Google intents to cripple Chromium

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Google intents to cripple Chromium

Post by t42 »

Original discussion: Update on Google API usage in Chromium

Leading Linux Distros going to remove Chromium from their Official Repositories
Jochen Eisinger from Google team mentioned in a discussion thread that they will be banning sync support system of Chromium. This lead to lot of frustration in the Linux Dev community & rage against googles sudden decision.
This Decision can kill small browser projects & lead the web to single browser monopoly i.e. Google Chrome!

As a result of the googles decision multiple distros are strictly considering removal of Chromium from their official repositories. Leading distros like Arch Linux, Fedora, Debian, Slackware & OpenSUSE have stated that if the sync support goes down from google they will definitely remove chromium from their official repositories.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
-=t42=-
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Google intents to cripple Chromium

Post by xenopeek »

t42 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:30 am Leading distros like Arch Linux, Fedora, Debian, Slackware & OpenSUSE have stated that if the sync support goes down from google they will definitely remove chromium from their official repositories.
Am I missing something — isn't sync support just online bookmarks backup?

Why would that be a deciding feature whether to include the browser in repositories?

Some relevant answers from Jochen Eisinger (Director of Engineering at Google, working on Chrome since 2009) on the mailing list:
Jochen Eisinger wrote:This is not a security nor an infrastructure cost decision, but we're taking this action to ensure that the user of our internal APIs is in compliance with our policies.
Jochen Eisinger wrote:
Dirk Pranke wrote:There has been no change to the browser source code per se, and you can still build a perfectly functional browser, except that now it can't use Google/Chrome Sync.

We know this affects users on platforms where there isn't a supported version of Chrome, and probably other users as well.
Thanks, Dirk.

It sounds like this means two things for packagers:
- any high quality package will need to provide affected users with instructions for generating personal API keys. That way, Chromium's support for these features can still be useful, though it would require more fuss to make use of it. This makes the terms behind the API keys less murky, which seems valuable regardless (e.g., for users who plan to make use of their freedom to further modify the package they received from a distributor).
- we'll need to find a way to provide a reasonable experience for users who haven't done that yet, and to make this more discoverable.

We have a month and a half or so to work on it, which is not ideal but is better than it coming without warning.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:19 am Am I missing something — isn't sync support just online bookmarks backup?
Anyway I don't know if cited clarification calmed down such comments:
[arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Beyond Sync they haven't been very forward what else will stop working. Integrated login and geolocation may stop working.
I think necessity of --allow-browser-signin=false flag may be bad. Good Integration of Chromium into Google services will be crippled.
-=t42=-
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I too think those articles are a bit hyperbolic. But frankly I'm not sure why this is such a surprise. Ever since they dropped 32 bit chromium I've been expecting its support to go downhill.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:19 am Am I missing something — isn't sync support just online bookmarks backup?

Why would that be a deciding feature whether to include the browser in repositories?
I read the Google discussion thread linked to in this thread, and I don't see any explanation of why it should be an issue for Chromium to utilize sync. Something isn't an issue just because someone says it's an issue. Chromium is as much Google's baby as is Chrome. Its code is open and available to be seen by everyone. Google can look at the source of any distro's inclusion. They've got the manpower and technological resources to easily make this happen. Realistically, any single individual could probably use automation to verify the code, and any individual with appropriate developer experience could probably examine the different variances for each to see if they simply account for legitimate differences between distributions, or have something malevolent in them. So, honestly, what gives?

It's like Google's being a dick just for the sake of being a dick.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It's no major problem if they do these policy changes to me. If Mint drop chromium as a package over this like other distributions are considering, I'll just install Google Chrome, Vivaldi or MS Edge instead. I like the Blink engine so won't be switching to Firefox.

I rarely utilise Google sign in with Chromium but I do use their sync. features on my Android devices.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

According to OMG! Ubuntu it's not just sync that's being removed but also API access for things like translation, spell checking and safe browsing. That last one would give me concern if there is no solution found.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

So basically it will become ungoogled-chromium then which will actually please a lot of folk
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I never use Chrome or Chromium, so I don't give a 'damn' to quote Rhett Butler in a movie a 100 years ago.

As for Firefox, it is the ONLY browser that I consider worthwhile.
all the others are crippled in the way they handle bookmarks/Library.
Don't bother mentioning WaterFox, looked at it and no way.

