MS Edge for Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Re: MS Edge for Linux

Post by Az4x4 »

Timeshift did the trick. Wasn't really worried about getting rid of it, just pissed off that Microsoft feels they can treat Linux users who decide to take a look at Edge like they treat Windows users, by NOT providing a simple straightforward way to rid their system of MS junk once they've given it a whirl - especially those using a distro that doesn't provide Timeshift capabilities..
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Az4x4 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:43 am Timeshift did the trick. Wasn't really worried about getting rid of it, just pissed off that Microsoft feels they can treat Linux users who decide to take a look at Edge like they treat Windows users, by NOT providing a simple straightforward way to rid their system of MS junk once they've given it a whirl - especially those using a distro that doesn't provide Timeshift capabilities..
It's not a release ready browser package yet and is aimed at developers and early adopters only. Additionally you can't expect it to work like a normal deb from the distribution repositories because it's third party and Microsoft developers aren't experienced at packaging for Linux.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

Hmm.... I just went to the Edge icon in the menu (Cinnamon, Cinnamenu), right clicked and selected Remove. Then to the Update Manager, selected Additional Repositories, selected the Microsoft entry and again selected Remove. Done.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I installed 'Edge' from a 'deb' file. I also have the option to uninstall it in the start menu. Synaptic also would work to uninstall PLUS I have the total log file on what was done to my system. Honestly, I like it and may use until Firefox gets their snit together
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

Pepi wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:36 pm I installed 'Edge' from a 'deb' file. I also have the option to uninstall it in the start menu. Synaptic also would work to uninstall PLUS I have the total log file on what was done to my system. Honestly, I like it and may use until Firefox gets their snit together
Since I discovered Brave I don't use anything else. IMO nothing's faster.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

fstjohn wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:20 pm
Pepi wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:36 pm I installed 'Edge' from a 'deb' file. I also have the option to uninstall it in the start menu. Synaptic also would work to uninstall PLUS I have the total log file on what was done to my system. Honestly, I like it and may use until Firefox gets their snit together
What he said. I keep Firefox as a backup but haven't had to use it in I-don't-know-when.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

What he said. I keep Firefox as a backup but haven't had to use it in I-don't-know-when.
I use Brave for Android, too. Just as fast. Can't comment on Ios.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

What he said.
For those of us either using Brave or any other Chromium based browser, You may wish to go into "FLAGS" in the browser address bar and reset the settings to either enable or disable as spelled out below.

Hope this is helpful.

Copy and paste the brave flags into your address bar up top:

Code: Select all

brave://flags
Then look for the following items and look how I either enabled or disabled them marked in RED

Smooth Scrolling
Animate smoothly when scrolling page content. – Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android
#smooth-scrolling
Enabled

Force Dark Mode for Web Contents
Automatically render all web contents using a dark theme. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Android
#enable-force-dark
Enabled

Happiness Tracking Surveys Demo
Enable showing Happiness Tracking Surveys Demo to users on Desktop – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
#happiness-tracking-surveys-for-desktop-demo
Disabled

Happiness Tracking Surveys migration
Enable the latest version of Happiness Tracking Surveys. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
#happiness-tracking-surveys-for-desktop-migration
Disabled

Happiness Tracking Surveys for Settings
Enable showing Happiness Tracking Surveys for Settings to users on Desktop – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
#happiness-tracking-surveys-for-desktop-settings
Disabled

Happiness Tracking Surveys for Privacy Settings
Enable showing Happiness Tracking Surveys for Privacy Settings to users on Desktop – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
#happiness-tracking-surveys-for-desktop-settings-privacy
Disabled

Enable removing SameSite=None cookies
Enables UI on chrome://settings/siteData to remove all third-party cookies and site data. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
#enable-removing-all-third-party-cookies
Enabled

Heavy Ad Intervention
Unloads ads that use too many device resources. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android
#enable-heavy-ad-intervention
Enabled
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

then, there will be the Claim, that Edge is Better:
https://www.makeuseof.com/microsoft-edg ... x-in-dust/

aka Microsoft Is Edging Its Way Into the Number Two Spot . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by fstjohn »

For those of us either using Brave or any other Chromium based browser, You may wish to go into "FLAGS" in the browser address bar and reset the settings to either enable or disable as spelled out below.

Hope this is helpful.
Thanks. I would add Extensions Toolbar Menu
Enable
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

From ps_mem.py, firefox vs google-chrome-stable vs ms-edge, each with the same 6 tabs opened; with umatrix and ublock disabled on chrome and firefox, no addons installed in edge.

Code: Select all

Private  +   Shared  =  RAM used   Program
650.4 MiB + 961.3 MiB =   1.6 GiB   msedge (33)
851.2 MiB +   1.1 GiB =   2.0 GiB   chrome (43)
886.1 MiB +   1.2 GiB =   2.1 GiB   firefox-bin (10)
Can't comment on the speed except they all seem about the same.

