Linux as a Windows Subsystem

Chat about Linux in general
SteveR
Level 2
Level 2

Linux as a Windows Subsystem

Post by SteveR »

Recently there has been a flurry of articles proclaiming the success of Linux as a subsystem to Windows. Coincidentally, Microsoft also claims to be "supporting" opensource software.

From ZDNet: Microsoft helped me install Ubuntu Linux on my Windows 10 PC, and it's actually pretty good

An article from the Verge: Microsoft: we were wrong about open source

On the surface, nothing wrong with that and it appears pretty nifty. But as I thought about it, it seems to be an attempt to "lock" opensource and Linux inside a Microsoft "jail". None of these products (Linux and opensource) would be available to you unless you buy Windows and accept whatever odious requirements that they may impose on you. Moreover, creating a Linux subsystem under Windows adds complexity to the operating systems. Complexity creates opportunities for program failures and unreliability. The new shiny object, may turn-out to be an illusion of a star.

The obvious "simple" solution is to have a dual boot computer.
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux as a Windows Subsystem

Post by JoeFootball »

SteveR wrote: None of these products (Linux and opensource) would be available to you unless you buy Windows and accept whatever odious requirements that they may impose on you.
I agree. That said, I feel these features are for existing Windows users to give them further options. I don't think any Linux user is going to abandon what they've been doing to jump on this new endeavor.

Speaking for myself, I certainly find this direction by Microsoft interesting, and I'll continue to follow it in the news, but I don't see myself pursuing any aspect of it unless a specific need presents itself.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

This all points to the reasons why direct GNU+Linux visibility to the broader general public is important.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
— Voltaire
SteveR
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SteveR »

JoeFootball wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:52 am
That said, I feel these features are for existing Windows users to give them further options.
That is a something that I had overlooked.
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

SteveR wrote: That is a something that I had overlooked.
Eh, that's just what I think, and what do I know. Perhaps Microsoft really does think that existing Linux users are going to see WSL and say, "Oooo, gotta get me some of that!", and go running to Windows 10. :)
TheOmniad-2020
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

My experience with the Linux subsystem was frustrating. At first it was neat (after the trial of accessing it) but the setup is overly complicated and confusing. As I transitioned over to Linux, it started to feel like a waste of time, since I was now using real Linux. Finally, I had an "update" and MS installed Edge and turned my telemetry back on and I wiped the laptop with a Linux distro. It's clear they're transitioning their admins & users over to the Linux way, sooner or later the other shoe will drop, but this struck me as another half-measure that, while kind of cool, doesn't address the problems that are driving users from Windows to Linux. Win10x will have 4 Linux Distros prepackaged in the system. I suppose it's useful for college students studying programming, but as an average user, it just pushed me to Linux faster.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

As I sit here continuing to follow this thread, I keep wanting to bring up the point — which I will now bring up — that what I'd really prefer to do in going back to work as a professional in the tech industry is to be attached to GNU+Linux, presumably as a net or sys admin, or some other kind of specialty. I'm about to start working on my Net+ cert, and I'm planning on Security+ after that, but ultimately I really don't want to support Windows. I mean, I'll do it to bring in money, but I'd rather support free software. What I don't yet know is quite how to go after that.

— Voltaire
Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

Portreve wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:10 pm
As I sit here continuing to follow this thread, I keep wanting to bring up the point — which I will now bring up — that what I'd really prefer to do in going back to work as a professional in the tech industry is to be attached to GNU+Linux, presumably as a net or sys admin, or some other kind of specialty. I'm about to start working on my Net+ cert, and I'm planning on Security+ after that, but ultimately I really don't want to support Windows. I mean, I'll do it to bring in money, but I'd rather support free software. What I don't yet know is quite how to go after that.
I'm in the same position. I took the A+ and Security+ certifications last year to upgrade my knowledge.
My dream is also being sys admin, working with Linux. But will also stretch myself to work with Windows to land a job in the industry.
I have a degree in computer science, but never succeeded in landing a job in the IT world.
So I took all kinds of jobs, postman, factory worker of all sorts, for the last 12 years I've serviced and repaired coffee vending machines.
I'm good at it, but the pay check ain't great.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Swampthing wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:40 pm
Portreve wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:10 pm
I'm in the same position. I took the A+ and Security+ certifications last year to upgrade my knowledge.
My dream is also being sys admin, working with Linux. But will also stretch myself to work with Windows to land a job in the industry.
I have a degree in computer science, but never succeeded in landing a job in the IT world.
So I took all kinds of jobs, postman, factory worker of all sorts, for the last 12 years I've serviced and repaired coffee vending machines.
I'm good at it, but the pay check ain't great.
Y'know, I got my A+ certification back in 2001, back when none of their certifications expired. However, I was recently on Total Seminars' web site looking at their Network+ offerings when I decided just for laughs and grins to check out their A+ course. Holy firetruck, Batman! While I'm sure the "absolute basics" part is similar, the bulk of what the testing covers simply did not exist back then. And, to tell the truth, I've half-considered taking a new A+ course just to get grounded in all the new stuff that's come along. I mean, it's not like I know nothing about the material, but so much of it gets into areas where I have no exposure.

— Voltaire
Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

Yeah, it took me 8 weeks to read up on it and watch the online course, before I felt ready to take the tests.
Things have definitely changed since 2001, although a lot still is basically the same.
bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Linux as a Micro$oft Windoze Subservient...NEVER!!! Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Chat about Linux”