Windowsfx

Chat about Linux in general
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Windowsfx

Post by Pierre »

The Linuxfx distribution, which is sometimes referred to as "Windowsfx" on the project's website and in various applications, is based on Linux Mint and appears to one have overarching goal: to look and act as much like Microsoft Windows 10 as possible. The distribution does this by adjusting the desktop, theme, icons, and settings panel to look as much like Microsoft's operating system as possible. The project then adds in WINE, a virtual assistant application, and adjusts application launchers to resemble those used by Windows. Under the hood though Linuxfx is still very much running Linux Mint packages as its base with the Cinnamon desktop environment.

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20200928
is an Review of Linuxfx 10.6 ( Windowsfx )

and another Review here:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevang ... indows-10/
Meet The Unique Linux OS That Looks Shockingly Similar To Windows 10
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Windowsfx

Post by karlchen »

Let me quote some lines from the DistroWatch article on Linuxfx:
Linuxfx 10.6 by Jesse Smyth wrote:Note: [...] The distribution is now a commercial offering.
Trademarks and other concerns wrote:However, there is a distinction to be made between offering a very similar, yet distinct, tool versus tricking people into believing they are using the genuine product. [...] Linuxfx has branding, uses terminology, and borrows logos which make it seem like the user is actually running Windows 10.
Time will tell whether Microsoft will tolerate a (commercial) Linux distribution, which mimicks their own Windows 10 to such a degree.
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

I made a similar thread here:

Linux that looks and feels like Windows 10?
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=328657
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

<mod> it's merging time again. merging 2 threads about the same topic ... </mod>
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Windowsfx

Post by Vladimir00 »

A few days ago I tried this OS on my new computer ( though this lasted less than an hour ).Seems generally ok. But I still decided to return to Linux Mint. (It is rather a clone of Mint and not a standalone operating system. I prefer the original )
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Windowsfx

Post by exploder »

I find most new user's I install Linux for prefer something that in no way resembles Windows. I thought the opposite would be the case. Many think that if it looks like Windows then it should act like Windows and are disappointed when it doesn't. Seems they adapt quicker knowing their new OS is completely different out of the box.

This is just my experience.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Pierre wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:39 am
https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20200928
is an Review of Linuxfx 10.6 ( Windowsfx )
The Helloa assistant then offers to launch the monitor settings module (again). I'd like to point out at this point that Helloa refuses to skip steps in the initial configuration. We need to click the launch button for a given tool before we can proceed to the next option, even if we have run Helloa before. Helloa next provides a button to open network settings. Launching the networking tool causes the system to report it had to reboot for its changes to take effect and immediately shutdown in the middle of downloading new updates. Later I found that clicking almost anywhere in the Helloa window besides directly on a link would trigger a reboot with no option to cancel the action.

In short, so far I had experienced a lot of pop-ups, an unusually restrictive customization wizard, and accidentally triggered three reboots in the first ten minutes. I certainly felt like the Windows experience was being faithfully recreated.
The best part of the review :lol:
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

exploder wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:37 am
I find most new user's I install Linux for prefer something that in no way resembles Windows. I thought the opposite would be the case. Many think that if it looks like Windows then it should act like Windows and are disappointed when it doesn't. Seems they adapt quicker knowing their new OS is completely different out of the box....
+1. You'd think that having something that's mostly similar would make things less confusing. It doesn't.

Return to “Chat about Linux”