Manjaro - what's the big deal

Chat about Linux in general
urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Manjaro - what's the big deal

Post by urdrwho »

I do tend to distro hop but for a long time Mint has been my main distro.

Several years ago I had Manjaro installed on a laptop. I must have gotten someplace with it but not very far. Also I found the Manjaro forum was full of a lot of Manjaro fan boys that were snotty, rude and not very helpful.

I just took another look at Manjaro XFCE 20 on a live USB. I couldn't even figure out how or where to get to the AUR. I wanted to install Slmijet browser, an easy thing to do with DEB. But I did get to Github but that was it, no way did I remember how to use Yay or Pacman or tarballs or --- well ya get my drift.

To me sure if you want, take the time to learn all about Arch but I'm almost 70 and I don't care to learn again. I've become accustomed to ubuntu commands and the ease of installing programs.

So unless I am missing something - what's the big deal about Manjaro?
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Manjaro - what's the big deal

Post by antikythera »

You are missing a little but not a lot in that pamac the default package manager has AUR support built into it. Anyhow if you are past the point of caring to learn or want something lower maintenance than a rolling distribution best stick with Mint ;)

All distributions have the same kind of fan boys unfortunately. The difference is how they are dealt with by the forum teams.

I was using Manjaro but wanted less package management in my life, so am using LMDE4 now :)
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

urdrwho wrote: I do tend to distro hop but for a long time Mint has been my main distro.
I'm the same way. Mint is my go-to, but I do like Manjaro as a non-Debian/Ubuntu/Mint option. And that Arch Wiki is top notch in my opinion. I wish my documentation ethic was as good.
urdrwho wrote: ... I found the Manjaro forum was full of a lot of Manjaro fan boys that were snotty, rude and not very helpful.
I've found some of the same. Compounding some poor attitudes, their old forum sadly had a recent incident.
urdrwho wrote: ... I don't care to learn again. I've become accustomed to ubuntu commands and the ease of installing programs.
I think you've come to a conclusion then. :)
urdrwho wrote: So unless I am missing something - what's the big deal about Manjaro?
I found this article to be informative: https://www.howtogeek.com/430556/why-i- ... aro-linux/
urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

antikythera wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:43 pm
You are missing a little but not a lot in that pamac the default package manager has AUR support built into it. Anyhow if you are past the point of caring to learn or want something lower maintenance than a rolling distribution best stick with Mint ;)

All distributions have the same kind of fan boys unfortunately. The difference is how they are dealt with by the forum teams.

I was using Manjaro but wanted less package management in my life, so am using LMDE4 now :)
I was checking it out from the live USB and couldn't find the package manager. Is Pamac the package manager and is included on the live USB? I'll boot it again to see.

I'm in Manjaro now and found how to get AUR working and how to search the AUR to find Slimjet and install it. I'll give it a try. I'm always searching for my Shangri-La distro.

Ok, I found how to get the AUR working and installed slimjet.

I also have LMDE4.
Last edited by urdrwho on Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Yes, Pamac should be on the live ISO too.

Their previous forum server setup running a version of discourse legitimately did suffer a major technical malfunction, it was nothing to do with the behaviour of their community members.

I concur about the Arch Wiki and still refer to it for some cross distribution functions.
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

antikythera wrote: Their previous forum server setup running a version of discourse legitimately did suffer a major technical malfunction, it was nothing to do with the behaviour of their community members.
Agreed. I did not mean to imply that poor behavior caused the shutdown of the old forum, but rather the incident only further complicated their forum members' attitudes. :)
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Manjaro has been around a long time and isn't reaslly newbie oriented loike Mint or Ubuntu. The users on their support site don't hold newbie hands all that much. Debian is the same way.
urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:48 am
Manjaro has been around a long time and isn't reaslly newbie oriented loike Mint or Ubuntu. The users on their support site don't hold newbie hands all that much. Debian is the same way.
Well I can't disagree on the hand holding. Asking a simple question gets a retort of "do your own learning."

