Chat about Linux in general
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Linux will decimate Windows desktop?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Looks like Linux will gobble Windows.
https://news.google.com/articles/CBMieG ... id=IN%3Aen
But MS has huge money, while Linux doesn't at this moment.I don't see it happening in near future.
Last edited by Pierre on Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged these Topics, on that article, by Eric Raymond . .
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux will decimate Windows desktop?

Post by exploder »

For all of us that have been using Linux all these years it already has! :D
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

If I am following the dots correctly, ESR is suggesting WSL will replace Windows. I thought the purpose of WSL is to run Linux binaries under Windows. Linux the emulation layer, here, not Windows. (I thought ESR was banished from the realm earlier this year for being ... himself.)

Windows may not be the cash cow it once was, but MS-Office still is. I do not foresee Micro~1 releasing a Linux version of Office any time soon. Windows is not going away.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Windows may not be the cash cow it once was, but MS-Office still is. I do not foresee Micro~1 releasing a Linux version of Office any time soon. Windows is not going away.
You can run MS Office on Linux through the browser. You have to buy a subscription to get all the features though.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Two things:

Eric S. Raymond recently commented that he thinks Windows is on its way to becoming merely a compatibility layer.

On my Windows 10 install, I signed up for an annual subscription to Office 365. OMG, it's so laggy and slow, and gags on some of the spreadsheets I use for work. So, I downloaded and installed LO 7.0 and it runs absolutely perfectly.

Which, of course, leads me to the question: exactly what in the hell is Office 365? I remember back in the day when I used to use Word 5.1 and Excel around about that same time, and they were a zillion times more snappy than O365.
Your humble Portreve.

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0

Problem solved? Mark your thread [SOLVED] | There’s no place like ::1
I used to be a natural people person, then people ruined it.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:56 pm
I remember back in the day when I used to use Word 5.1 and Excel around about that same time, and they were a zillion times more snappy than O365.
If you're using the online versions of the O365 applications, it may help to understand that those are written in Javascript so they are not just completely knobbled in features, but also in speed.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 pm
I thought the purpose of WSL is to run Linux binaries under Windows.
You are correct. I dare say that WSL is Microsoft's silly response to enterprise demands for Linux.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:02 pm
Portreve wrote:
I remember back in the day when I used to use Word 5.1 and Excel around about that same time, and they were a zillion times more snappy than O365.
If you're using the online versions of the O365 applications, it may help to understand that those are written in Javascript so they are not just completely knobbled in features, but also in speed.
Well, I just checked and it is listed as Office 16, and there are local executables. So, I don't know if they are over-glorified web apps, or legitimately fully locally installed programs.
Your humble Portreve.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:09 pm
Well, I just checked and it is listed as Office 16, and there are local executables. So, I don't know if they are over-glorified web apps, or legitimately fully locally installed programs.
The online versions are run entirely in a browser and work on Linux so you've got the Windows applications installed.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:11 pm
Portreve wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:09 pm
The online versions are run entirely in a browser and work on Linux so you've got the Windows applications installed.
Well, they still run like pieces of s**t. It's, frankly, embarrassing how much better LO 7 runs in the exact same installation.
Your humble Portreve.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Portreve wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:27 pm
Well, they still run like pieces of s**t. It's, frankly, embarrassing how much better LO 7 runs in the exact same installation.
Yes. It always gives me the feeling of being forced to bathe in someone else's dirty bathwater. I have to use O365 for work.
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Windows to become emulation layer for Linux?

Post by Portreve »

Your humble Portreve.

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Windows to become emulation layer for Linux?

Post by MurphCID »

I will wait and see. Predictions of the Linux-pocalypse have been overblown before.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote:
Two things:

Eric S. Raymond recently commented that he thinks Windows is on its way to becoming merely a compatibility layer.

On my Windows 10 install, I signed up for an annual subscription to Office 365. OMG, it's so laggy and slow, and gags on some of the spreadsheets I use for work. So, I downloaded and installed LO 7.0 and it runs absolutely perfectly.

Which, of course, leads me to the question: exactly what in the hell is Office 365? I remember back in the day when I used to use Word 5.1 and Excel around about that same time, and they were a zillion times more snappy than O365.
Office 365, like Photoshop now is a way for Microsoft to continuously gouge you for money. A never ending vacuum to your wallet. As for ESR, he gets hammered for telling it like it is, not what the PC crowd wants to hear. I would rather have someone telling me unpleasant truths than moral pablum.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Yep...there getting there...i had predicted years ago here in the forums that eventually, Microsoft was going to throw in the towel on Windows and at the time when they got rid of their quality control staff in favour of using volunteer guinea pigs, i figured that was the FIRST step.

The SECOND step was paying there half a million dollars a year for a seat on the Linux foundation and buying out GitHub.

The THIRD step was incorporating a linux kernel for WSL and including Linux distro availability into its systems.

The FOURTH step was to concede the fact that the browser war was lost to Google, and what did they do? The new Edge Browser based on Google Chrome.

