Sabayon - Quick Review

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Sabayon - Quick Review

Post by clem »

I've only looked at the liveCD (mini) and the installer so far:

1. Graphical and text installers available directly from isolinux. This is a killer, definitely something we need to work on. Users with 256MB have enough RAM to run Mint but not always enough to install it.

2. The installer can install but also update a previous sabayon installation. We don't need this but it's quite a nice feature. Something to consider.

3. The user is asked whether he wants no effects, AIGLX or Xgl at boot time. This should be done in our upcoming first-run configuration wizard (see thread on Fedora review).

I'm still testing... so there's probably more to come.

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Sabayon - Quick Review

Post by belovedmonster »

clem wrote:3. The user is asked whether he wants no effects, AIGLX or Xgl at boot time. This should be done in our upcoming first-run configuration wizard (see thread on Fedora review).
Though obviously doing such a feature needs to be noob proof with some sort of explanation of what this means.

I'm sure you are well aware of this, but I cant stress it enough. I'm sick of Linux distros that still assume some prior knowledge of linux or computing at a (relatively speaking) high level.

When I tried pclinuxos I was disappointed by the number of questions it asked me about the type of network I had before it would let me run the live disk, I dont think a none tech user would have a clue what to select. Stuff like that doesnt help anyone.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

tinny wrote:Running the Sabayon live CD or DVD is fun and instructive, but I would never take the trouble to install Sabayon because I know what's underneath. (Gentoo)
I have the latest Sabayon in a testing partition, and I'm writing from it. I too was a little afraid to install it, but it was really worth. Plain and easy. Everything works, and fast. It's really impressive. If you have some Gb to spare (I'd say 15 Gbs at least), by all means try it.

That said, Mint is still the best distro ATM :wink:
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

tinny wrote:Thanks for the tip, Kanishka. If installing Slackware 12.0 proves too daunting, I will give Sabayon a try, on your recommendation. :)
Nice! :D
marku

sabayon yays and a yuck

Post by marku »

i have been using linux for about 8 years, starting with red hat 9. never dug to deep, and decided sabayon 325 would be a good way to try gentoo from a distance. i really enjoyed the time and learned to use emerge fairly well and i must say sabayon is a class act. ...... then i tried to use my epson cx3800 printer, and the wheels fell off the wagon. i emerged foo-this and foo-that and reinstalled foos and ppds for two days. no luck. it was like fedora 2 all over again, except that f2 would work with the printers you had. strange thing is that it recognized my printer and i configed for the scanner which worked. would not print. reboot with mint disk and big smile is back. if anyone figures out how to add printers to sabayon please let me know. marku
carltonh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by carltonh »

I was very impressed with much of Sabayon when I installed it on my desktop. Since I've never been able to figure out/configure Compiz Fusion myself, this was great to see it work. However, I got aggressive on Portato (portage/emerge) in trying to manually update stuff. I caused the system to crash and I ended up installing Sidux over that partition. Sidux I can actually manage to do a dist-upgrade safely, but only because of the smxi script.

For average users, Sabayon is workable ONLY if they update ONLY packages they recognize (say a Firefox update) but then use each new release's Update function on the installer.

Also, Sabayon 3.4e was the only distro that automatically worked with my BCM4318 wireless card, but I keep Mint on my laptop.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Gutsy will come with better support for Broadcom chipsets, and this will come into Mint 4.0 (Daryna).

Clem

Return to “Chat about Linux”