Chat about Linux in general
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Manjaro - what's the big deal

Post by Barbados99 »

antikythera wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:12 pm
This is beginning to become a distro bashing thread.

Synaptic itself is not without it's issues (flagging packages as residual config that should not be removed from lmde4 for example, failing to apply transactions because of 'broken' packages but not identifying which are broken) but it has decades of development behind it.

pamac-qt is a port of pamac-gtk and is very early in it's development.

pamac gtk is quite solid and once you get used to it is a powerful tool. It has integrated support for flatpak, snap and appimage, AUR and standard manjaro and arch package format.

octopi is no longer developed. pamac-qt is destined to replace it eventually.
I try to stay with pacman as much as possible with the Arch derivatives, but sometimes I do use pamac. I like pacman... and I'm simple-minded enough to be amused watching it do its pacman imitation when I add a new program :-)
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

yes, it is as amusing as mario head-butting blocks for coins on the Wii loading screens :D
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

I'd consider Artix GNU/Linux to be the perfect middle ground. Not too upstream, but also not too outdated. It's pretty stable.
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola »

I love Manjaro and its rolling release, user base, newest available programs etc. It feels very fresh. I don't have to wait for Ubuntu to catch up. I was [princess] about something here on Mint not having some up-to date tool I wanted and the reply was something like " well for that you need to go to something like arch not an LTS model". Indeed. I like that Manjaro is on a different base than ubuntu/mint with which I have more experience, so i get a different experience working on the Arch side but with an incredibly easy approach. Remember also that there are other desktops than XFCE. I prefer KDE on decent hardware which is wonderful. So I have Ubuntu, Mint, Manjaro on different machines. Also MX on one, thats a cool one too. My two main OS's are Mint and Manjaro depending on what I use the computer for. At work I lean Manjaro to obtain progs that are a bit off the beaten path but don't update until I need to. As to the OP, if you only one to learn one flavour, LM is great and sufficient.

about this auto-editing thing the forum prog just did, really..... [b*tching ---princess] ... Mom?
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
tuxedlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tuxedlinux »

urdrwho wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:36 pm
I do tend to distro hop but for a long time Mint has been my main distro.

Several years ago I had Manjaro installed on a laptop. I must have gotten someplace with it but not very far. Also I found the Manjaro forum was full of a lot of Manjaro fan boys that were snotty, rude and not very helpful.

I just took another look at Manjaro XFCE 20 on a live USB. I couldn't even figure out how or where to get to the AUR. I wanted to install Slmijet browser, an easy thing to do with DEB. But I did get to Github but that was it, no way did I remember how to use Yay or Pacman or tarballs or --- well ya get my drift.

To me sure if you want, take the time to learn all about Arch but I'm almost 70 and I don't care to learn again. I've become accustomed to ubuntu commands and the ease of installing programs.

So unless I am missing something - what's the big deal about Manjaro?
I agree with you. When I first used Manjaro, I had a bad experience. Updated the system and BOOM! System rendered unbootable. After that I joined the forums. I asked which DE was better for Manjaro. They mocked at me :(

If you are looking for a better and friendlier Arch Community/Forum, join the EndeavourOS forum. The members of the forum are respectful :)
Why Linux? Because of the freedom Image
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

tuxedlinux wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:24 am
urdrwho wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:36 pm
I do tend to distro hop but for a long time Mint has been my main distro.

Several years ago I had Manjaro installed on a laptop. I must have gotten someplace with it but not very far. Also I found the Manjaro forum was full of a lot of Manjaro fan boys that were snotty, rude and not very helpful.

I just took another look at Manjaro XFCE 20 on a live USB. I couldn't even figure out how or where to get to the AUR. I wanted to install Slmijet browser, an easy thing to do with DEB. But I did get to Github but that was it, no way did I remember how to use Yay or Pacman or tarballs or --- well ya get my drift.

To me sure if you want, take the time to learn all about Arch but I'm almost 70 and I don't care to learn again. I've become accustomed to ubuntu commands and the ease of installing programs.

So unless I am missing something - what's the big deal about Manjaro?
I agree with you. When I first used Manjaro, I had a bad experience. Updated the system and BOOM! System rendered unbootable. After that I joined the forums. I asked which DE was better for Manjaro. They mocked at me :(

If you are looking for a better and friendlier Arch Community/Forum, join the EndeavourOS forum. The members of the forum are respectful :)
+1
The EndeavourOS forum is a good one with really good and helpful people. I prefer EndeavourOS over Manjaro too. It's just a great OS to use.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
tuxedlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tuxedlinux »

Indeed.
tuxedlinux
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tuxedlinux »

I have decided to give Manjaro another try.

I browsed their forum with my old account, and they have gotten friendlier.

I remember my experience with Manjaro 3 months ago. It was quite good because I used to Cinnamon edition.

I'll give it another try. Or else, I will go with something like Artix or some other Arch derivative (idea: what about Linux Mint Arch Edition :lol: 8) )

Return to “Chat about Linux”