Which distro do you use as a daily driver?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Infamous 711
Level 1
Level 1

Which distro do you use as a daily driver?

Post by Infamous 711 »

Just wanted to know which distros you all use as a daily driver and why do you use it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GNULinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Which distro do you use as a daily driver?

Post by GNULinux »

well i use mint
it was the first distro that i liked
reason for liking mint:
1.Stability(though this means that at times i have to use old version of apps but that's fine, bcz i don't have time to troubleshoot it update cracks something)
2.Cinnamon doesn't cut your workflow(GNOME cuts workflow and i personaly don't like ubuntu bcz of gnome and its private nature and it doesnt work well on my device either)
3.Nice community & easy trouble shooting
4.Ability to customize(i will be honest here i don't like the default look of mint i prefer something like manjaro or mac more , so i just costomized mint to my taste and its fairly easy)
5.ability to support debian and ubuntu repositories(though it cant use arch user repository it still has pretty much evryapp you might need and if its not there adding a ppa or snap support if at all you need is not that difficult to get)
6.Works well on my machine atleast(though i fond some other linux like Boss linux and Manjaro also worked even faster on my machine i stick with mint because of stablity and community support apart from this currently i dont have time to distro hop unneccesarily as long as mint works fine on my machine)

its not neccessary for you to use mint
these are my personal opinions because everyones pc is different and evryones choice and taste are different so my like might be someones dislike

so in my suggestion if you are new to linux you should go with something based on debian or ubuntu because they are easy to use and work well enough
some arch based distros also are easy to use nowadays
and in general i wont suggest a biginner to use some LFS or original arch linux because there installation aand troubleshooting can be difficult for linux startters
if later on you wish to try them just try them , who knows what will catch your eye and needs

so in my suggestion as a biggener anything thats debian/ubuntu based and suits your taste and works fine on your mahchine should be good for you
if possible just try them in a virtual machine, and just find which distro works for you

& as a matter of precation neew linux users can easily face some issuses and thats normal so if you chose a well known and popular distro then there will be plently of resources on internet that will help you a lot to fix your day to day problems

in the end what matters is "Linux is linux"the only thing that differs are the default apps, default wallpapers default package manager and customization options,
if you have enough knowlege you can change nearly all of them, you wish too

So to be honest distros don't really matter :)

just make sure you dont mess up ur system
hp 250-G6 Notebook PC 15.6"
intel core i3-7020u 4GB DDR4 RAM 1TB Hard Disk (1.5 Yrs old)
Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa"
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

As this is the Linux Mint forum, what do you expect us to use as a daily driver? :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

ChauffeurOS 20.1 :?:

The person using the computer is the driver, the operating system is the engine management system.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Infamous 711
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Infamous 711 »

Pjotr wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:05 am As this is the Linux Mint forum, what do you expect us to use as a daily driver? :lol:
Yeah this was expected, but still. Was curious to know the people in this forum are still using Linux mint or chose another distro as a daily driver.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Serious answer as the the operating systems I use daily, OpenSUSE Leap and W10 in my offices, LMDE4 and W10 at home.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Mint. Duh!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Green leafy aromatic plant. i.e. Mint.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

We try to run a professional office here so the desktop distro we use is HMLinux. Here's a screenshot:
HMLinux.png
HMLinux.png (110.1 KiB) Viewed 8520 times

For home use I use Plan9 - well - that and Xubuntu:
Plan9OS.png
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:31 am Mint. Duh!
When did Mint get a new DE?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Infamous 711 wrote: ... use as a daily driver ...
LM 19.3 is what I use daily, either the Cinnamon or Xfce desktop dependant upon the hardware.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

Im using this operating system called linux. I dont know if anyone here has heard of it. Especially Linux Mint with the Mate desktop.

