Chat about Linux in general
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Re: What is this all about? (Canonical)

Post by MurphCID »

karlchen wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:31 am
In case Microsoft should ever acquire Canonical, then this will be the end of Ubuntu as we have known it.
We are Microsoft. Lower your firewalls and surrender your developer accounts. We will add your source codes and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your operating system will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. [1]
LOL!

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:14 am
karlchen wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:31 am
In case Microsoft should ever acquire Canonical, then this will be the end of Ubuntu as we have known it.
We are Microsoft. Lower your firewalls and surrender your developer accounts. We will add your source codes and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your operating system will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile. [1]
LOL!
I know. I read it in the exact vice used by the Borg in The Best of Both Worlds.

I don't think Microsoft would acquire Canonical just to get Ubuntu. If they decided to acquire then, it would be to get at their existing professional services, assuming they felt Canonical was worth buying. I don't really see the present CEO doing that.

Besides, buying up a distro wouldn't "give them" GNU+Linux ownership. It's not the product of any singular individual, and besides, I think it's fair to say there are many in the dev community who would never agree to sell no matter how much money was on the table.

The only thing that concerns me is that GNU+Linux needs to become an international institution before all of the long time major contributors finally die off, because I don't know that I would trust their estate executors in the way I trust them.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire

TheOmniad-2020
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

It's obviously their endgame, at which point I would no longer use anything from Canonical. MS is clearly getting their admins and users used to the Linux way - Win10x is basically a Linux distro in all but name & kernel. I'm ready to jump ship & use a minimal distro & Emacs if it happens, but it's pretty clear it will happen sooner or later, if not Canonical then Red Hat, there's no stopping the rapine & rapacious beast that is MS.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:52 pm
It's obviously their endgame, at which point I would no longer use anything from Canonical. MS is clearly getting their admins and users used to the Linux way - Win10x is basically a Linux distro in all but name & kernel. I'm ready to jump ship & use a minimal distro & Emacs if it happens, but it's pretty clear it will happen sooner or later, if not Canonical then Red Hat, there's no stopping the rapine & rapacious beast that is MS.
One thing that you seem to have ignored is that, today, Microsoft dwarfs even google as the #1 contributor to Linux and open source. With a profound dislike of anything Microsoft, you should, in order to be consistent, move away from GNU/Linux completely and go to OS/2.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

TheOmniad-2020
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

I know they've poured a lot of money into Linux but that's different from owning a distro outright. As I said, I'm willing to go pretty far to escape them.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:10 pm
I know they've poured a lot of money into Linux but that's different from owning a distro outright. As I said, I'm willing to go pretty far to escape them.
Microsoft is far from being flawless, but it has changed for the better. Extreme views are born out of an unwillingness to change perspective and recognise reality as it is rather than as it was. It doesn't do anyone any favours to hang on to them as if one's life depended on it.

TheOmniad-2020
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

Am I allowed to dislike the company and not use their products? I don't see that they've changed at all, myself, and since I have negative-zero desire to ever use any MS product ever again if I can help it I'll be sure to avoid them now and in the future.

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:52 pm
but it's pretty clear it will happen sooner or later, if not Canonical then Red Hat, there's no stopping the rapine & rapacious beast that is MS.
I don't see it happening that way. If anything, I think they'll build their own Distro that doesn't rely on another. And because it's Microsoft, at lot of people will try it as their first attempt at using Linux. They might even make it super simple to dual boot. And if they do it right (not likely,) they could translate the drivers across to Linux so "everything works" when users try it. No more waiting for updates to get new hardware working.

wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

I saw this ad today listed at the top of the Linux Mint forums (as a matter of fact, it is being displayed
right at this very moment above the area where I am typing this Linux Mint forum posting.

It says in fairly big print on the left side of the ad (Canonical ----- Microsoft Partner).

Either these two organizations currently have some definite relationship going on or this
is false advertising, one or the other. My guess is that there is nothing false about it !!!

Thanks.

Well, can't attach the screenshot I made of it (says it is too large), but if you will open
the Linux Mint forums website a few times, you are bound to see it.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition

rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

wpshooter wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:33 pm
Either these two organizations currently have some definite relationship going on or [ ... ]
You are 4 years late with your discovery: https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... indows-10/

wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

rene wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:07 pm
wpshooter wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:33 pm
Either these two organizations currently have some definite relationship going on or [ ... ]
You are 4 years late with your discovery: https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... indows-10/
Seems to me that this topic has been discussed on forums before and I don't remember anyone ever pointing out that
little fact. Perhaps it is sort of supposed to be a little secret so that people will not say well if MS is going to wind up
with it all being their ballgame, then why are we wasting our time on this Linux stuff.

