RTL8723BS, no wifi, but bluetooth works

Chat about Linux in general
Serpico84
Level 1
Level 1

RTL8723BS, no wifi, but bluetooth works

Post by Serpico84 »

Hi, I know this is a Mint forum, but I found a lot of useful topics here about this specific issue, so I though I'd ask you guys anyways even if I'm actually on ubuntu, I hope it's not a problem.

In short, I recently installed Ubuntu 20.04 to breathe new life into my 2 in 1 acer aspire switch one 10 (SW1-011), and everything seems to work properly (with a few minor exceptions) but the real problem is that the wifi card is not being detected.

The model is RTL8723BS, which includes both bluetooth and wifi, working on a SDIO interface as far as I know. Bluetooth works correctly, but the wifi interface is not even listed anywhere.

iwconfig shows "no wireless extensions"

rfkill list all shows only bluetooth

sudo lshw -C network shows only an ethernet interface

There is no physical switch for wireless nor bluetooth, neither a BIOS option. Secure boot is disabled.

Here I found some old topics about this, and they all referred to the https://github.com/hadess/rtl8723bs repository, but since then the drivers have been merged into the kernel, and fact I can see them in /lib/firmware/rtlwifi/.

This is the output of dmesg | grep -i rtl

Code: Select all

[    6.893883] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: examining hci_ver=06 hci_rev=000b lmp_ver=06 lmp_subver=8723
[    6.898197] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: rom_version status=0 version=1
[    6.898202] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_fw.bin
[    6.901274] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: loading rtl_bt/rtl8723bs_config-OBDA8723.bin
[    6.925627] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: cfg_sz 64, total sz 24508
[    7.847984] Bluetooth: hci0: RTL: fw version 0x365d462e
Any help is very welcome
Attachments
wireless-info.txt
Result of wireless-info
(10.97 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by Serpico84 on Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: RTL8723BS, no wifi, but bluetooth works

Post by Pierre »

Open Terminal and run these:

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/raw/master/wireless-info && chmod +x wireless-info && ./wireless-info

cat wireless-info.txt | nc termbin.com 9999
Post URL from Terminal and that wireless-info file, back here, on your reply.

NB: you will need an working Ethernet connection.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Serpico84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Serpico84 »

Pierre wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:26 am
Open Terminal and run these:

wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/wireless-info/raw/master/wireless-info && chmod +x wireless-info && ./wireless-info

cat wireless-info.txt | nc termbin.com 9999
Post URL from Terminal and that wireless-info file, back here, on your reply.

NB: you will need an working Ethernet connection.
No ethernet, but I'm tethering through bluetooth. Here's the url: http://termbin.com/rfmg
sleeper12
Level 13
Level 13

Post by sleeper12 »

Does wifi work if you disable bluetooth? I ask because bluetooth can sometimes block wifi.
Serpico84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Serpico84 »

sleeper12 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:46 pm
Does wifi work if you disable bluetooth? I ask because bluetooth can sometimes block wifi.
Unfortunately, no, I already tried.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Unofficial unsupported kernel:

Linux 5.8.10-050810-generic
Dump that one and install a soon-to-be official 5.8 kernel by means of the Canonical Kernel Team PPA, if you really need a kernel from that series.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MrEen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by MrEen »

As the topic is about Ubuntu, the thread has been moved to the Chat about Linux section from the Mint support section.
sleeper12
Level 13
Level 13

Post by sleeper12 »

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:31 pm
Unofficial unsupported kernel:

Linux 5.8.10-050810-generic
Dump that one and install a soon-to-be official 5.8 kernel by means of the Canonical Kernel Team PPA, if you really need a kernel from that series.
Yep, I was about to question the 5.8 kernel too.
Serpico84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Serpico84 »

I'm on that kernel because someone suggested upgrading it to a version >= 5.7, but I had the same problem / output with the official 5.4 version as well. I reverted to that, but as said there's no difference.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Serpico84 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:22 am
I'm on that kernel because someone suggested upgrading it to a version >= 5.7, but I had the same problem / output with the official 5.4 version as well. I reverted to that, but as said there's no difference.
I'm not specifically advising you to revert to the 5.4.x, but to install a soon-to-be official 5.8 kernel by means of the Canonical Kernel Team PPA, if you need a 5.8.x kernel. :wink:
Serpico84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Serpico84 »

