Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Microsoft Edge Dev now available for linux

Post by AZgl1500 »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:17 pm
AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 am
I don't trust anything from Microsoft, and I deleted the Edge browser from my Win10 SSD on this laptop.

I run Mint 99.98% of the time anyway, but I do follow what MS is doing....
have too, my daughter is using Win10 simply because of one reason,
MS ACCESS is so proprietary, that no one else can work with it.

her business has a huge ACCESS database.
There are programs which can convert Access to MySQL.
That would require that I learn Programming, and I have No Interest in that at all.
I have other things in life to keep me busy,

like today, I had to repair a managed right front fender on our car....
my daughter is a Rural Mail Carrier, and it had caught one too many Mailboxes....

Damn cars are now made out of plastic, once those buttons are pulled loose, they are NOT repairable, the body shop won't even look at it.... so, I pulled it together so it looks decent, drilled holes above and below the joints, and use Big Heavy Tyraps to secure it together..... at least from 10 feet away, it don't look bad at all.

and it quit flying out in the wind about 12 inches away from the car.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Re: MS Edge for Linux

Post by deepakdeshp »

That's very good that you are tinkering with things and set them right. Here you don't need to learn programming. There will be user friendly guis to import access db to MySQL. Then just start the MySQL database and use it. Practical problems will be known when you try it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Not a chance. I will not be a participant in the Google take over of the web. I use a browser that is built by people who believe in freedom online: Firefox. Anything Chrome or Chromium based is a win for Google and when Google wins, we all loose.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Pjotr wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:33 pm
If Microsoft will release it in the same way as Google does with Chrome, i.e. a .deb file and its own repo for updating, then I'll certainly try it. Not if it's a mere Flatpak and/or Snap.

Having an extra web browser or two, never hurt anyone. 8)
Yep, it's shipped as a .Deb for us Debian-derivative users.

I installed it the other day just for laughs, and actually it wasn't bad.

On my computer I primarily use Firefox, and on my phone i exclusively use Chrome. There just aren't any other browsers I like. FF comes the closest of any I've tried, but it still sucks compared with Chrome.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:11 pm
Pjotr wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:33 pm
If Microsoft will release it in the same way as Google does with Chrome, i.e. a .deb file and its own repo for updating, then I'll certainly try it. Not if it's a mere Flatpak and/or Snap.

Having an extra web browser or two, never hurt anyone. 8)
Yep, it's shipped as a .Deb for us Debian-derivative users.

I installed it the other day just for laughs, and actually it wasn't bad.

On my computer I primarily use Firefox, and on my phone i exclusively use Chrome. There just aren't any other browsers I like. FF comes the closest of any I've tried, but it still sucks compared with Chrome.
Actually, Snap package for Edge is one of the few times I'd choose it over my regular repositories or PPA's...
aloittelija
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aloittelija »

You need Edge if you want HD or 4K on Netflix
Attachments
Kuvakaappaus 2020-11-18 08-49-20.png
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

aloittelija wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:53 am
You need Edge if you want HD or 4K on Netflix
I could give a crap on that, our Rural internet connection can be compared to drinking through a 1/4 inch hose.

click on 4K and the internet comes to a stop.

I deleted Edge on my Win10 SSD half of this laptop, in fact, I deleted Explorer also.

installed Firefox and that is how it will stay.
but, I only use Win10 for TurboTax, and that is all.

the rest of the year, it is Mint for me.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

The company I work for has started pushing Edge out to their remote locations, though they're still using Internet Explorer primarily. As an experiment, the other day I opened the main online system we use in Edge, just to see how well things would behave. Everything worked except that, when printing out the discrepancy reports we use to check in an audit, there were missing items which just happened to fall at the point that top- and bottom-of-page margins occurred. For whatever reason, Internet Explorer will at least carry the item over to the printable area of the succeeding page.

Given that there could easily be a single item with a discrepancy we need to verify and/or fix that we wouldn't see as a result, i foresee this as a legitimate problem when the company fully switches over, unless they are able to determine why this is happening and take steps to fix it.

In the meantime, given my company's track record in technological areas, I'm going to sit back and wait for the trainwreck this will almost inevitably cause.

"Such and such an item was $3,500 short on the discrepancy. Why didn't you catch this?!?" I can already hear our boss screaming at someone.
Your humble Portreve.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Portreve wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:42 am
The company I work for has started pushing Edge out to their remote locations, though they're still using Internet Explorer primarily. As an experiment, the other day I opened the main online system we use in Edge, just to see how well things would behave. Everything worked except that, when printing out the discrepancy reports we use to check in an audit, there were missing items which just happened to fall at the point that top- and bottom-of-page margins occurred. For whatever reason, Internet Explorer will at least carry the item over to the printable area of the succeeding page.

Given that there could easily be a single item with a discrepancy we need to verify and/or fix that we wouldn't see as a result, i foresee this as a legitimate problem when the company fully switches over, unless they are able to determine why this is happening and take steps to fix it.

In the meantime, given my company's track record in technological areas, I'm going to sit back and wait for the trainwreck this will almost inevitably cause.

"Such and such an item was $3,500 short on the discrepancy. Why didn't you catch this?!?" I can already hear our boss screaming at someone.
Do I understand correctly that your company is sending discrepancy reports in emails? If so, that's not very secure. Encrypted PDFs are far more secure and wouldn't have the problem of lost lines.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:58 am
Do I understand correctly that your company is sending discrepancy reports in emails?
Nope. Not sure where you got that idea. Our system uses a VPN and we're looking at reports served up via a web server connected to whatever back end system they use.

EDIT: To make this specific and clear, we are literally printing out web pages.
Your humble Portreve.

JesseRBassett
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JesseRBassett »

Definately a pass. I thought the whole point of Linux/Unix was to be free from the big dog? (I.e. Microsoft/apple) ?
Sincerely,
Jesse B.

Acer Aspire Revo R3700 Desktop l Linux Mint 20 Uylana l 2gb DDR3 RAM l 232gb HDD l
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

JesseRBassett wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:10 pm
Definately a pass. I thought the whole point of Linux/Unix was to be free from the big dog? (I.e. Microsoft/apple) ?
Yes, but when you've been "free from the big dog" as long as I have (summer of 2006), it's fun to play with some big dog toys, just because you can. Some people put salt into their coffee. Scientists call it Curiositas. :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

JesseRBassett wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:10 pm
MS are contributing heavily to the code commits for chromium so if you already use Firefox you'd best stick with it from now on ;)

https://twitter.com/ericlaw/status/1329 ... 18/photo/1
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Whenever I mention running Linux to anyone I know, more often than not, they respond with:

"Oh yeah! Stick it to the man!"

The "man-sticking" aspect of Linux was never a consideration to me when switching to full-time Linux desktop.
If I needed to and actually wanted to run Red Hat, I'd gladly pay for a well-put-together distro which included official support.

Return to “Chat about Linux”