Which distro do you use as a daily driver?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Which distro do you use as a daily driver?

Post by majpooper »

I had been on Mint Cinnamon since ~early 2013. I have tried and tested probably hundreds of distros/display managers/windows managers/Desktop Environments not to mention file managers terminal emulators etc. and always come back to Cinnamon/lightdm/nemo/gome-terminal as my base. I switched to LMDE for a brief period and then went with Debian netinstl minimum CD which is just the base OS. I install Cinnamon (--no-install-recommends) and the rest.

However for under powered systems I run Bodhi linux (also Ubuntu based) - I tried and tested all the other supposedly light distros but Bodhi out performs them all. I have recently discovered how to install Bodie's DE (Moksha - very very light and nice - although I am not crazy about the default theme but there are several other really attractive Bodie themes available) right on Debian 11 netinstl minimum CD - add a few light apps like a browser, Abiword, network-manager etc. just the bare minimum make a few tweaks (https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/bodhi.html) and it can be quite snappy on a very old system with an under powered CPU and little RAM.
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

Being this is a Linux Mint support website, I use Mint 20.2 as my primary Operating System. I have tried others, Zorin, Ubuntu, Manjaro, etc. Not one had the features I need like Mint does. Plus Mint works right out of the box!
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I am trying MX Linux 21 XFCE on the old Darter Pro. So far it is working, but I am not a real fan of XFCE compared to Cinnamon. And it hard locked the system when I tried to post here. Perhaps I should have stayed on Manjaro? Yep, back to manjaro, MX locks up the system, and it acts odd. Yep went back to Manjaro yesterday for the old Darter Pro. It could be something in the almost pure Debian (no systemd), that is causing Coreboot to wig out on this laptop. So Manjaro Cinnamon went back to work.
BwingBob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BwingBob »

Linux Mint 20.2
Pop_OS! 22.04 {Dell Inspiron 15 5510}
Linux Mint Cinnamon 21 {Minisforum UM700}
Pop_OS! Thelio Mira ;-)
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo
Michael_Hathaway
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Michael_Hathaway »

I run LMDE4 on my business computers and 20.1/20.2 on my personal systems. I feel that 20.1 is a little more stable than 20.2. I may switch everything to LMDE4, but I will wait to see how 20.3 works.
Enterprise Dual Xeon 8081 (112) @3.8Ghz, 16TB NVMe Raid, 387Gb ECC, AMD Pro W7700 16Gb
Debian Support. Deb 12/13 Trixie 6.7.9
Samarian Sunset
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Samarian Sunset »

I use Linux Mint, probably not a surprise ...Specifically it's 19.3 Cinnamon. I won't upgrade to Mint 20x until 19.3 EOL. I'm happy with what I'm using!
cptnoblivious
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cptnoblivious »

Mint, Manjaro and MXLinux.
Jonathan_Steadman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jonathan_Steadman »

I use Arch Linux as it's very customizable and easy to install. But I also like Fedora and Linux Mint as they are great systems. So I somtimes use them on hardware or VM.

Also arch Linux is lightweight and can be installed on very old hardware.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

I use Linux Mint Xfce (always latest version). It's simple to setup.
And FUN to set up :-)
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Seax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Seax »

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

i only recently, the last two weeks, binned Windows in the house except for one machine that runs Fusion 360.

been playing with RPI's for a couple of years this led to me installing TrueNAS on both servers and once i built my shinny new Ryzen setup i was in a position to exclusively run Linux.
chose Mint because according to YT it would be best for me to start on.

love the software library... instead of hunting the net or paying through the nose to get something done its already here! and no anti-virus or de-fragging.

Win10 (apparently the latest and greatest) always had trouble accessing my Buffalo NAS, still does, no such trouble with Mint. Win10 still hangs opening network shares, didn't happen in Win7, no problem on Mint or any other device in the house except Windows.

due to playing with RPI's i'm used to using terminal which seems to scare a lot of (ex)windows users. i'm a jump in the deep end first type of person so i just installed Mint and opened YT on another monitor for vids to learn my way around. was a lot easier than i thought it would be.

i'm really blown away, i have had zero problems on Mint, still learning so i guess i will at some point. hate using Windows now, cant believe something this stable and polished is FREE, Linux just works!

Return to “Chat about Linux”