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:37 am
I'm not specifically advising you to revert to the 5.4.x, but to install a soon-to-be official 5.8 kernel by means of the Canonical Kernel Team PPA, if you need a 5.8.x kernel. :wink:
Not sure this is going to help, but I can try if you wish. I don't think the 5.8 kernel changes anything to be honest.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Serpico84 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:24 am
Pjotr wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:37 am
Not sure this is going to help, but I can try if you wish. I don't think the 5.8 kernel changes anything to be honest.
I wouldn't advise this if there was no chance of success. The kernel devs of Ubuntu (Canonical) apply all kinds of modifications, additions and tweaks (some of which are hardware-related) to the upstream kernels.
Serpico84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Serpico84 »

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:33 am
I wouldn't advise this if there was no chance of success. The kernel devs of Ubuntu (Canonical) apply all kinds of modifications, additions and tweaks (some of which are hardware-related) to the upstream kernels.
I did install the latest from kernel.ubuntu.com, and it shows exactly as the one above as 5.8.11-050811-generic . I'm not sure I'm understanding what you suggest at this point.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Serpico84 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:18 am
Pjotr wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:33 am
I did install the latest from kernel.ubuntu.com, and it shows exactly as the one above as 5.8.11-050811-generic .
That's a pity. But it's still unclear to me, whether you installed it by means of the Canonical Kernel Team PPA, like I advised twice already:
https://launchpad.net/~canonical-kernel ... ubuntu/ppa
...because there's also an unstable branch, which I definitely do not recommend.

Look, I can only (try to) help you if you have a predictable system. That can only be achieved with either an official kernel or a soon-to-be official kernel.
Serpico84 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:18 am
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you suggest at this point.
Well, obviously you can't, because I hadn't suggested anything beyond this point yet, did I?

First we need to make sure that your system is running on the right(ish) kernel. Then we can take it from there. Note that I don't intend to go on persuading you to do the things I advise; I have better things to do with my time. :wink:
Serpico84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Serpico84 »

With the last phrase I meant exactly that I'm not sure I installed the right kernel, that is, the one you are referring to. Basically, I got it from here: https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/, which is wrong I guess.

I will try again with the one you provided, sorry if you have to spell things out a lot, but I'm a bit inexperienced with ubuntu and linux in general. I definitely understand that having a stable system is a requirement to even start finding a solution. I'll let you know.
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

<Some off-topic posts were removed as these didn't contribute to solving this issue.>
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Serpico84 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:18 am
Any help is very welcome
...as far as i'm aware, RTL8723BS-based wifi has never worked under the SW1-011 model specifically.
It has worked with other 'similar' Aspire models in the past though (eg. with manually respinned kernels like Linuxium etc).

File a bug report if you want my humble opinion. Two options that i see.
1) Go straight to kernel's bugzilla, either in the Networking or else the Drivers - Network Wireless list.
2) Install the latest Fedora, see how it goes, and if still nada (...quite likely in this case),
file a kernel bug report there. Something among those lines to get an idea.
If you're lucky enough, your issue might get noticed by mr.Goede, who is more or less responsible,
for most of the up-streamed fixes on cheap Baytrail / Cherrytrail tablets.
sleeper12
Level 13
Level 13

Post by sleeper12 »

Are you sure secure boot is disabled?

sudo apt install mokutil && mokutil --sb-state 
Serpico84
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Serpico84 »

@thx-1138 ugh this doesn't sound good at all, but thank you for the info. I'd still like to try with the canonical team kernel as suggested by Pjotr though, afterwards I'll filing a bug report.

@sleeper12 yeah, I double checked in the bios and tried with mokutil, disabled.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Somewhat related, I have a newer laptop with Realtek sound. Sometimes the default kernel recognizes it right, sometimes it doesn't. I installed the latest mainline kernel and solved the issue. With your system the WiFi is the issue but either way the same company made it and their hardware is problematic at times with both Linux and Windows.

These instructions will help you install a newer kernel.

https://www.how2shout.com/linux/install ... ntu-20-04/

I had to do this before over a WiFi issue just like what you are seeing on another laptop. It's not an ideal solution, you will see some harmless firmware errors on boot but your hardware should work fine. It's really either this or wait for a point release with the newer kernel. Well, I guess you could compile the kernel yourself but I have not done that for ages. Ubuntu used to have a script that helped build a custom kernel but I don't know whatever happened to it these days.

It is easy enough to remove the mainline kernel if and when you choose to. I kept the default kernel so that when the newer kernel is available in the point release I can boot from it, install the new kernel and hardware stack and just remove the mainline kernel. I admit, it is something of a dirty hack but the system works fine and this gets me by until a better solution becomes available.

Edit: Another option might be to pick up a usb WiFi adapter if you are unable to find support for the one you have.

Edit 2: After re-reading everything in this thread, the newer kernel is not likely to solve your particular issue. Unfortunately, an adapter is probably your best bet.

Return to “Chat about Linux”