Edit: I like firefox the best, but to have an alternate to it (in case it's dead or whatever), I fooled around with brave and ended up (re)installing vivaldi because it's the only one with useful additions/modifications (esp. the sidebar) to chrome, and dis-installing edge, chrome and brave.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Kseanfitz_1
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Kseanfitz_1 »

I got curious and did a little web search...
FYI,
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:21 pm

Enable removing SameSite=None cookies
Enables UI on chrome://settings/siteData to remove all third-party cookies and site data. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS
#enable-removing-all-third-party-cookies
Enabled

chromestatus.com/feature

Reject insecure SameSite=None cookies
Network / Connectivity

Deprecate and remove the use of cookies with the SameSite=None attribute but without the Secure attribute. Any cookie that requests SameSite=None but is not marked Secure will be rejected.

This feature is available as of Chrome 76 by enabling the cookies-without-same-site-must-be-secure flag.

This feature will be rolled out gradually to Stable users starting July 14, 2020. See https://www.chromium.org/updates/same-site for full timeline and more details.
Motivation

Cookies delivered over plaintext channels may be cataloged or modified by network attackers. Requiring secure transport for cookies intended for cross-site usage reduces this risk, and encourages entities that produce embeddable content to migrate to HTTPS.

The use of non-Secure cookies facilitates pervasive monitoring, a widespread attack on users’ privacy. This change will mitigate the risks presented by pervasive monitoring by curtailing the use of non-Secure third-party cookies. Third-party cookies are widely used for tracking and may contain sensitive data that pertains to user identity. Cookies with SameSite=None are specifically marked for use in third-party contexts. By requiring SameSite=None cookies to be Secure, users are protected by default from attacks on their identifying data that may compromise their privacy.

In addition, non-secure embeds are a risk to users’ privacy and security. The use of non-secure embeds degrades users’ security and user experience on first-party sites by hampering first-party upgrades to secure transport because of limitations imposed on mixed content. The use of HTTPS protects users and sites, and the presence of mixed embedded content downgrades its security benefits. Requiring Secure for SameSite=None cookies will increase the security of the web by encouraging embeddable content producers to migrate to HTTPS.
*****************************************************************************************************************************
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:21 pm
Heavy Ad Intervention
Unloads ads that use too many device resources. – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android
#enable-heavy-ad-intervention
Enabled
developers.google.com/web/updates/2020/05/heavy-ad

Ads that consume a disproportionate amount of resources on a device negatively impact the user’s experience—from the obvious effects of degrading performance to less visible consequences such as draining the battery or eating up bandwidth allowances. These ads range from the actively malicious, such as cryptocurrency miners, through to genuine content with inadvertent bugs or performance issues.
Heavy Ad criteria

An ad is considered heavy if the user has not interacted with it (for example, has not tapped or clicked it) and it meets any of the following criteria:

Uses the main thread for more than 60 seconds in total
Uses the main thread for more than 15 seconds in any 30 second window
Uses more than 4 megabytes of network bandwidth

All resources used by any descendant iframes of the ad frame count against the limits for intervening on that ad. It’s important to note that the main thread time limits are not the same as elapsed time since loading the ad. The limits are on how long the CPU takes to execute the ad's code.
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums!
"One, is glad to be of service."
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Heavy ad intervention is good, it kills quite a few resource hogging adverts while letting the rest demanding ones that help fund the websites through. I've had that flag enabled ever since it was added to Chrome.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Well, I've been testing Microsoft Edge for Linux a bit, and it's pretty good. Can't see any advantage over Chrome / Chromium, though (not surprisingly, as it's based on Chromium).

Nevertheless, it's always handy to have a spare web browser or two. And it's of course rather amusing in itself, to have Edge in my Linux system. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Microsoft Edge Dev now available for linux

Post by deepakdeshp »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 am I don't trust anything from Microsoft, and I deleted the Edge browser from my Win10 SSD on this laptop.

I run Mint 99.98% of the time anyway, but I do follow what MS is doing....
have too, my daughter is using Win10 simply because of one reason,
MS ACCESS is so proprietary, that no one else can work with it.

her business has a huge ACCESS database.
There are programs which can convert Access to MySQL.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Well if Edge is based on Chrome you will probably get these benefits too? https://security.googleblog.com/2020...d-more-in.html

Beats me why Google and Microsoft have any users. :roll:

Count me out.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Well if Edge is based on Chrome you will probably get these benefits too? https://security.googleblog.com/2020...d-more-in.html
Beats me why Google and Microsoft have any users. :roll:
Count me out.
Was that blog site supposed to show me something, Its blank for me...does that mean that using Brave browser along with my own "tweaks" have me successfully "de-googled"???...LOL...DAMIEN
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Last edited by Bob M on Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Yep...works now...lol...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I have all that kind of "google" garbage turned off anyways in favour of my own remedies...lol...DAMIEN

Return to “Chat about Linux”