Google intents to cripple Chromium

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RickyRaccoon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Google intents to cripple Chromium

Post by RickyRaccoon »

Well that's disappointing about Chromium, but TBH I hadn't used it much anyway, I think it's still on my 19.3 install but I never use it anymore. Nor do I use Chrome much- nor FF- because a) I find it slow and b) I don't like the Mozilla Foundation, to me they may as well be Google. I'll just keep using Brave- they haven't managed to tick me off- yet.
xenopeek wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:19 am Am I missing something — isn't sync support just online bookmarks backup?
bookmarks, passwords, extensions, themes... my Chromium mirrors my Chrome and vice-versa- or did when I used them regularly. But didn't Chromium lack some codecs or something? Some media wouldn't play on it or something, compared to Chrome? Which is one reason I'm using Brave now.. I used to like Opera, and it's still the fastest in my opinion, but, among other reasons, I got tired of Opera not having everything in its Linux version, and finding the occasional video that won't play (and most all live video it seems) gets old.
witzel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by witzel »

Google is doing a good thing for the open source community, less Google APIs = More privacy, less security holes, less proprietary stuff.

It's far from being an Ungoogled Chromium, but still, better than nothing...
Ninpodeshi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ninpodeshi »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:34 pm According to OMG! Ubuntu it's not just sync that's being removed but also API access for things like translation, spell checking and safe browsing. That last one would give me concern if there is no solution found.
Ugh. This is really bad.

I incorporate a lot of tech into my teaching. I work in a developing nation, not only do I need to keep the tech very easy to use, but it needs to be inexpensive or free. Google's Office and Classroom have been a great way to do that.

I'm done with MS Widows. My current machine will be my last with that monstrosity. This just makes it much more difficult for me to bridge the tech gap for students & parents.

Return to “Chat about Linux”