Sync keeps my bookmarks, Add-ons, and New-tabs page.
Passwords are handled by LastPass.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

https://www.theregister.com/2021/01/25/ ... aintainer/
Fedora's Chromium maintainer suggests switching to Firefox as Google yanks features in favour of Chrome
'They're not closing a security hole, they're just requiring that everyone use Chrome'
Pretty much what you already know...
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

The problem with Firefox is the developers behind it constantly trying to add value and ruining it. It's become ridiculously slow to load even itself now let alone web pages to the point they are implementing a feature to 'skeleton' load it in Windows to stop people trying to load it again because it takes so long to open. Also, apparently adding rounded tabs is a brilliant new concept that must be shouted from the rooftops when in reality it's just copying chromium. When their developers are scrabbling around finding things to announce like that, it doesn't entice me back to their browser. Especially with all the added junk which causes it to be that slow in the first place. It used to have an advantage over other browsers of low resource usage. These days it's even more bloated and sluggish than Chromium used to be and I use that phrase based on the fact the roles are well and truly reversed in 2021 already without the removal of Google API pending.

The irony of Mozilla developers using Google Groups isn't lost on me either :lol:
On some systems, this can mean we can give visual
indication of Firefox launching as much as 15 seconds sooner than normal
No and I mean just no browser should take that long to open that it needs this feature added in the first place.
Last edited by antikythera on Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:30 pm I never use Chrome or Chromium, so I don't give a 'damn' to quote Rhett Butler in a movie a 100 years ago.
As for Firefox, it is the ONLY browser that I consider worthwhile.
I'm with you on that one, prefer Firefox ESR versions. I have Chromium, but only put it on last year for a bank access problem. Since that time, using an Agent Switcher and blocking CHASE from seeing I was using a Linux OS, which also turned into a problem with Chromium too, I've been able to access the bank site's login OK with Firefox. I find settings on Chromium to be less desirable in user ability, and prefer making adjustments in FF about:config than in chrome://about. I also consider the Bing search engine better than Google, especially since the latter seems concentrated on pushing some returns on searches more than others I might prefer, found pages later. My only complaint about FF is how they seem to constantly work to keep "tabs on top" when I'd prefer them on bottom, which makes more sense.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Spearmint2 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:33 amMy only complaint about FF is how they seem to constantly work to keep "tabs on top" when I'd prefer them on bottom, which makes more sense.
that is one Feature that I have never been able to accept, I want them on the Top.
Likewise, I hate Panels on the Top or Sides, just does not feel "right" to me.

Olde Codgers don't like change :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:30 pm As for Firefox, it is the ONLY browser that I consider worthwhile.
Sure. Keep believing that. :roll:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:30 pmAs for Firefox, it is the ONLY browser that I consider worthwhile.
Except Firefox doesn't always display a web page correctly or completely. Some times pictures or text lay on top of other text, another problem. I've got a web site that's got to be sorted at the moment, OK in all other browsers. The squares you put a mark into to select what you want to buy don't work or show in Firefox.

Otherwise I agree, Firefox is my browser of choice, especially as you can put a menu at the very top of the page.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

RollyShed wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:02 pm
AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:30 pmAs for Firefox, it is the ONLY browser that I consider worthwhile.
Except Firefox doesn't always display a web page correctly or completely. Some times pictures or text lay on top of other text, another problem. I've got a web site that's got to be sorted at the moment, OK in all other browsers. The squares you put a mark into to select what you want to buy don't work or show in Firefox.

Otherwise I agree, Firefox is my browser of choice, especially as you can put a menu at the very top of the page.
I see that on occasion, but not near enough to cause me to seek a much poorer performing browser.
for me, my opinion is the only one that counts in this house :mrgreen:

I have seen the naysayers on Firefox come and go, they get loud and boisterous, and then they fade away.
and I keep using Firefox without any of the issues they blather about.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:34 pm I have seen the naysayers on Firefox come and go, they get loud and boisterous, and then they fade away.
Same goes for users blathering on about chromium :wink:
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

What's Chromium? O wait a moment, I think I remember it now. Wasn't it some sort of Googleware from back in the dark ages?
Cliff Coggin
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

cliffcoggin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:55 pm What's Chromium? O wait a moment, I think I remember it now. Wasn't it some sort of Googleware from back in the dark ages?
I thought Chromium was an arcade style shooter with cool music. :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I have seen the naysayers on Firefox come and go, they get loud and boisterous, and then they fade away.
+1. My experience exactly. FF is very reliable and mine starts up very fast. Mine opens in less than 2 seconds, and probably less than 1 second.

Return to “Chat about Linux”