Linux based Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Linux based Windows

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Topics about the same subject merged, carry on. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
old_noob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by old_noob »

Think I sorta called it first, at least on this forum:

: Will Linux ever replace Windows market share?

Post by old_noob » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:53 pm
I think it's possible, because Microsoft doesn't really care about Windows anymore. They are rapidly becoming a cloud company and will soon only be interested in putting MS stuff in your browser, regardless of your OS. I could see them letting Windows slowly die off (some would say this is already happening). There will be a void and Linux can fill some of it. Of course Chromebooks will do the same. And MS might just ship Ubuntu with a M$ logo on it to the computer manufacturers. But I think Windows as we know it is going to go away sooner than most people think.
Portreve
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Portreve »

I can't speak with authority about the actual inner workings of Microsoft, or those actions which are more readily apparent to other industry leaders and partners and the (credible) tech journalist community, as those folks can, but what I am able to do is bring to bear a mix of common sense and a sense of multi-decadal history.

I keep hearing from those allegedly "in the know" that Microsoft's complete change-over of leadership has resulted in a change in their business strategy and tactics. I'm not so naïve as to seriously believe Microsoft is a 100% new creature, but if what they've said is true, Microsoft realizes things have changed, and they have to at least keep up if they want to remain in existence. That said, where once Microsoft had made it a point to try and destroy GNU+Linux, they have stopped doing that and are incorporating the platform overall, as well as the kernel itself, to various amounts and degrees within both their operation as well as their business plans. It's kind of hard to see all that's going on and not admit to at least that much.

Perhaps Microsoft will, as I mentioned up-thread, eventually switch out the NT Kernel for the Linux Kernel. Honestly, I would almost sort of expect that to happen, as things presently stand, because sooner or later they will need to revisit their kernel's design and contents, and it may legitimately be easier for them to simply add on those components needed to run the rest of their stuff than to either significantly iterate or completely redesign their kernel. Again, I'm not trying to say this is going to happen "next Tuesday" but I wouldn't be surprised if, in the next 2-5 years, that's what winds up happening. After all, Linux has been under perpetual worldwide development since, what... circa 1992 or so? That's an absolutely insane number of developer hours poured into the thing. There's no way in the world Microsoft can possibly be unaware of that. Likewise, I'm certain their folks have long since looked over the whole of the kernel and recognized it's got darned near anything anyone could want a kernel to have. I mean, there's more people working on Linux than there's probably ever been on NT Kernel. Moreover, they actively run it within their server operations. My point here simply is that any kind of analysis or feasibility study Microsoft could want to do on Linux they surely have by now.

On a somewhat more personal note, as someone who is now actively using both GNU+Linux (Linux Mint, specifically) and Windows 10, I always feel like I'm "coming home" when I boot up LM after a while of being in the Windows environment. It's so much tidier and neater and more professional feeling than Windows. Honestly, it feels a LOT like how Apple's Aqua would under those same circumstances. This leads me to believe it might tickle the fancy of others out there if they were exposed to it after having run Microsoft's never-ending cavalcade of user interfaces.
Your humble Portreve.

Recommended Keyboard Layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)
old_noob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by old_noob »

On a somewhat related note, Microsoft is now OEM of an Android device. Doesn't sound like a commitment to Windows to me.
JesseRBassett
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JesseRBassett »

As someone who used windows 10 for years, I just have recently transferred over to Mint 19.3. Due to my pc hardware I do not dare attempt to upgrade to mint 20 because my pc is a 32 bit machine. If Windows became based on Linux that would still not win me back to the Microsoft brand. Mint is amazing and the 32 bit version of Cinnamon 19.3 is perfect for my Acer Revo R3700.
Sincerely,
Jesse B.

Hp Compaq Pro 6200 I3 l 500gb HDD l 4gb DDR3 Ram l Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.10 Beta l

Return to “Chat about Linux”