Opinions on Linux Distros i've tested.

Chat about Linux in general
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Opinions on Linux Distros i've tested.

Post by DoodMann »

So, I am back to my method of distro-hopping :lol: And these are the tested distros on my system.

Zorin - Looks good, might be the best looking distro. But some compatibility issues.

Mint - BEST. Compatibility? Flexibility? User Friendliness? YES. Great works out of the box.

Ubuntu - Bad. Full of bloatware I don't need, it's like becoming one with Windows now.

Peppermint - Also Bad. No built in icons in front, and many other stuff I can't remember. Lightweight though.

Manjaro - Now don't get me wrong, it's good. But installing software is twice as hard than using GDebi or APT.

MX Linux - One of the good juicy distros I found, it's coming at top 2 below Mint.

Linux Lite - Pretty cool I guess, I only use it as a backup system like Lubuntu.

Lubuntu - Same as Ubuntu, but instead of GNOME, it uses LXQT which is bad for me at least.

DSL - Also known as Damn Small Linux, I only ran it at my Phone but for a linux distro that uses a ver. 2 kernel? It's pretty good for a recovery system. However, it's discontinued.

Kali - Full of bloatware, at least for a casual user. But it's still good because you can select on what apps you want to install. Also have different kinds of Desktop Environments. Which are, XFCE, GNOME, KDE Plasma, LXDE, and MATE. But takes way too much time to install.

Any other distros that I didn't mention that you've tried? Tell the others your opinion!

DoodMann
Last edited by DoodMann on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
My System: ASUS K52F
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate SSD
Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Opinions on Linux Distros i've tested.

Post by Vladimir00 »

Before I switched to Linux Mint I used Zorin for more than two years.Often there were different problems.After several serious problems that I managed to solve only with the help of reinstallation, I developed severe OCD (I am not kidding).Perhaps the main problem in my computer.But Linux Mint works perfectly on my computer.
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

manjaro software management is easy, there's a rosetta conversion chart for people used to apt. Maybe you never got pointed towards it? Usually one of the first things people will give you if you ask on the forums over there:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman/Rosetta
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

The very first distro I ever used was RedHat 4.2. Honestly, I wouldn't have recommend any GNU+Linux distro prior to the age of automatic package management / software installation.

Fedora Linux:
Fedora was a favorite squeeze of mine for quite a while, though this was long before I ever seriously considered making any distro my primary OS. Today, Fedora is primarily aimed at developers and certain others, but I find it far too bleeding-edge to ever become a part of my production environment.

openSUSE:
The first distro I ever bought was SuSE, and to this day I will unequivocally state they produced the finest-written manual I have ever read. However, in my experience, they're still a little too unstable for my tastes.

Debian Linux:
This is without a doubt the single most stable distro you will ever use. Over the years it's definitely become more user-friendly. However, it may not be practical for many folks because they do not and will not include any non-free code, which means oftentimes it's more awkward to support various types of hardware. Also, they bundle older (though not "ancient") versions of software, along with what they make available in their repos, because of course they value stability above everything else but security. But if you ever want a distro to make into a server, Debian's your friend. It will outlast any hardware you put it on.

Ubuntu:
I parted ways with them when they went the Gnome 3-ish Unity path. And while I'd argue Gnome 3 has come a long way since the 3.0 release, it's still for most desktop use cases a solution in search of a problem.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

LMDE4=Debian+the non free stuff :D
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
khaki45
Level 1
Level 1

Post by khaki45 »

Here is my opinion on Distros I have tried:

Mint - My go to distro. I will say my only issues with it is Cinnamon and the icon pack. Cinnamon became laggy for me, so I switched to Xfce, and original icon pack was boring to me so I created my own. But otherwise I rely on Linux Mint alot.

Ubuntu - My first distro ever like most, started with 16.04 on an old laptop. But had lots of DVD playing issues so I switched to Mint, which worked far better on my old laptop.

Fedora - I tried Fedora as a virtual machine so I could experiment with the Mate desktop using it. Fedora was ok, but I dislike the Dnf package manager. Really I wanted to use it because I wanted to get as close of an experience to what commercial Red Hat Linux was like.

Manjaro - I used to think Manjaro was really solid distro, I still have it on my rasberry pi, and I used to have it as a virtual machine...but its newest updates have made it freeze on my virtual machine and I attempted to install it on my old laptop, and it had the same issues.....I am saddened by this.

MX Linux - This is what my old laptop is currently using and probably the only other distro I'd consider as a main distro other then Linux Mint. But has the same DVD issues Ubuntu has, only Mint works flawlessly with DVDs.

Linux Lite - I have Linux Lite on virtual machine. Its decent, fairly solid. I've only one issue, that they seem to brag about the fact it has no upgrade path, which irritated me and made me decide I'd never use it as a main distro if they are going to force me to do a fresh install to upgrade.

