Did you expect that you'll use Linux?!

Chat about Linux in general
deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Did you expect that you'll use Linux?!

Post by deepakdeshp »

If you talk about the most of the languages or tools, I believe that Linux is 2nd to none and most of the times bests Windows. Windows isn't the most popular os anymore, that honour goes to Android, a Linux variant. Proprietary software is no match for open source. Not for nothing the top 500 super computers are either Linux and Unix.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

absque fenestris
Level 8
Level 8

Post by absque fenestris »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:23 pm
If you talk about the most of the languages or tools, I believe that Linux is 2nd to none and most of the times bests Windows. Windows isn't the most popular os anymore, that honour goes to Android, a Linux variant. Proprietary software is no match for open source. Not for nothing the top 500 super computers are either Linux and Unix.
Android is already based on Linux, but does this "Google-Linux" still have much to do with GNU/Linux systems?
macOS is also based on FreeBSD, Mach and NeXT - but nobody associates that with it.
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)
Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa (Mate) 64-bit - MacBook Pro 15" (Intel Core2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD) - with some separation difficulties...

treehouse
Level 2
Level 2

Post by treehouse »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:23 pm
If you talk about the most of the languages or tools, I believe that Linux is 2nd to none and most of the times bests Windows.
You "believe"...that's fine. I believe it would be rather difficult to tally up what counts as "most of the languages or tools" and which OS is better served, but it's irrelevant to my point. I don't want to learn 20 different languages or use 1000 different tools, I want to do the things I've described, relatively easily, learning one or two languages (preferably just one), and I defy you to show that it's better to do that on Linux than Windows. I've searched, and come across a bunch of people who agree, who regret not being able to switch to Linux, but finding that particular applications aren't available or - specifically, AutoHotkey, has absolutely no substitute. I wouldn't be arguing with you if you just had a different preference on how you use a computer, but you're ignoring what I've said and pretending I'm wrong about it, providing no evidence of that. What do you program on your computer? Is it a desktop, a laptop, a smartphone, a tablet? Do you write native applications? Do you write cross-platform applications? Do you use Python or some other language and what do you do with it? Do you write batch scripts to automate stuff, or AutoKey or Actiona(z) scripts? Which OS is "best" isn't a simple "X wins", it depends on all manner of other things.
Windows isn't the most popular os anymore, that honour goes to Android,
By a hair, and only if you include all the smartphones! For desktops and laptops in personal computing, Windows is much more popular.
Have a look at the graph here:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001777.htm

And in my experience, it's been much easier writing scripts to manipulate how my Android phone works, or writing native apps on it, than trying to do the same on Linux, by a country mile. As I said, "your mileage may differ."
a Linux variant.
What of it? They're all machine-code variants. Should we all interact with our computers in assembly language? Android isn't a 'variant' in the sense of user-experience, only design history (assuming it is, I didn't know and don't much care). Android doesn't involve all the complexity of choosing and installing distros, then figuring out why it won't connect to the Internet, finding a driver on another machine to download and transfer on a flash drive, joining a forum to understand the first thing about how to use the file system or anything else and finding everyone saying "It's complicated - read everything you can!" You buy a phone or tablet and prod it. Google does the hard work for you.
Proprietary software is no match for open source.
No match? In what way? You've just managed to persuade yourself that Linux wins because Android is a 'variant' of it, but Android is brought to you by one of the biggest companies on the planet (or is it the biggest?) - if that's not proprietary software beating the sheep out of open source, I don't know what is. Meanwhile, Microsoft is resting gently on its enormous mile-high mattress of cash, from its proprietary software...and all the other proprietors who saw that it was popular and made applications that worked on it.
Not for nothing the top 500 super computers are either Linux and Unix.
But what is that 'not nothing' reason? It's because...it's blindingly fast? Irrelevant.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

I won't indulge in these flam wars. I don't have the time. I have my opinions which are pretty firm.
May be you even won't agree to this article too.