Thanks.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition

Kadaitcha Man
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

wpshooter wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:33 pm
Seems to me that this topic has been discussed on forums before and I don't remember anyone ever pointing out that
little fact. Perhaps it is sort of supposed to be a little secret so that people will not say well if MS is going to wind up
with it all being their ballgame, then ...
You've just been told that it's not a secret, yet here you are, still peddling a conspiracy.
why are we wasting our time on this Linux stuff.
Why are you wasting our time on this stuff.

wpshooter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wpshooter »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:49 pm
wpshooter wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:33 pm
with it all being their ballgame, then ...
You've just been told that it's not a secret, yet here you are, still peddling a conspiracy.
why are we wasting our time on this Linux stuff.
Why are you wasting our time on this stuff.
Because for years and years, it has been prompted as a "free" alternative to MS, but all of this "MS - partner"
stuff leads me to believe that that free thing will soon be a thing of the past, because just like everything else
in this world "it is all about the money or there is no such thing as a free lunch or at least not forever".

I hope I am wrong but I suspect that in a few years, you will be paying the same price for using Linux that you
now pay for using MS.
Mint 20 mate 64 bit.
SERVICE > competition

MrEen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by MrEen »

Canonical isn't Linux. They could disappear tomorrow and Linux will still be here. Well have to change distros, but it'll still be Linux.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

wpshooter wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:05 pm
... but all of this "MS - partner" stuff leads me to believe ...
That happens because you are selling yourself a conspiracy theory and buying it. It would pay to get your facts straight before believing your mad imaginings. Normal people check themselves and do at least some basic research before spouting crap.

A Microsoft partner gets access to advanced tools and development resources. There is no shame in being a Microsoft partner. If it bothers you so much, find another distribution.

CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

Most likely what will happen is that Microsoft will do what Apple did. They will license BSD, refine it into their own kernel, and then put the File Explorer DE on top of that to replace the current NT kernel based operating system. They are already integrating Linux into Windows 10. They will likely flip that with the new kernel and integrate the old NT based kernel with the newer Linux kernel to run legacy software. Then just dump NT after a while.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

CaptainKirksChair wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:11 am
They are already integrating Linux into Windows 10.
They have no choice. Their cloud services, including Azure, O365, SharePoint Online, Business Intelligence et al, run on Linux. It's accurate to claim that Linux dominates inside Microsoft.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... ws-server/

Not a recent reference, but you get the idea.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Thanks for that clarifying link Kadaitcha Man. It puts this whole thread into perspective, without any fears of Microsoft "eating up" the open source Linux community.

For those to impatient to read the link...
Even former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer, who infamously said, "Linux is a cancer," now says he loves Linux.

There are now at least eight Linux distros available on Azure. And that's not counting Microsoft's own Azure Sphere. This is a software and hardware stack designed to secure edge devices, which includes what Microsoft president Brad Smith declared "a custom Linux kernel".

It's now a Linux world -- even at Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, Washington.

Years ago I had already read about Microsoft's intention to gain marketshare into the Internet of Things; basically relating to new machines in your house (smart fridge). Linux is a PLUS, a necessary POSITIVE tool to remain competitive in a new technological world for Microsoft. It is not a bad thing PER SE, that Microsoft is paying and buying commercial Linux developer's companies. It only means that Linux MATTERS. Linux IS the way to go FORWARD! And Microsoft is simply realising that Linux is the way forward (and they already realised this fact years ago...........................)

Kadaitcha Man
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

carum carvi wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:16 am
Thanks for that clarifying link Kadaitcha Man. It puts this whole thread into perspective, without any fears of Microsoft "eating up" the open source Linux community.
No worries. I work in this field and I'm forced to use Microsoft products. I have no love for Microsoft or their products; their web-based services are the most bug-riddled messes I've seen in 40 years of being in this industry, but at the same time, I don't feel it's even remotely productive to believe and promote one's own insane, unchecked conspiracy theories like some people seem to be doing around here.

erginemr
Level 4
Level 4

Post by erginemr »

MrEen wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:47 pm
Canonical isn't Linux. They could disappear tomorrow and Linux will still be here. Well have to change distros, but it'll still be Linux.
Well said. Besides, the news is just speculation. Mr. Shuttleworth is enthusiastic about the propagation of Linux for years, and I don't think he will give up his ideals anytime soon.

On the other hand, Ubuntu forms the base of quite a few distros out there including Mint, which might have a devastating effect, should MS acquire Canonical and later claim ownership for its codes or repositories. If worse comes to worst, it is reassuring to know that Mint has also been developing a Debian branch (LMDE) as a backup plan.
Free as in free speech...

Return to “Chat about Linux”