Debian - Solid distro, I feel Debian has become the base for so many other distros I installed two virtual machines of it so I can completely tinker around with how Linux could possibly be customized.

Arch - I think I already shared my opinion on Arch with the OP in another thread, but to put it shortly, it is overrated.
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

All Linux distributions are over-rated in the eyes of different folks. That's the beauty of the amount of choice available though. There should be something out there to please everyone and if not they can fork it ;)

If any of you want the closest possible experience to RHEL you should try out CentOS rather than Fedora.

With regards OpenSUSE, Leap is long term support like Ubuntu, Tumbleweed is bleeding edge rolling like Arch. I like their YaST and OBS.

Intel's Clear Linux - Interesting concept and great for hardware burn in and benchmarking (even AMD use it) but everything is containerised which can be a pain in the backside.

Non-linux - DragonFlyBSD with HAMMER is an interesting one to try in VM at least.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

DoodMann wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:02 am
Lubuntu - Same as Ubuntu, but instead of GNOME, it uses XFCE which is bad for me at least.
Lubuntu, as of 20.04, uses the LXQT desktop which is Qt based. It never used XFCE IIRC.It has virtually no bloat last time i used it. It uses teh Calamares installer instead of ubiquity so it's not plagued by the same bugs as the Ubuntu family. It is a very barebones distro with no eye candy. SInce it is Qt based, it has a lot of interoperability with KDE apps.

I've enjoyed playing with Pop OS as of late. It's very clean interpretation of Gnome 3. As a lot of nifty enhancements to manage workflow. Give it a try in a VM if you like.

KDE neon is now my go to distro, although still based on Ubuntu 18.04. A minimal install of neon is about as light as Mint XFCE. I use neon for my main desktop, but Mint for the family's computing.
weny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weny »

DoodMann wrote:
Manjaro - Now don't get me wrong, it's good. But installing software is twice as hard than using GDebi or APT.
Sorry dude, but I can't agree with you. I use both Mint and Manjaro, on different machines, for different purposes so I know what I am talking when the subject is Manjaro.

Installing software on Manjaro is one of the easiest things you would see on Linux, keep that in mind. You don't need to use the terminal for that, which distinguishes it from Ubuntu and even Linux Mint that you still need to use the terminal, add ppas, go to through the internet searching for deb packages e.g. Chrome, like you're searching for a exe file on Windows. Pretty similar, uh?
Some of the best creations of Manjaro are Pamac and also Manjaro Settings Manager which I won't talk about in the moment, both are being improved. This package manager-like Store is so useful for installation of almost every piece of software and believe or not, all graphically. On Pamac, by default you have access to the repositories that are huge and full of useful applications, some I've never found on Ubuntu or Mint and I needed to download from third-party websites, adding ppas or being forced to use snap or flatpak as the only way to get what I wanted. This doesn't apply on Manjaro, nor Arch Linux.
Btw, the Chromium issue with snap doesn't affect Manjaro. You can get Chromium from the official repositories without any problem, and always up-to-date.
Through Pamac, you can also enable AUR, Snap and Flatpak support and they're planning to add support for AppImage via AppImageHub... You have all of this, just in one application, centralized which indirectly helps dealing with fragmentation. If you don't want snap, you can disable it, if you also don't want flatpak, you can also disable it (bet you can't do it on Mint though :( ), so, it's all about choice, no drama. Toggle a button on/off and you're fine.
If you need to use the terminal and consider pacman commands to be so hard to understand, there is Pamac as CLI, just type pamac -h or pamac --help and there you go, example:
pamac install chromium
And you got chromium from the repos.
pamac remove chromium
And you get rid of chromium...
  • More info about Pacman commands here.
A Pamac-like software would be very useful for Debian or Ubuntu-based distros like Linux Mint. It's so complete and easy to manage, as you can see here in these screenshots that I've taken directly from Manjaro Cinnamon. :P
Hugh Neutron
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hugh Neutron »

weny wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:56 pm
int that you still need to use the terminal, add ppas, go to through the internet searching for deb packages e.g. Chrome, like you're searching for a exe file on Windows. Pretty similar, uh?
All searches for PPA's and .debs are found on the same sites

https://launchpad.net/
pkgs.org/
always wanting to learn more about Linux. It saved me from the Windows 10 telemetry and SAAS nightmare.
weny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weny »

Hugh Neutron wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:05 pm
weny wrote:
int that you still need to use the terminal, add ppas, go to through the internet searching for deb packages e.g. Chrome, like you're searching for a exe file on Windows. Pretty similar, uh?

pkgs.org/
True, but you still need to use the browser.
weny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weny »

