Ubuntu Cinnamon?

Chat about Linux in general
farkas
Level 4
Level 4

Ubuntu Cinnamon?

Post by farkas »

Just came across this article dated December 8, 2019. It's still December 7, 2019 in my time zone.
First Ever Release of Ubuntu Cinnamon Distribution is Finally Here!
https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-cinnamon/
Did ubuntu finally realize that cinnamon is a very popular DE for an average user who is sick and tired of windows?
Is it just trying to push aside a popular distro like Linux Mint? Or worse, squash it altogether?
A quote from the article:
"Do note that Ubuntu Cinnamon is not an official flavor of Ubuntu. They are trying to get the flavorship but I think that will take a few more releases."
Just wondering about whats going on. Ideas and/or opinions?
Downloading ISO now to see what its all about.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Ubuntu Cinnamon?

Post by smurphos »

They are a community group who want a decent Cinnamon desktop experience on a purely Ubuntu base. Nothing more and nothing less.

I don't have much hope for success for them - I had a little bit of interaction with them as they seemed to want to use my Adapta fork as their default theme at one point which i've got no problem with - but the brief conversation i had with one of them didn't inspire me with confidence that they actually know what they are doing. :mrgreen:
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Mint has no monopoly in Cinnamon, many distros offer it. Here's a few:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon_ ... )#Adoption

Hugh Neutron
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hugh Neutron »

Cool. I made Ubuntu Cinnamon on 19.04 in a VM when I was bored.

basically there are people I know that use i3buntu or Ubuntu Deepin it's all possible to make unofficial flavours if you know what you are doing.
GNU/SystemD/Linux(the kernel)/X.org/Debian 9 (testing) forked/Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS (Bionic Beaver)/Linux Mint 19.2 (Tina) Cinnamon edition

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

smurphos wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:08 am
but the brief conversation i had with one of them didn't inspire me with confidence that they actually know what they are doing. :mrgreen:
Heh, true, I'm actually very surprised they even managed to get the .iso together. The guy who started it was entirely clueless about just about everything when it started out. But hey, we all have to start somewhere, and they didn't do anything but add a theme and a wallpaper plus a meta-package to pull in Cinnamon (which has always been in Ubuntu's repos, anyway). They entire custom content is this:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntucinnamonre ... ubuntu/all

Pretty funny they manage to market that as a distro/remix/whatever. Next every theme maker will release their own distro. ;)
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

the Mint 17.x Cinnamon desktop is what pulled me away from Windows 7 several years ago.

Prior to that, I was working full time as an IT support in a Windows shop and they forced us to use only Windows runtime at home, to tunnel into our workstations.....

I looked at a lot of DE versions, and discarded them all as just too plain junky, or incomplete, or needing too much of a Vertical Knowledge level to be able to use them.

When I found 17.x Cinnamon, I knew that I had finally found a way to get away from the Blue Screens, and Microsoft enforced updates that stole my PC away from me for hours at a time while it updated.

I loved that Mint updates can wait until I have the time to look at them......
After a few years of dabbling with Mint, and getting educated by this forum, I gotten more comfortable with Linux as a whole, and with Cinnamon in particular....

I have a laptop on 18.3 Cinnamon, it was great also, right up until the WiFi died.....
I decided to upgrade to a faster one with double the memory.

and with 18.3 almost at End of Life, I am super tickled that 19.3 beta Cinnamon feels just like 18.3, only with a lot of improvements.

I have no reason to look for any other DE, Cinnamon works very well.... and with my new super fast laptop, it is not laggy at all.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

151tom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 151tom »

I'll just stay with good old Ubuntu 18.04 LTS because unlike some users I like Gnome and have no complaints with it.

Linux Mint Cinnamon and Linux Mint Xfce and LMDE 3 are OK Linux Distros however I just like and prefer Ubuntu 18.04 LTS over Linux Mint.

The only Linux Mint version I use is LMDE 3.

Linux is Linux from my experience as the Linux Distros I use and have used all worked very well.

t42
Level 3
Level 3

Post by t42 »

About linked by OP article. Please note the article headline "First Ever Release of Ubuntu Cinnamon Distribution is Finally Here!"
"Finally" and "!" implied that at last we've got advent of something long-awaited and unavailable before. It is a click-bait.

