Multiboot: Linux-only or with other systems: do you do?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Multiboot: Linux-only or with other systems: do you do?

Post by rick gen »

I used to multiboot 3 - 5 Linux distros, mostly Ubuntu-based systems.
(No interest in Arch-based, Debian-based, none, nada, zero. My main
focus is in real applications such as Drawing programs, Word, etc.
Zero interest in tinkering with operating systems like other people do.
To me their only function is to launch apps, house keeping, make
everyday task easy, etc. And I get all that with my current Linux systems,
Mint Xfce, and Cinnamon sometimes.)

Of course, I add Linux after the beginning partitions with Win 10 and Win 7.
I'll never get rid of the Windows systems because I'll never be able to sell it
if I decided to. I bought the PC with Windows in it so I leave them alone
and occasionally update them. No harm done. People don't buy old PCs without Windows in it.
Last edited by rick gen on Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I bought the PC with Windows in it so I leave them alone and occasionally update them.
Take an image and then delete them. It's what I first do on any new to me PC - take an image backup of win, delete and do my stuff. In the unlikely event that I would ever sell one of my PCs I can restore the win backup. You don't even need to do that with win10, download an iso, install it and win will recognise that PC has a valid licence.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rick gen »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:03 pmTake an image and then delete them. It's what I first do on any new to me PC - take an image backup of win, delete and do my stuff. In the unlikely event that I would ever sell one of my PCs I can restore the win backup. You don't even need to do that with win10, download an iso, install it and win will recognise that PC has a valid licence.
I still use Windows when I use my Fujitsu scanner, which only have Windows drivers.
It's got very useful software utilities like when editing the scanned image.

As for recovery image, I have such utility. It's an old version of Paragon Backup.
It's so damn easy to use and can be booted on a live usb, complete with
common sense interface; Backup, Restore, etc. It can backup the entire hard drive,
partition, single/multiple, directories, files, and can be restored as easily as
when backing up.

Paragon is not even a Windows system when booted from a USB, or CD if you prefer.
It's probably Linux/Unix type. That's why I never understood why open source devs
can't come up with this kind of Backup software. What they have is something like
Clonezilla. Which is like using something from the pre-Cambrian period.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

rick gen wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:27 pm I still use Windows when I use my Fujitsu scanner, which only have Windows drivers.
Check out Vuescan, available for linux:
https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/fujitsu ... er-drivers
I used the win version for years, long before I started using mint. It's not free, but I think it's worth it.
Paragon Backup... It's so damn easy to use and can be booted on a live usb, complete with common sense interface; Backup, Restore, etc. It can backup the entire hard drive, partition, single/multiple, directories, files, and can be restored as easily as when backing up.

It's probably Linux/Unix type. That's why I never understood why open source devs can't come up with this kind of Backup software. What they have is something like Clonezilla. Which is like using something from the pre-Cambrian period.
That's why I developed foxclone.
https://foxclone.com/ US download, or the archive at
https://www.foxclone.org/ which is UK based.
Download the iso, burn to a usb stick and boot from it.

Doesn't do files just backup/restore/clone of drives & partitions.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Chat about Linux”