How is Mint 20 Compared to Mint 19?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SpongebobFan1994

How is Mint 20 Compared to Mint 19?

Post by SpongebobFan1994 »

I've been seeing some posts on here regarding Mint 20 being released recently, so I'd like to know what you think of it so far, and if you consider it better or worse than 19
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How is Mint 20 Compared to Mint 19?

Post by Pjotr »

Mint 20 is better. More modern. Latest and greatest.

Currently, 19.3 is still a bit more stable, but that'll even itself out pretty soon, as usual. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
SpongebobFan1994

Pjotr wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:11 pm Mint 20 is better. More modern. Latest and greatest.

Currently, 19.3 is still a bit more stable, but that'll even itself out pretty soon, as usual. :mrgreen:
I haven't tried out 20 yet, but I'll do so when it becomes available for upgrade. 19-19.2 were fine, while 19.3 has been "just okay" for me (it works, but it has stability issues at times).
Last edited by SpongebobFan1994 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
program1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by program1 »

I would be interested in knowing if LM 20 is more efficient then LM 19 ?

IE : uses less memory than LM 19 ?
runs faster on computers of the same model ?
less bloatware and/or background processes ?

20+ years ago, new OS's bragged about being faster and more efficiency,
but no so much anymore unfortunately, because usually they're not.

Don't get me wrong, LM is far better than Windows and Apple on all those fronts,
but it does seem to be creeping up in size and bloat overtime, no ?
SpongebobFan1994

program1 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:05 pm I would be interested in knowing if LM 20 is more efficient then LM 19 ?

IE : uses less memory than LM 19 ?
runs faster on computers of the same model ?
less bloatware and/or background processes ?

20+ years ago, new OS's bragged about being faster and more efficiency,
but no so much anymore unfortunately, because usually they're not.

Don't get me wrong, LM is far better than Windows and Apple on all those fronts,
but it does seem to be creeping up in size and bloat overtime, no ?
Because computing has become more complex, and will naturally continue to do so, that would explain a lot. True, technology doesn't need to have an unnecessary amount of bells and whistles just to get the job done (I'm looking at you, PlayStation and Xbox!), but some things will need be updated from time to time, which unfortunately requires more power and data to use.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

program1 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:05 pm but it does seem to be creeping up in size and bloat overtime, no ?
No. Besides, 'bloat' is undefined so it's meaningless to anyone but yourself. A simple check on the LM blog at regular intervals tells you exactly what is changing and why. It's quite apparent that the team have put a lot of effort into making Cinnamon far slicker and smoother than it used to be, for example.

At the end of the day, if your definition of 'bloat' causes you concern with LM, you're free to move to something more suitable to lowering your sense of outrage. Puppy Linux comes to mind.
Firnefex
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Firnefex »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:04 pm At the end of the day, if your definition of 'bloat' causes you concern with LM, you're free to move to something more suitable to lowering your sense of outrage. Puppy Linux comes to mind.
Or merely uninstall those apps you don't need.
For Linux beginners, former Windows 7 users in particular, Linux Mint Cinnamon is just the most simplified stable modern Linux OS you can get.
Lighter desktops also usually look like they are from 2000.
If you want to see a really bloated DE look at Gnome (Standard on Ubuntu)!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I spent the most time trying out Mint Cinnamon 20 beta. I like it much better than Mint 19. Was faster, and booted quicker for me than 19. It will be a nice upgrade from Mint 19.
SpongebobFan1994

KBD47 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:00 am I spent the most time trying out Mint Cinnamon 20 beta. I like it much better than Mint 19. Was faster, and booted quicker for me than 19. It will be a nice upgrade from Mint 19.
Nice. I'm glad you like it so far.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I think this review of Linux Mint 20 would actually make for the basis of a good marketing piece. Mind you, I have felt about LM for a while as he evidently now feels about LM 20.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
SpongebobFan1994

Portreve wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:57 pm I think this review of Linux Mint 20 would actually make for the basis of a good marketing piece. Mind you, I have felt about LM for a while as he evidently now feels about LM 20.
While I'll agree with what he said about how 20 has a handful of significant improvements (instead of minor tweaks), one nitpick is 20 is still an ugly desktop. I understand that the Mint team has to use something standard (which isn't always going to please everyone), and its why customization exists, but it doesn't have to look ugly though. Another nitpick I have is 20 still has Themes showing thumbnails of what each theme looks like, when they can just get rid of that stupid boarder and enlarge the screenshots.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The stable release will render this thread irrelevant.
Let's talk about it then
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Jerry N
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jerry N »

I have been playing with Mint Mate 20 (Beta) for a few days and have had minimal problems. The most current version of XnviewMP does not work (older versions work) and an old version of Sketchup (Windows version 8) does not work in Wine. Other than those, every thing else I tried works fine. On the other hand, I have seen no practical reason to choose Mint 20 over Mint 19.x. I will continue to experiment with Mint 20 on my secondary computer but I won't change from 19.3 on my main computer until at least release 20.1.