Over the years I've belonged on a lot of car forums and the main one was Jaguar. The entire idea was to help work on older and newer Jaguars without needing to become a mechanic. Hey the center vent flap on my XJ6 is stuck. You get answers in 10 minutes and not remarks like "do your own learning."

SO yep - Manjaro forum is kind of cult in the manner that they have the information but don't want to give it up. Of course that was IMHO.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

urdrwho wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:15 pm
... Manjaro forum is kind of cult in the manner that they have the information but don't want to give it up. Of course that was IMHO.
It's jusyt that SERIOUS Linux geeks, which I don't claim to be, lost whatever patience they ever had long ago with users who can't explain themselves clearly. These people tend to have real IT jobs and aren't going to spend much time hand holding. WHereas the users most eager to help are not necessarily very knowledgeable.

That's true even with begnner oriented distros. It's why newbies are so often suggested to look at the "how to get help" section on this forum. ANd in ubuntuforums, which has the highest level of expertise of any beginner oriented distro, you have to express yourself clearly and specifically if you want to get their attention.
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

urdrwho wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:36 pm
I think that it is popular with people looking for an Arch based distro that is more user friendly than Arch. They find it a solid rolling release distro with fairly new versions of software. If you're interested in checking out another user friendly Arch based XFCE distro you may enjoy checking out EndeavourOS. Their forum has a good friendly vibe too. With all of these various distros available it really just comes down to finding what you personally like the best.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:23 am
urdrwho wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:15 pm
... Manjaro forum is kind of cult in the manner that they have the information but don't want to give it up. Of course that was IMHO.
It's jusyt that SERIOUS Linux geeks, which I don't claim to be, lost whatever patience they ever had long ago with users who can't explain themselves clearly. These people tend to have real IT jobs and aren't going to spend much time hand holding. WHereas the users most eager to help are not necessarily very knowledgeable.

That's true even with begnner oriented distros. It's why newbies are so often suggested to look at the "how to get help" section on this forum. ANd in ubuntuforums, which has the highest level of expertise of any beginner oriented distro, you have to express yourself clearly and specifically if you want to get their attention.
Hm? Just because one considers them self a "geek" doesn't mean they have to be rude. If someone finds angst in a question, just don't answer the question.

I disagree with the idea that "I am a geek therefore I don't have time for you."

I've been around and messed around enough to know somewhat about Linux. But to consider that you have to be Linux Certified to ask questions seems odd. Things happen and I'm about to create a post about one of those things.
urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

Barbados99 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:34 pm
urdrwho wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:36 pm
I think that it is popular with people looking for an Arch based distro that is more user friendly than Arch. They find it a solid rolling release distro with fairly new versions of software. If you're interested in checking out another user friendly Arch based XFCE distro you may enjoy checking out EndeavourOS. Their forum has a good friendly vibe too. With all of these various distros available it really just comes down to finding what you personally like the best.
Well I am glad I was playing around on a boat anchor.

I have an old Acer that I brought Win7 back to life (grub failure) it was a dual boot, Rosa being the other boot.

So I thought, lets just play with Manjaro and do an install.

When installing I always do a manual install, one partition for home and one for the OS. I double check partitions and write them down. On the Acer, sda7 was home and sda6 was Rosa. When I installed Manjaro my manual partition was supposed to be Manjaro OS on sda6 and keep home on sda7.

So what did I get? I got the Manjaro OS on sda6 and a Manjaro OS on sda7. Say what?? It was probably 10 years ago that I had such a failure of that magnitude after a Dolphin install.

The old Acer is 32 bit and I had to go with Manjaro 18. The problem I ran into and one that I saw written on a forum about 18 is not being able to update anything.

Not sure if there was anything on that old Acer Rosa that I cared about losing.

I'll check out the EndeavourOS. Thanks.

I can say that Ventoy is really handy when playing with different distro's.
ajgreeny
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ajgreeny »

I've never installed Manjaro though I did try it live from USB and it was OK, but nothing special.
I do, however, have a full install of another Arch derivative, Arcolinux, and so far I do quite like it, except for one major annoyance.

