Chat about Linux in general
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Random thoughts on distro hopping

Post by antikythera »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:31 am
Bottom lijne, Fedora users are really nothing more than beta testers for Red Hat.
Exactly what Fedora is and always has been.

That would have been DNF. I used to refer to it as Did Not Finish for obvious reasons and carried on using yum until DNF matured.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
tjay260476
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tjay260476 »

I remember trying to find the right distro for my first web server,I tried Debian, Fedora, CentOS, then i settled on Ubuntu, it was the easiest one to learn, and the one I stuck with for a server.

For my laptop and PC, I only went from Ubuntu to Linux Mint.

So, for my experience I was distro hopping at the beginning, and 10 or so years later, it now is, 'what does the distro do out of the box' and go from there.
Long term Linux user, and still a learning!
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

tjay260476 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:02 am
I remember trying to find the right distro for my first web server,I tried Debian, Fedora, CentOS, then i settled on Ubuntu, it was the easiest one to learn, and the one I stuck with for a server.

For my laptop and PC, I only went from Ubuntu to Linux Mint.

So, for my experience I was distro hopping at the beginning, and 10 or so years later, it now is, 'what does the distro do out of the box' and go from there.
I think that's the way to go about it with all of these various distros available now. It's fine to check out what's out there, but once you find one that fits your needs best you do a deep-dive learning that one. The time invested in truly learning one distro well, is rewarded with a better experience with Linux. LOL, I guess that's my "water is wet" Captain Obvious statement though :-)

I continue to explore other distros out of curiosity but Mint is the one distro I use to get the work done on my daily driver computer.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Back in the day, yum seemed like such a godsend after playing with distros before package management was a thing. However, I strongly prefer apt.

I recognize that, on my path towards getting into the modern professional tech world, I need to learn and become comfortable with other package management systems. CentOS is my next hurdle after studying for and getting Net+. Well, I'll be learning that and learning more about some Microsoft stuff as well. Because, y'know... freaking Microsoft. :roll: :lol:
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I actually find myself really liking Ubuntu 20.04! After being on Windows 10, my android phone and a Chromebook for a year I wanted something different. Canonical got a lot of things right this time! The theme and icons really make Gnome Shell look modern! I wanted nothing that in any way reminded me of Widows 10 but looked modern.

The Wayland session works fantastic with my hardware too! Extensions made using public WiFi pretty decent and I am liking Gnome Shell a lot more these days. I don't have a problem with snap packages but then I only have VLC installed using a snap. Either way, no one is forcing me to use them and they do have a lot of resources invested in them.

I did not have to do very much to customize Ubuntu to my liking and with the wallpaper I found it has kind of a Mac OS look to it. I had tried MInt and some other distros but Ubuntu worked the best on my new laptop and my desktop. The laptop is running a main line kernel because of hardware issues but the next point release will solve that and the system is usable now.

Wayland, the new theme and improvements in Gnome Shell made it a good choice in my case.
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

I like the lean & mean boiler plate distros like Linux Mint XFCE, MX Linux, Peppermint.
Tried Ubuntu 20.04 on a Lenovo Thinkpad X140e but no wifi drivers.
Rather than start a wild goose chase for a wifi driver I got adventurous and went with with Parrot OS instead and it installed perfectly with all required device drivers in tow ... this is a so-called "hacking" distro that runs well on legacy hardware and that does ordinary run of the mill stuff quite well ... Linux has definitely been and continues to be a learning experience ... now I'll be careful to learn about "hacking tools" all the while making sure I stay off the FBI radar and out of jail. :mrgreen:
rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

distro hopping, or experimenting, and learning even a little is a good thing.

IF I hadn't given Ubuntu, then a year later Mint a try, I might still be stuck in a stupid window somewhere.

I've tried a few linuxes, I have an Arch VM. Frankly I could, and happily use a number of them.
Debian, just need add sudo
MX, Zorin, Solus, Pepermint, all good.

I heard many time Linux gives you Freedom, and options, it is good to know a little about what some of them are.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's
zshlover
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zshlover »

antikythera wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:31 pm
Hoser Rob wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:31 am
Bottom lijne, Fedora users are really nothing more than beta testers for Red Hat.
Exactly what Fedora is and always has been.

That would have been DNF. I used to refer to it as Did Not Finish for obvious reasons and carried on using yum until DNF matured.
Fedora repository is way to slow in Europe, that's why I uninstalled it. The distro isn't to bad, but with those waiting times it's unworkable
Learn Python: pythonspot.com, pyqt

Return to “Chat about Linux”