Several years ago I had Dell with Ubuntu factory preinstalled. I immediately added to it Cinnamon from Ubuntu's repo. The Cinnamon was fine but system as a whole was somewhat unstable. So after several days I installed LM on that laptop and had on it less crashes in four years than during my four Ubutu days... :)

For someone with inquiring mind, - there is a good Debian Cinnamon official DVD, Buster as well as Bullseye. Both doing fine of my PCs (though I vowed to myself not to try to install gm10 tools on it :D )
-=t42=-

wiz22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wiz22 »

I must ask, will the Linux Mint team switch back to Ubuntu then? I mean aren't you guys like the "founders" of this thingy? Will the Ubuntu and Mint team finally join hands together and slay that spyware/malware/virusinfested/insecure monstrosity called Windows 10?

Mint is based on Ubuntu right? Is there a plan to merge? What's stopping the Mint team from doing so?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

wiz22 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:13 pm
Is there a plan to merge?
No.
wiz22 wrote:
What's stopping the Mint team from doing so?
Having their own ideas about the Linux desktop, which the Ubuntu devs don't share. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

wiz22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wiz22 »

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:04 am
wiz22 wrote:
Is there a plan to merge?
No.
wiz22 wrote:
What's stopping the Mint team from doing so?
Having their own ideas about the Linux desktop, which the Ubuntu devs don't share. :wink:
Sorry for my ignorance but is it about the repositories? Not entirely sure how they work and reading about it just confuses me more...but in short it's a bad thing and Mint is trying to avoid it? I can understand that at least :D

But I really wish the entire Linux community could just unite under one single Desktop :(

karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

wiz22 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:41 am
But I really wish the entire Linux community could just unite under one single Desktop :(
I really do not understand human logic:
If people have got no choice, they will complain and ask for alternatives to choose from.
If they have got the choice, they will complain that choosing is too diffuclt, and request all choices to be eliminated.
Be happy that you have got the freedom to choose. It is one of the best properties of the Linux universe, the freedom to choose from more than 1 alternative.
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

wiz22 wrote:
:roll: Surely you realise that people have different preferences and priorities?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

wiz22
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wiz22 »

karlchen wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:55 am
wiz22 wrote:
I really do not understand human logic:
If people have got no choice, they will complain and ask for alternatives to choose from.
Like Windows 10 or steam or monopolies yup! Totally agree!
If they have got the choice, they will complain that choosing is too diffuclt, and request all choices to be eliminated.
I have tried red hat on a CD, gentoo, slackware, debian, and sooo many more..never ever have I complained that any of them would be "difficult" or to be eliminated. I eliminated my alternatives/options to what I actually wanted, which in the end was a user-friendly open-source and free distro, Linux Mint.
Be happy that you have got the freedom to choose. It is one of the best properties of the Linux universe, the freedom to choose from more than 1 alternative.
I am very happy with Linux, I love the entire idea of open-source, which is why, if I may ask, what freedom to choose does Windows 10 users have? So many gaming friends have asked to try for Linux but I don't have the heart to lie to them, it's just not friendly, you have to do more than just "click and it works" and considering that they really aren't interested in doing such tasks it means they too eliminate Linux as an option.
Moem wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:03 pm
wiz22 wrote:
:roll: Surely you realise that people have different preferences and priorities?
What different preferences does Windows 10 users have? I quite find they all have the same preferences. Everything "just works". Isn't this what Linux Mint is striving to do? Isn't this something Ubuntu Cinnamon are trying to do as well? Why divide? Unite! Make one great distro as a true alternative for Windows, free, open-source, it would smash that virus-infected telemetry pile of *** to pieces! I'm working with machines that has monitors on Windows, software is Windows, BUT the machines themselves are all running in LINUX! My teacher laughed and said "if only Linux had a user friendly distro this wouldn't be a thing". My god. The more I see medical machines, phones, cars, everywhere is Linux but nowhere is a user-friendly distro?