For my servers I use Debian Buster. Im afraid I am falling in love with debian. But do not worry, Linux Mint will always be my first and only real love.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
daemon101

Post by daemon101 »

To be honest, i used manjaro 20.1 a long time ago and now i am converted to linux mint xfce 20.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

coffee412 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:28 am Im using this operating system called linux. I dont know if anyone here has heard of it.
No, I haven't. I don't think there is an operating system called Linux. There is, on the other hand, an operating system called Linux Mint, and that's the one I use.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

There are 4 x86 computers in our home. Two run Mint. One (very old machine) crashes when running Mint but is OK with Fedora (???), so it runs Fedora. My wife refuses to consider anything but Windows in her office. I am her tech support; kinda sucks sometimes. And of course I have to use Windows at work.
I am addicted to distro hopping, so something else is often running but I always find my way back to Mint, for the stability and how everything works.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Infamous 711 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:58 am Just wanted to know which distros you all use as a daily driver and why do you use it.
-- Linux Mint Cinnamon
1. Reliability -- It's proven to be rock solid and stable for me.

2. Ease of Use -- It's the easiest/least learning curve transition away from Windows as I have found. The Cinnamon Menu works 95% the same as a Windows 7 start menu ( same OTB/stock keyboard hotkey), I can configure my panel just like I did on Windows 10, and the Windows snapping behavior in Cinnamon desktop is precisely the same as in Windows 10 ( same exact hotkey combo's also).

3. Eye candy?? -- It's reasonably attractive without being massively bloated and can be easily customized to my liking.

4. Improvement Evolution-- I've watched since late 2010 as the Mint team have consistently improved this distro as well as their Cinnamon desktop since 2011. Worst case, it has caught up to Windows, but in my opinion it has surpassed it overall.

5. Gaming -- I'm not sure about Arch based such as Arch or Manjaro, but I can play all of my windows games ( except Warcraft III Battle Chess Set retail 2 disc game set..still scratching my head on that one)

*** Update*** By renaming the Movies folder where Warcraft III was installed , thus basically preventing WINE from trying to auto play them as they are programmed to do at certain points in the campaign and thus fooling wine into thinking they aren't there or regardless preventing WINE from playing them....it stops Wine from crashing the game, and the game .just works...flawlessly . So...ALL of my games now work in Linux ******

in Mint Cinnamon and all of my other software I used in Windows spanning from XP all the way to and including 10 works - albeit took some googling and effort to get wine to run it, but it works- ..even games from 2002 like F1, and Madden 2003 now work where as in Windows 7 onward they either refused to work correctly and would crash, or wouldn't install at all; Prince of Persia Trilogy included too. So I'm actually able to play MORE games in Linux than I could in Windows without having to have a Windows xp separate installation booted up.

6. Maintenance -- Do you know when the last time I ran any antivirus scans, malware scans, or any disk cleanup or " optimize your ssd" software was? It was when I used Windows. I've yet to need to run anything like that at all since switching 100% to Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon. It's performance in every facet has been exactly the same ...since...day..one on my 40th birthday in Late July 2020. That's never been the case in Windows since the XP days and that only lasted barely 3 or 4 months tops before I started seeing some lag here and there ( and we're not talking filling up a storage drive either); which ties into my final point.

7. Performance -- Is Linux Mint Cinnamon the fastest distro/desktop environment combo you could run using a Linux-based operating system? Nope, but it's performance has been rock solid and consistently the same since day one.

Its like a damn Honda Civic or Toyota Camry 4 cylinder with a small turbo installed....plenty fast enough, rock solidly reliable, easy to work on but virtually no maintenance needed, doesn't use a crap ton of fuel to get you where you need to go, has plenty of room for a few people, and the performance will withstand the test of time. I absolutely love it.
Last edited by motoryzen on Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I use Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon, of course. There's another choice?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

jimallyn wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:47 am There's another choice?
Yeah, Hannah Montana Linux apparently :D
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

antikythera wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:42 am Yeah, Hannah Montana Linux apparently :D
:D
Did Miley Cyrus ever endorsed it?

Last edited by t42 on Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=t42=-
GlennJohnson
Level 2
Level 2

Post by GlennJohnson »

Fedora is my primary distribution.

Return to “Chat about Linux”