The Linux community did it again

Chat about Linux in general
Metuka
Level 1
Level 1

The Linux community did it again

Post by Metuka »

When I was thinking about ditching Windows and getting some Linux distro instead, one of the aspects that was crucial in my decision was the huge amount of people willing to provide a foolproof, step-by-step explanation that could potentially solve most problems I may encounter. Sometimes they would also offer references and tweaked programs, so I felt I could try safely. Yesterday I learned how crucial this support can be.

I have an Android phone that's been a total pain for months. At first it was just some minor annoyances, but the problems escalated. I knew the only viable solution in the end was to flash the thing, but considering I knew someone with the same phone who almost got it fried thanks to the effing flashtool malfunctioning, I was kinda wary. However, in the end I had no choice, so I decided to take the plunge. The manufacturer used to offer the flashtool for both Ubuntu and Windows, but they discontinued the Ubuntu one due to some technical issues and a massive case of can't-be-bothered-itis, because there was this random member of the public who kept and older version of the app and modified it so it could still work on Ubuntu. Still, getting the manufacturer's official, newer version would be more sensible, right?

Wrong.

I'm not gonna tell the whole story because it's long and irrelevant, but after trying the manufacturer's version on a Windows laptop, I became the owner of quite an expensive paperweight. If I didn't fix it, I'd need a new phone and I wasn't willing to because the thing was barely one year old. At that point, getting the Ubuntu-friendly tweaked older version as a last ditch effort didn't seem like a bad idea. Besides, the guy who did the whole thing wrote a very detailed tutorial and my cell was a goner anyway. I downloaded and installed the app and at first nothing changed. Then suddenly, my phone's serial number popped on the flashtool window. Light at the of the tunnel. I just followed the very simple steps and now my phone is as good as new.

Moral of the story? Some random, selfless, tech-savvy guy took the time and effort to tweak a program and write a tutorial on how to use it. That selfless gesture saved my phone. He didn't have to do that, but he chose to and there are many other thankful cellphone owners on the forum where he posted his fix. I love that sense of community and I'm extremely thankful for it. It has become one of the main reasons I won't return to Windows unless I absolutely have to and I know I won't. Thank you, guys.
Avatar by photojenni on Trend Hype.com

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: The Linux community did it again

Post by Moem »

Hear, hear!
*stands up and applauds*

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre »

that's a Nice Story - - it's great that you got your 'phone working, again..
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Metuka wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:14 am
...Moral of the story? Some random, selfless, tech-savvy guy took the time and effort to tweak a program and write a tutorial on how to use it. That selfless gesture saved my phone. He didn't have to do that, but he chose to and there are many other thankful cellphone owners on the forum where he posted his fix. I love that sense of community and I'm extremely thankful for it. It has become one of the main reasons I won't return to Windows unless I absolutely have to and I know I won't. Thank you, guys.
Finding simple, complete, step by step instructions for anything computer related is like pulling teeth with tweezers...while blindfolded. People who are able and willing to write (or make a video of) simple, complete, step by step instructions are rare and should be blessed in every way possible. I'm glad you were able to find one and get your problem resolved

Fortunately, we have some very good, patient people on this forum that are willing and able to help hopeless noobs to Linux like me.

Metuka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Metuka »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:01 am
Finding simple, complete, step by step instructions for anything computer related is like pulling teeth with tweezers...while blindfolded. People who are able and willing to write (or make a video of) simple, complete, step by step instructions are rare and should be blessed in every way possible. I'm glad you were able to find one and get your problem resolved
Indeed. The supposedly-idiot-proof guide for the official program was basically "install program, hit certain combination of keys in your phone, connect phone to computer, let program take care of everything". I suppose it will work for most phones, but it completely froze mine and there was no FAQ or troubleshooting for noobs available. Should've got the unofficial Linux version in the first place.
Fortunately, we have some very good, patient people on this forum that are willing and able to help hopeless noobs to Linux like me.
Indeed again. Cinnamon is very pretty, but lurking around these forums for a couple of days was what finally tilted the scales and made me choose Mint over Ubuntu.
Avatar by photojenni on Trend Hype.com

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

It doesn't matter how idiot-proof someone makes something because someone else will start making better idiots.

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

I agree with the sentiments. There should be "thanks" buttons at the bottom of each post, so we can show appreciation as, and when, we find a post helpful. Threads like this are good, but often, those who are diligently working "behind the scenes" don't have the time or inclination to read these sorts of threads.

Anyway, I, too, am extremely appreciative of the efforts of those who put in the time and effort to assist with making Linux Mint the best OS "out there".
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Chat about Linux”