Took me a while to reply but there you go! I love linux, and I want to share that love with my friends so they truly see what a masterpiece it is, but if the games don't work or it's too complicated it will also be no option.

ok im done :3 peace!

EvC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EvC »

Two screenshots to give you an impression of Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix 20.04 unstable.
Ii has a Cinnamon Layout Switcher (forked from Ubuntu Maté?). It is not visable here:

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

The downside of Ubuntu Cinnamon unless they set up a backports repo is that as soon as Mint 20 is released (with Cinnamon 4.6.x), Ubuntu Cinnamon will have an out of date Cinnamon version.

A layout switcher is a nice idea - I'd like Mint to get rid of the Modern/Traditional toggle the Welcome screen and instead offer an settings app with a larger selection of pre-made panel set-ups and applet layouts.

Is there an pre-release ISO available somewhere for the 20.04 version?

Edit - found the PPA -https://launchpad.net/~ubuntucinnamonre ... u/unstable - I can add it to a regular Ubuntu 20.04 beta snapshot i guess.

Further edit - the layout switcher installs fine on Mint 19.3. Shame is doesn't offer a backup current layout option before experimenting. Shame they didn't integrate it as a Cinnamon Settings module.

Further edit - definitely unstable - the layout switcher installs a couple of third party applets and an extension two of which are older than the current spice versions so don't actually work with Cinnamon 4.4.8... :roll: Still nice to see them trying to differentiate.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I did an install of Ubuntu Cinnamon about 3 weeks ago, I just plainly did NOT like the look, or the feel of it.

Not nearly as intuitive as 19.3 Cinnamon...
for me, I am not wanting a different look to Mint's desktop.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EvC
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EvC »

With the focal fossa server ISO (daily build) I was able to install Ubuntu with Cinnamon core.
In this way I completely customized Ubuntu 20.04 Cinnamon-minimal. Just look at the number of packages installed and compare it to Linux Mint.
It is a pity that a server boots with a huge text terminal. We are now waiting for the netinstall ISO so that it can also be solved just fine.

Two images of the distribution in VMware:

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

Moem wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:03 pm
Indeed. That's why it's called freedom of choice.

wiz22 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:51 pm
What different preferences does Windows 10 users have? I quite find they all have the same preferences. Everything "just works". Isn't this what Linux Mint is striving to do? Isn't this something Ubuntu Cinnamon are trying to do as well? Why divide? Unite! Make one great distro as a true alternative for Windows, free, open-source, it would smash that virus-infected telemetry pile of *** to pieces!
“...does Windows 10 users have”?

Pure fallacy. People in most societies from childhood are repetitively brow-beaten into submission and compliance so they "just get along" instead of rocking the boat. A lifetime of this induces a certain degree of complacency, and (as is document in children) drums out their sense of wonder and inquiry and striving to learn new things or generally be creative.

In any event, in Windows, users have little choice. That is not the same thing as "it is how they want it to be", and not by a long shot. If Windows were GNU+Linux-like in the desktop environment aspect of operations, I've no doubt we would see lots of different desktops in use.

I'm working with machines that has monitors on Windows, software is Windows, BUT the machines themselves are all running in LINUX! My teacher laughed and said "if only Linux had a user friendly distro this wouldn't be a thing". My god. The more I see medical machines, phones, cars, everywhere is Linux but nowhere is a user-friendly distro?
Strictly with respect to the desktop space, GNU+Linux is not everywhere. While there may be some imbedded instances where there's freedom, in general the imbedded space is totally restrictive, only using those elements of it (the Linux kernel, for example, and maybe some of the GNU toolkit or other odd bits) because it's more robust, or stable, or somesuch. But I've never been to a hospital or a doctor's office or a clinic of any description where all the non-imbedded instances were systems that ran anything but Windows.

What's holding back GNU+Linux adoption is availability of software as much as anything. I guarantee that if doctor's offices and hospitals and other industries were otherwise fully able to get done what they needed to in a distro instead of Windows, and were champing at the bit for it, hardware vendors would see what side the bread was buttered on and support that platform instead of shunning it. Give a company an incentive, and they will do as you ask. Funny little thing, that.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

Return to “Chat about Linux”