Window List Applets instead of Grouped window list, the placement of the pinned or newly created icons in the panel is not straightforward. For instance if one wants everything on the left:
Check on 'Panel Edit Mode': move first the newly created icons on the far left of the panel then move the pinned Launcher Icons on the far left.

Return to “Chat about Linux”