The updates for it can be absolutely huge.
I had not booted it for a couple of weeks and yesterday when I did use it the total updates size was just over 1G; I don't think I have ever had an update of that size or anywhere near it when using Mint, Xubuntu, or any of the many other Debian based OSs that I've used.

Perhaps it's too many years of using .deb based distros, but nothing else comes close as far as I'm concerned, and other than looking occasionally at other distros, I shall stick with what I know best
urdrwho
Level 4
Level 4

Post by urdrwho »

ajgreeny wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:57 pm
I've never installed Manjaro though I did try it live from USB and it was OK, but nothing special.
I do, however, have a full install of another Arch derivative, Arcolinux, and so far I do quite like it, except for one major annoyance.

The updates for it can be absolutely huge.
I had not booted it for a couple of weeks and yesterday when I did use it the total updates size was just over 1G; I don't think I have ever had an update of that size or anywhere near it when using Mint, Xubuntu, or any of the many other Debian based OSs that I've used.

Perhaps it's too many years of using .deb based distros, but nothing else comes close as far as I'm concerned, and other than looking occasionally at other distros, I shall stick with what I know best
I know what you mean about years of .deb. I installed Mint Mate 19.3- 32 bit on that Acer and I am happy. There is still some crap on grub boot menu from Manjaro that I will need to address. Maybe I'll give a look at ArcoLinux.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

It depends what branch of three manjaro you are on. Stable is updated the least frequently but the trade off is those 1GiB+ updates every 2-3 weeks. Testing was what I used, you get more frequent updates, 1-2 weeks. Or there's unstable which updates every time there is something new in the manjaro or arch repositories.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I tried Manjaro in the past. I liked the idea of newer packages or at least I thought I did. I kept ending up with breakage I had to fix... Don't get me wrong, I do like it and I do think they do their best to provide a solid system. The default appearance is always nice, the tools they provide are very good but at least in my case things broke every now and then.

They base off Arc, so occasional breakage is kind of expected. Arch is cutting edge after all and they mainly go with packages exactly the way the developer intended. Arch does expect you to have some experience under your belt. I don't have much free time these days to fix things so Manjaro is not the best option for me.

If you have some free time, want current apps, Manjaro might be just what you are looking for.
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

JoeFootball wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:10 pm
urdrwho wrote: I do tend to distro hop but for a long time Mint has been my main distro.
I'm the same way. Mint is my go-to, but I do like Manjaro as a non-Debian/Ubuntu/Mint option. And that Arch Wiki is top notch in my opinion. I wish my documentation ethic was as good.
Arch documentation is the gold standard. It is an amazing resource.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

I don't know what's the big deal. I only tried it once and I got lost when installing software.
I thought it's different because I'm so used to doing it the Ubuntu-based way.
And I'm not going to change what I'm used to doing anytime soon.

I think some people will always opt for something that is not mainstream, to feel different.
Just like some people moving away from Windows, which I can't give up because there are still
programs that only run on Windows like AutoCAD and others.

The support for Ubuntu-based distros is massive. Find a problem and you'll see hundreds of resolutions
on the web. Therefore, it makes life easy.

I don't even see stability as an issue.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

rick gen wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:50 am
I don't know what's the big deal. I only tried it once and I got lost when installing software.
Manjaro's two GUI software installers (pamac and octopi) are both rather inferior to synaptic.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

This is beginning to become a distro bashing thread.

Synaptic itself is not without it's issues (flagging packages as residual config that should not be removed from lmde4 for example, failing to apply transactions because of 'broken' packages but not identifying which are broken) but it has decades of development behind it.

pamac-qt is a port of pamac-gtk and is very early in it's development.

pamac gtk is quite solid and once you get used to it is a powerful tool. It has integrated support for flatpak, snap and appimage, AUR and standard manjaro and arch package format.

octopi is no longer developed. pamac-qt is destined to replace it eventually.

Return to “Chat about Linux”