Are there are any professional audio recording studios or artists that use Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
vasantmaurya
Level 1
Level 1

Are there are any professional audio recording studios or artists that use Linux?

Post by vasantmaurya »

As the title says, who is using Linux as a professional audio engineer, producer, or artist? I am a former Mac user myself, and I am seeing people from time to time who have become disillusioned with what Apple has been doing for the past few years. However, I'm not sure if Linux really has a place for these people to land if they are serious about what they do.

Fedora Design Suite and Ubuntu Studio are definitely encouraging to see, but what is their real-world usage like? Are we getting better with professional audio in Linux, or have things been stagnant for years?
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Are there are any professional audio recording studios or artists that use Linux?

Post by Portreve »

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Are there are any professional audio recording studios or artists that use Linux?

Post by Pierre »

one of the prime issues, in getting any audio recording studios,
to work correctly in an Linux System .. is the I/O ports.

ie: I've had issues in getting Audacity to work, for example.
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
rene
Level 16
Level 16

Post by rene »

vasantmaurya wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:23 am
Are we getting better with professional audio in Linux, or have things been stagnant for years?
Latter basically. Pulseaudio basically precludes any and all serious use of a standard Linux desktop configuration, and Jack combines being too audio-technical for many computer enthusiasts with being too computer-technical for many audio enthusiasts --- although it's certainly being used by some, better, by anyone who does do anything with professional sound/music production on Linux. Being not a sound/music producer I've personally (also) never much cared for it.

There's a new soundserver in the pipelines (...) that's supposed to unify and improve: https://pipewire.org/. Its Red Hat / Flatpak / Wayland roots/associations has me for now doubt it being actually good/useful or just another pipe dream but if you care to check it out I'm sure that all of its promises will be very, very groovy indeed and at least.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

rene wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:22 am
vasantmaurya wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:23 am
Are we getting better with professional audio in Linux, or have things been stagnant for years?
Latter basically. ....
+1. Been looking at this for some time and, while it's not easy to say 100% since the DAW used isn't in album credits, it's pretty safe to ay it's not used by pros much.

There's so much recording at home and sending things by attachments ... even top studio players mostly work this way now ... everyone just uses the most common software, which doesn't run on Linux. Too many compatability issues.
Swampthing
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Swampthing »

I tried Ubuntu Studio in a virtualbox for some time, before I landed on LM.
I saw a video on Youtube where a professional studio used Ubuntu Studio.
That got me interested.
Anyway, I already have an iMac and two others in the band also uses Apple products. So we went down that road.
So we use Garage band and Logic Pro.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

One band chose Linux to complete every part of their album including the graphics: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... 31921b4439

I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu Studio so much, as it's mostly just a collection of software from what I understand, AVLinux actually has lots of configuration done out-of-the-box to get started including a tweaked RT kernel.
allanherrera
Level 2
Level 2

Post by allanherrera »

In Spain and Mexico several dubbing studios uses Linux, mainly LMDE and Debian (believe it or not!) and use audacity for dubbing record, also Pixar uses Linux for basically everything, also for voice recording.
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

allanherrera wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:32 pm
I...., also Pixar uses Linux for basically everything, also for voice recording.
Wow. Pixar is THE most successful animation movie company in the entire world. Fun fact: Pixar was originally created by George Lucas (Star Wars movies), but shortly after that Pixar became a separate corporation because no one other then Steve Jobs (Apple) invested in Pixar. Then Disney bought Pixar for billions, yes BILLIONS of dollars and now it is the most succesful (sorry for the repetition) animation movie company of the entire world. And they use solely Linux. THAT's a good selling point for using Linux... :D
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

I worked on an audio project where the studio used mostly Linux computers mixed with a lot of dedicated hardware machines. The hardware did most of the work.

One movie project had a PR article published where they bragged about using a Mac to create an image. In a separate discussion, the project manager said the workers used over a 1000 Linux computers and the Mac user was just someone who blew in to draw a background.

Return to “Chat about Linux”