Jerry
program1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by program1 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:04 pm
program1 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:05 pm but it does seem to be creeping up in size and bloat overtime, no ?
No. Besides, 'bloat' is undefined so it's meaningless to anyone but yourself. A simple check on the LM blog at regular intervals tells you exactly what is changing and why. It's quite apparent that the team have put a lot of effort into making Cinnamon far slicker and smoother than it used to be, for example.

At the end of the day, if your definition of 'bloat' causes you concern with LM, you're free to move to something more suitable to lowering your sense of outrage. Puppy Linux comes to mind.
Sorry to offend you, there was no "outrage" in what I stated. I'll find some articles for you in the next couple days, I know even Linus himself stated on at least one occasion years ago his concern for Linux on this matter : https://www.cnet.com/news/linus-torvald ... s-bloated/
SpongebobFan1994

program1 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:24 pm
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:04 pm

Sorry to offend you, there was no "outrage" in what I stated. I'll find some articles for you in the next couple days, I know even Linus himself stated on at least one occasion years ago his concern for Linux on this matter : https://www.cnet.com/news/linus-torvald ... s-bloated/
Due to Kadaitcha Man having a tendency to misinterpret what people say, and then giving them an attitude, I'd recommend ignoring the peanut gallery
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

program1 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:24 pmSorry to offend you, there was no "outrage" in what I stated. I'll find some articles for you in the next couple days, I know even Linus himself stated on at least one occasion years ago his concern for Linux on this matter : https://www.cnet.com/news/linus-torvald ... s-bloated/

Here, like everywhere, there are some few people who are just angry at the world and take it out on whoever is at hand. I have been at the receiving end on ocassion but I try to let it slide and not bother me.

I, for one, find your post was very reasonable and I welcome you to this community where you will find most people are helpful.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

program1 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:24 pm I know even Linus himself stated on at least one occasion years ago his concern for Linux on this matter : https://www.cnet.com/news/linus-torvald ... s-bloated/
Note that he is/was talking about Linux-the-kernel though, not Linux-the-operating-system. The kernel has 25M+ lines of code at the moment, so yeah, if you shuffle that in and out of GIT repos a few times a day you're unlikely to not notice :)

Specifically as to Mint I can't say things are bloating it seems. Haven't seen 20 yet but certainly for example 19's Cinnamon was significantly leaner than 18's. Xfce/MATE are more minimal by design, and lately (and although no longer a supported edition of Mint) the historically massively bloated KDE has been dueling with Xfce for least intensive at least in terms of OOTB memory usage.

I.e., it seems that as a whole things are in fact likely de-bloating rather than vice versa.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

SpongebobFan1994 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:09 pm I've been seeing some posts on here regarding Mint 20 being released recently, so I'd like to know what you think of it so far, and if you consider it better or worse than 19
I installed it today and after installing all the programs I normally have, plus all the fonts I normally add, programs open up near instantaneously. Libre Office, for example, takes about a second and change to open any of the modules (word processor, spreadsheet, etc.)

SpongebobFan1994

Portreve wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:21 pm
SpongebobFan1994 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:09 pm I've been seeing some posts on here regarding Mint 20 being released recently, so I'd like to know what you think of it so far, and if you consider it better or worse than 19
I installed it today and after installing all the programs I normally have, plus all the fonts I normally add, programs open up near instantaneously. Libre Office, for example, takes about a second and change to open any of the modules (word processor, spreadsheet, etc.)
Good to know. I'd like to see LibreOffice become more like Microsoft Office in which the templates and extensions are added into each program by default.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Lately I've been running Windows 10 a lot, and Office 365. It feels like I'm running some kind of web-based program instead of a local one. It's like it's on drugs.

Return to “Chat about Linux”