Curiosity: why do so many people only use Linux on old hardware?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Curiosity: why do so many people only use Linux on old hardware?

Post by MurphCID »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:41 am
Kev wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:37 am

I find it offensive (in this day and age of improving environmental awareness) that some extremely popular OSs and software manufacturers stop properly supporting perfectly capable hardware after a few years; that tends not to happen with Linux, which is one of many reasons that I favour it.
ala the new Win11 that is coming up, if the hardware is older than ~about 24 months, it is NOT compatible with the upgrade, and Win10 is going to be locked down, so you have to buy a new PC. :(

I had a big hearty laugh earlier this morning, I was running Win10 in VBox and was notified that the Upgrades could not be performed .... well, ain't that just too bad :mrgreen:
Yeah my Ryzen 1700 desktop system will not work under Windows 11. Wow. So I will stay on Windows 10 for now, and later take it to Linux. I'll keep the Mac for iTunes, and copy the library to Linux (it works, I just cannot download new music without iTunes and movies DO NOT work at all). I doubt my MSI gaming laptop will work either since it only has an i7-9750H. So the only computer in the house that can run Windows 11 would be...the System 76 systems! HAHAHAHAHAHA! I am saving my coin to get an updated desktop sometime before I retire next year. (I will transfer the drives from the current one to the new one...mostly) I am thinking possibly also of ditching the Darter Pro to my Bro-in-law.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Well for me it runs both ways - I actually do not use Linux exclusively on "old" hardware. I actually started using linux (SuSe) about 10 years ago on quite new hardware and have ever since regardless of the age of the hardware. Just a few months ago someone that I support with linux bought a brand new laptop to replace their old Mint laptop and wanted me to install Mint on it out of the box - I don't think we even booted up Windows 10 once.

On the other hand most of the folks I support (was 8 now down to 6) were having issues with Windows or just had older computers that slowed down and in a few cases could not afford a new computer. In on case I installed Mint on a few years old MAC Desktop (forget the model but Big and powerful) that a Medical Doctor ditched and gave to a friend of a friend for me to "fix" and give to a Middle Schooler for school. There was nothing really wrong with it that I could tell - he didn't even wipe it :roll: but he wanted the latest and greatest MAC laptop.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Most old Windows 7 desktops will run most Linux distros without a problem.

Perhaps you already have a computer that is capable of running Linux.

Perhaps you're an old skin flint and don't want to spend the money.

Perhaps you're poor and can't afford a new computer.

:wink:
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

Most old Windows XP desktops will run many Linux distributions without a problem.

A few years back, Linux Mint made me a "hero" to many elderly folks when I replaced their virus ridden XP.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Age? My notebook is this month and my desktop is last century. Linux does not care.

I had to use Windows 8 for a 12 month university controlled project. We had to upgrade to Windows 10 because some of the Microsoft applications we had to run on Windows suddenly stopped working on Windows 8. After the upgrade to Windows 10, some of the Microsoft applications suddenly stopped working on Windows 10 and we had to upgrade to new releases of all those applications. Those new releases refused to install on a system that had the old versions of the software that was still working on Windows 10. When the project ran to an end, there were still compatibility problems.

The same with cars. Tesla frequently updates the software on their cars but people still die from Autopilot and the batteries continue to burn down houses. None of the ten year old electric cars have those problems. Why would you change?

Return to “Chat about Linux”