https://www.educba.com/linux-vs-windows/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

treehouse
Level 2
Level 2

Post by treehouse »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 am
I won't indulge in these flam wars. I don't have the time. I have my opinions which are pretty firm.
May be you even won't agree to this article too.

https://www.educba.com/linux-vs-windows/
Well there's no need for any of this to be a 'flam war'. I expressed my opinion, after long and fruitless attempts to do what I want on Linux, starting from this pro-Linux position:
I can't accept the insult of forced downgrading to Win10, so trying again to get Linux to do what I'd like it to. My wishes are probably unusual, so I don't blame the OS, and I'm sure it can do what I want, it's just a lot of learning away yet. Sometimes it feels like it's just too far away.
After yet another attempt, I finally decided I'd had enough banging my head against this particular brick wall. For me, in the circumstances, Linux has proved to be a poor choice. That's all.

You jumped in with the bland statement, "Linux is ideal for developers", with a link to a popularity poll, and I agreed with you, but pointed out I'm not exactly a "developer" - I don't develop software for a living or for wide distribution or for cross-platform use, which is what that term implies. If you actually bothered to read what I want to do with a computer, you might learn something, but you have your opinions, "which are pretty firm," so you post to tell me I'm wrong and Linux is the best operating system. You said it's the most popular, which isn't particularly important, but is also quite wrong. You said open source software beats proprietary software, also a fairly meaningless emotional position and despite the evidence of the massive supremacy of companies like Microsoft and Google. The success of the latter you even tried to include in a win for Linux, through Android being based on it.

Now you link to something particularly silly (but what can you expect when the title is "the nine most AWESOME differences between Windows and Linux"? I quote:
Usability: Linux is complicated to install but has the ability to complete complex tasks easier ; Windows gives user’s (sic) a simple system to operate but it will take a longer time to install.
This is the work of an idiot. If something is more complicated to install, how does the other thing take longer? And if the one completes complex tasks easier, how come the other is a 'simple system to operate'?

Then there's the nonsense that the command line is better on Linux because on Windows you have to open the Run dialogue and type cmd. Oh no!

And how about this, "In Linux user has access to the source code of kernel and alter the code according to his need." Yes, that's a great advantage, the user being able to muck about with the OS's source code. Who does that?

The devil is in the detail, and these bland phrases aren't helpful. Saying that Linux is highly customizable based on user needs is true, but misleading - it's often quite difficult and involves a lot of learning to customize Linux in ways that don't break it. Contrasting this with, "Windows has very few customization options available," is also misleading: it depends on what kinds of customization you're talking about, but you can change all sorts of things, display elements, power settings, menu contents and operation...and there's an enormous amount of software out there that'll customize just about anything you can't do natively. One thing you can customize is how updates are notified, downloaded and installed, apparently something the author of the piece didn't discover: "In windows, updates will come at inconvenient times such as you are giving a print to the printer but suddenly update pop up will come which makes users frustrate and took more time to install." It's a setting. You just type something of its name in a box, click on the relevant system dialogue heading and switch it to your desired scheme. You can even list the updates Windows intends to install, read about what they do, and choose which ones you want and don't want. Apparently that's too difficult, unlike rewriting the kernel source code.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Lets boil it all down...personally I hate Windows 10 with a bloody passion and have no use for it.

But for many others, its totally useful and works for them.

Smart phones with Android or Apple technology...I also personally hate with a bloody passion, and will never personally use them myself.

But for the greater number of folks, its totally useful and works for them.

Linux OSs and everything about Linux GNU etc., I totally LOVE it and all open source technology.

Is it for everybody???

Hell No...What this boils down to is nothing more, than "To each, His own", Whatever works the best for YOU, IS the best for YOU, my personal opinion or preferences, do not count.

Too many arguments about good and bad...There is good and bad with all systems discussed here.

What is good for one is bad for another and visa versa...It eventually boils down to personal choice and belief in the product offered.

Everything that is on the plate being offered is nothing more than an alternative to each unique system that is offered for public use and is up to the individual user to choose what is best and most useful for THEM.

To Each His Own...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Return to “Chat about Linux”