My prediction for whats coming, is to ditch their own Windows kernels and just use Linux kernels instead.

I do believe they will definitly keep everything propriatory with some of their own stuff built in but its certainly going to be a savings on their R & D dollars that they will instead pour into Azure, Microsoft Office products etc....DAMIEN

Ps...Just as an after thought here but they will also be offering Windows offering for Linux users, such as their plan to offer Edge Browser to Linux users, thus expanding their market share beyond windows.

EDIT...Just want to be clear that i will give up computers if ever forced to work with, or on Windows ever again...lol.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

MurphCID wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:08 am
Portreve wrote:
Two things:

Office 365, like Photoshop now is a way for Microsoft to continuously gouge you for money. A never ending vacuum to your wallet. As for ESR, he gets hammered for telling it like it is, not what the PC crowd wants to hear. I would rather have someone telling me unpleasant truths than moral pablum.
Well... what I meant by "What is Office 365?" was intended to be a technical, and not a philosophical, question. It's almost as though Microsoft decided for kicks to write it in Java.

I would hope everyone here on this message board knows by now that Microsoft is losing a lot of their dominance and control, and therefore relevance, in the technology world. The software subscription model is really little more than a last gasp kind of effort to remain competitive and economically viable.
Your humble Portreve.

Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

Windows 10 on modern hardware wins no awards for either remarkable design or remarkable performance. As someone who's been involved in the technology world full time since 1986, I've been around long enough to see all the major modern revolutions and advances in computer technology. I've either used or played with the Commodore 64, the Amiga, the Atari ST, the Macintosh from System 3.2/Finder 4.1 onwards (and prior versions which ran on a 128), every version of Windows from 3.0 on, etc. There absolutely was a time — and quite a long time, if we're being honest — where the state of the art in user interfaces for GNU+Linux were very subpar, amateur hour even, and at this point there's no way one can honestly say that Windows 10, from the perspective of just day to day using it, is better than, for example, Linux Mint running Cinnamon.

Particularly my recent and presently ongoing experiences with Windows 10 demonstrate, insofar as my experience and judgement are concerned, the level of maturity of software development, and certainly the user interface aspects of desktop environments, are as mature and robust as any commercial software project.

If I didn't have a need to deal professionally with Windows, I wouldn't waste my time on it.

There's only two reasons I can see why people use Windows at this point: ignorance, or as a system requirement for one or more programs they have to use.
Your humble Portreve.

MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:26 am
MurphCID wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:08 am
Portreve wrote:
Two things:

Well... what I meant by "What is Office 365?" was intended to be a technical, and not a philosophical, question. It's almost as though Microsoft decided for kicks to write it in Java.

I would hope everyone here on this message board knows by now that Microsoft is losing a lot of their dominance and control, and therefore relevance, in the technology world. The software subscription model is really little more than a last gasp kind of effort to remain competitive and economically viable.
Ah, sorry, I took it as a philosophical query. I agree Software as a service is the last gasp to get $$$ from us schlubs. I guess they thought that Java was cross platform, so they could make more money with it that way?
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Portreve wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:27 am
Windows 10 on modern hardware wins no awards for either remarkable design or remarkable performance. As someone who's been involved in the technology world full time since 1986, I've been around long enough to see all the major modern revolutions and advances in computer technology. I've either used or played with the Commodore 64, the Amiga, the Atari ST, the Macintosh from System 3.2/Finder 4.1 onwards (and prior versions which ran on a 128), every version of Windows from 3.0 on, etc. There absolutely was a time — and quite a long time, if we're being honest — where the state of the art in user interfaces for GNU+Linux were very subpar, amateur hour even, and at this point there's no way one can honestly say that Windows 10, from the perspective of just day to day using it, is better than, for example, Linux Mint running Cinnamon.

Particularly my recent and presently ongoing experiences with Windows 10 demonstrate, insofar as my experience and judgement are concerned, the level of maturity of software development, and certainly the user interface aspects of desktop environments, are as mature and robust as any commercial software project.

If I didn't have a need to deal professionally with Windows, I wouldn't waste my time on it.

There's only two reasons I can see why people use Windows at this point: ignorance, or as a system requirement for one or more programs they have to use.
Add inertia to your list. The computer that they buy from Best Buy has always come with windows.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

There's a new perpetual license build of MS Office coming next year, so the proper MS Office isn't quite dead yet.
“Today we are announcing that the next versions of Exchange Server, SharePoint Server, Skype for Business Server and Project Server will be available in the second half of 2021, and are only available with the purchase of a subscription license. Subscription entitles access to support, product updates, security and time zone patches,” Microsoft said.

“Microsoft Office will also see a new perpetual release for both Windows and Mac, in the second half of 2021. We will share additional details around the official names, pricing and availability of all these products later.”
source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... -p/1662224

Also I don't see Microsoft abandoning decades of NT kernel work and switching to linux any time soon for Windows.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor

Return to “Chat about Linux”