Level 20
Level 20

Re: Ideas on Budget Laptops...

Post by Moem »

carum carvi wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:41 pm
I am convinced! :D
Took you long enough... :P

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

I only bought one laptop new. Since then I only shop for used stuff, mostly old Thinkpads and Dells. I do not need anything new or fancy just a good 'old' keyboard on them and durability. I also can and did upgrade parts, e.g. the RAM.

My actual daily driver is a ten years, maybe even eleven old Dell Latitude maxed out to 16 GB RAM. It is a powerful i5 machine I bought for under 200 €. It runs every Linux distribution I can find on Distrowatch. :)

I have a couple of sites where I buy those. They offer refurbished desktops and laptops.
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Just a request to all those Dell Latitude and HP Probook owners out there, are those machines completely compatible with Linux? No wifi, video or fan noise problems? Are they just as smooth and easy going with Linux as the Lenovo Thinkpads are? That video posted by Portreve made me suddenly realize that there is potentially an even bigger trustworthy secondhand pool of great computers out there: all those computers for the corporate market. Never knew those were of higher quality. Yes Moem, it feels as if I have suddenly seen the light :mrgreen: I feel a bit like a kid, who realizes there is a new candystore in town and the prices of all these goodies are dirtcheap! :D
blackcarajillo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by blackcarajillo »

carum carvi wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:49 pm
Never knew those were of higher quality.
Usually they just work out of the box, except the finger print readers. At my home we only have old corporate Dells and Thinkpads.
Keep in my mind those devices back then were expensive and are of better quality than today's consumer products.
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

carum carvi wrote:
Just a request to all those Dell Latitude and HP Probook owners out there, are those machines completely compatible with Linux?
I have always had great luck with Dell Latitudes and Linux. Typing to you right now on my venerable old E6410, worked perfectly out of the box. I also had Dell Precisions and Netbooks (all pre-2010) that worked with no issues. This E6410 I'm on right now is a tank, made mostly of metal with a REAL non-chicklet keyboard. God I hate those, and they are pretty much all you can get on new laptops. You can get one all day long in excellent condition on Ebay for less than $100.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

carum carvi wrote:
Just a request to all those Dell Latitude and HP Probook owners out there, are those machines completely compatible with Linux? No wifi, video or fan noise problems? Are they just as smooth and easy going with Linux as the Lenovo Thinkpads are? That video posted by Portreve made me suddenly realize that there is potentially an even bigger trustworthy secondhand pool of great computers out there: all those computers for the corporate market. Never knew those were of higher quality. Yes Moem, it feels as if I have suddenly seen the light :mrgreen: I feel a bit like a kid, who realizes there is a new candystore in town and the prices of all these goodies are dirtcheap! :D
I use exclusievely refurb HP business laptops (Pro/Elite book). They have always worked out of the box with Linux. The hardware is usually a bit older. Wi fi always works. BIOS can be updated independant of windows. All the components are user upgardeable.
GS3
Level 7
Level 7

Post by GS3 »

carum carvi wrote:
Just a request to all those Dell Latitude and HP Probook owners out there, are those machines completely compatible with Linux? No wifi, video or fan noise problems?
I know your main point is about compatibility with Linux but I will mention my experience anyway.

For something like 20 years now I have been buying refurbished Dell (mainly laptops) and HP (mainly desktops) on ebay and have always got great value for my money.

The laptops have all lasted forever and given me no problems. Wait, scratch that. I bought two identical (I always buy them in pairs) Dell Latitude D620. Except they were not so identical. One had Intel video and one had NVidia video. The NVidia video failed and it turned out it was a manufacturing defect and there was a class action suit and I was more than compensated for the repair. nvidia-settles-faulty-processor-suit-dell-hp-compaq-mac
Other than that they have all worked fine.

Then I have bought several HP desktops (as per my sig) and they have all worked fine with Linux so far. No problems.

I heartily recommend buying refurbished (business, government, military, etc) Dell and HP computers.

Regarding "fingerprint readers" I have never had any luck with them. It is as if my fingerprints change daily.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
allanherrera
Level 2
Level 2

Post by allanherrera »

carum carvi wrote:
HP Probook owners out there, are those machines completely compatible with Linux? No wifi, video or fan noise problems?
I have an refurbished HP Probook 6475b, I had several problems (graphics card, Wifi, CPU Speed, etc) but where easy to resolve, In debian (I don't remember so much how I did in Mint) I just installed broadcom-sta-dkms linux-headers cpufrequtils and firmware-amd graphics with a wired(Phome USB tether) connection.

PS: in LMDE and MX Linux works out-of-the-box.

PPS: Neither in any Linux or even Windows I can't figure how to make work my Fingerprint reader or the 1600x900 screen resolution (working 1366x768) maybe is broken.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

carum carvi wrote:
Just a request to all those Dell Latitude and HP Probook owners out there, are those machines completely compatible with Linux? No wifi, video or fan noise problems? Are they just as smooth and easy going with Linux as the Lenovo Thinkpads are?
Using a Dell Latitude E5450 here for 5+ years now. i5, 8Gb, IPS 1080 screen, on-board Intel graphics, and replaced original 128Gb SSD with a 512.
It works great (apart from fingerprint scanner), although I did have to resolve a screen tearing prob after one of the LM releases. Can't remember what was req'd now but it was an easy fix. Not sure if same will happen should I upgrade to LM 20 (currently 19.3).

Never had a wifi or fan problem, and runs along as sprightly as ever. Apart from an initial brief dalliance with Ubuntu it's only ever had LM on it.

If I was replacing it I'd either get another Latitude, or a ThinkPad. I like the business-grade builds for reliability.
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

Wow. I am really impressed by these stories. Dell Latitude and HP Probook are on my list. Definitely! For sure! You bet! :D Thanks for sharing these experiences. By the way, this post is a great selling point / referral for LinuxMint newbies who think about starting to use Linux for the first time. We can now advise them three different brands with excellent secondhand compatibility performance. And for me personally, I am one happy dude. I will spent my weekend on ebay searching for these goodies! :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”