DoodMann wrote:
Zorin - Looks good, might be the best looking distro. But some compatibility issues.
Zorin has a flavor based on Xfce (Zorin Lite) and the main one (Zorin Core) based on GNOME, very modified.
DoodMann wrote:
Ubuntu - Bad. Full of bloatware I don't need, it's like becoming one with Windows now.
Can't disagree about that... The last time I've seen, there are a lot of useless services, something close to 100. That's huge and bloat the system.
DoodMann wrote:
MX Linux - One of the good juicy distros I found, it's coming at top 2 below Mint.
Distrowatch rank is just clicks and not download or real usage, so it doesn't matter that much.
DoodMann wrote:
Linux Lite - Pretty much the same as Lubuntu, just a different name.
Er... Lite is based on Xfce and Lubuntu isn't, so it's not the same ting with different name. It's a totally different beast.
DoodMann wrote:
Lubuntu - Same as Ubuntu, but instead of GNOME, it uses XFCE which is bad for me at least.
Lubuntu is based on Ubuntu and uses its base, however, it uses LXQt... Not Xfce. Xfce is Xubuntu. The X on Xubuntu stands for Xfce.
DoodMann wrote:
Any other distros that I didn't mention that you've tried? Tell the others your opinion!
I've tried more than 100 distros during my life, I bet... There no way to talking about each one, lol. But I can mention some of them if you want.
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Well, Manjaro was a beast hiding behind the CLI. I didin't know he's better at GUI app installation. Also, sorry about Lubuntu. I have no knowledge when it comes to Desktop Environments.
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate SSD
Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"
Hugh Neutron
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hugh Neutron »

weny wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:07 pm
Hugh Neutron wrote:
weny wrote:

pkgs.org/
How is that a problem? For me it is not. I have my browser open all the time. The only time I use synaptic is when I need to install libraries to build stuff from source. I don't really use software store, though I usually stick to Bionic's repo.
always wanting to learn more about Linux. It saved me from the Windows 10 telemetry and SAAS nightmare.
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Hugh Neutron wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:19 pm
weny wrote:
Hugh Neutron wrote:

pkgs.org/
How is that a problem? For me it is not. I have my browser open all the time. The only time I use synaptic is when I need to install libraries to build stuff from source. I don't really use software store, though I usually stick to Bionic's repo.
Agree, I always have my browser open at ALL times. Also, it's not that hard to find .deb packages in the internet.
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate SSD
Linux Mint 20 "Ulyana"
weny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weny »

Hugh Neutron wrote:
weny wrote:
Hugh Neutron wrote:

pkgs.org/
Hugh, you misunderstood what I mean or maybe I haven't make it clear. It's not like "its a problem", but it's more like "more steps to achieve/get something", get it? If it were already in the repos (officially or not), or in place like a Store, there would be no need to search around the internet for the following package. I just want the better for Linux.
Not a problem if you don't care about opening the browser and searching for X or Y application. You're free to do whatever you to do. That's not my point. I'm saying its more steps to get the applications.
weny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by weny »

DoodMann wrote:
Well, Manjaro was a beast hiding behind the CLI. I didin't know he's better at GUI app installation. Also, sorry about Lubuntu. I have no knowledge when it comes to Desktop Environments.
No problem, everybody makes mistakes.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

since I've tried out most of those mentioned Linux Systems,
& liked some, didn't like some others.

managed to multi_boot most of them on my older PCs,
but not so much, these days.

another interesting Linux System, is Puppy Linux
http://puppylinux.com/
which was created by an Guy, that lives on the other side of this City of Perth, AU.

plus, I've got copies of all of the older versions, that he wrote,
but not so much, the latest versions, that are now based on the Ubuntu System.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

weny wrote:
if you also don't want flatpak, you can also disable it (bet you can't do it on Mint though
Sure you can, just uninstall flatpak via Software Manager, Synaptic or CLI.

Agree that Manjaro is a fine way for easy access the Arch eco-system. Not all is rosy though - there are some very buggy install scripts in the AUR, and I've broken Manjaro to the point of fresh install on a few occasions just by applying updates. I know that very occasionally happens on Mint, but it's never happened to me.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
antikythera
Level 8
Level 8

Post by antikythera »

AUR is the Arch equivalent of PPA, nothing is guaranteed to work with Arch (what AUR is actually for) and especially not Manjaro from it. It contains a few binaries but most of the AUR contents are build scripts that can take an age to run on older hardware and if not kept up to date will fail due to mismatched dependencies.

Having been burned by this a couple of times I therefore avoided AUR as much as possible while running Manjaro KDE. Fortunately I had learned about Timeshift by then and did not need to clean install.

There was a 'safer' alternative for the packages I wanted, a custom repository (herecura) containing pre-compiled packages maintained by a major Arch contributor, Ike Devolder. That too carried no guarantee of working with anything other than native Arch but it was fine.

Manjaro is by no means native Arch because philm compiles kernels and other core packages (plus matching nvidia drivers) for Manjaro using different parameters designed to optimise performance and add support for a wider set of hardware.

By the way, I'd try SmurphOS if you ever made one :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux”