Ubuntu forum bans me for no reason, is here better?

Chat about Linux in general
j2ee
Level 2
Level 2

Ubuntu forum bans me for no reason, is here better?

Post by j2ee »

All I did recently over there was asking "why a lot of Linux includes Ubuntu got hacked by Ransomware"
I was not trying to against Ubuntu at all, I just want to get some technical responses. Seem like admin would ban anyone over there as long as not saying Ubuntu is the best in the world.
Last edited by Moem on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved into a more suitable forum area.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Ubuntu forum bans me for no reason, is here better?

Post by Moem »

Our forum rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314 You are assumed to have read those rules, since you've been here for a while.
Stay within those and keep things friendly and you'll be fine. It's also fine to say that Mint is not the best in the world. But people will want to know your reasoning.

By the way, we do not support Ubuntu here. So if you want to ask questions about Ubuntu, this is not the place to be. Also this is not a good place to gripe about the moderators of other forums. That's a kind of gossip that doesn't do any good.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

For the record: in the past I've also had some differences of opinion with the Ubuntu forum moderators, but they don't do things for no reason. Certainly not something as drastic as a ban.

In my experience the Ubuntu forum moderators are capable, friendly and knowledgeable volunteers. Good hardworking people.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I got a warning once on the Ubuntu forum some years ago. They were right for warning me. The moderators are helpful, knowledgeable people and they were just doing their job. I was out of line and it was a long time ago.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

j2ee wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:57 pm
All I did recently over there was asking "why a lot of Linux includes Ubuntu got hacked by Ransomware"
I was not trying to against Ubuntu at all, I just want to get some technical responses. Seem like admin would ban anyone over there as long as not saying Ubuntu is the best in the world.
You may have an IP address in a range frequently used by spammers. If they read your post as potential spambot material then you could have been mistakenly banned on that basis. Moderators are human and do make mistakes from time to time. I'm sure if you emailed them instead of running to another forum to moan it could be rectified.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor

Return to “Chat about Linux”