Have you installed wine?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Have you installed wine?

Yes
84%
No
16%

Total votes: 138

mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Have you installed wine?

Post by mshmm »

Several times over the years. My current Wine installation is in a Xubuntu 20.04 virtual machine.

Bottoms up 🍷
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

We will assume that PlayOnLinux installation counts as a Wine installation.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

YEP - - the Commercial Version, actually.
:)
it works well on the few programs, that I'm interested in.
https://www.codeweavers.com/
some others have found that the Play on Linux works well,
https://playonlinux.com/
for their windows programs, as well.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Apart from needing a VirtualBox VM to update my car GPS maps, I am 100% Windows free. I can't ever imagine tainting and blemishing my beautiful Linux with such a horribly destructive plague.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

After years of resistance - Yes.

The trigger was a very small Sony camera with a Zeiss lens. The thing actually takes very good photos, but without editing they are veiled and kind of dull.
GIMP or Photoshop will fix that, but very cumbersome.
Faststone - my all-time favorite under Windows - does this with a single light-to-shadow slider and adding a bit of contrast, as if it were specially designed for this camera. And is otherwise just damn clever.
With ShiftN by Markus Hebel (thanks) - you can easily correct perspective distortions. The program is just good. I've also used it with WineBottler on Mac OSX.

And now I just use these applications under Linux - Play On Linux is responsible for the installation.

Unfortunately, the developers of these programs don't have any kind of sensors for Linux ...
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Have you tried darktable?
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

In the last few days I have installed two new LM20.1 and Wine is one of the first things I installed and it went without any problem.

Yesterday evening I installed a third LM20.1 and today I installed WINE and it went OK but I cannot get Wine to install Irfanview which went smoothly in the two previous cases. Go figure. (ETA.: A cup of coffee and waking up did the trick. PWBKAC)
Last edited by GS3 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

MartyMint wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:50 pm Have you tried darktable?
Darktable is certainly a good application, but on my laptop with a 13.9" monitor ...

BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I installed Wine and PlayOnLinux when I first moved to Linux, but I have been Windows Free for nearly three years. I do have a broken Win7 vm and a dual-boot system with Win10 and CentOS, but I hardly ever use them. The last time I booted to Windows was to open a PDF that would only open with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:13 am
MartyMint wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:50 pm Have you tried darktable?
Darktable is certainly a good application, but on my laptop with a 13.9" monitor ...
Have you tried running it in Full Screen mode? Launch darktable and then press F11.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Much better ... Thanks!

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

No way I'll ever install Wine (or its siblings like PlayOnLinux) again, because it's a big security risk:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/wine.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

There is a reason i still use Windows (7).

Linux is for 'security' (so anything that goes online). Windows is for games (and photoshop/other specific windows only things). So that would be a 'no' from me.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

absque fenestris wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:01 am Much better ... Thanks!
You should be able regain even more space by removing the Top panel by pressing Ctrl+Shift+t or clicking the triangle in the middle of the top edge of the window. You can also remove the Bottom and Filmstrip/Timeline Panels by pressing Ctrl+Shift+b or clicking its triangle.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I'm using PlayOnLinux to play some old Windows XP era games that will not run with hardware acceleration on Windows 7 or above any longer. It's to do with GPU driver changes and affects both integrated and discrete GPU from all brands. There are modified versions of the game executables on github that some fan of the games made themselves but I'd rather not go down that route. I'd rather use the genuine article off optical media.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

I use Wine, but I have restricted its access rights. No Z drive with access to the / path, no desktop integration, no access to any home direcory files (e.g. music, documents) outside the Wine directory, no access to removable media such as USB sticks, no network or internet access. Transferring data to and from Wine works by copying stuff into and from the Wine directory.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Wine is pretty locked down out-of-the-box...he have to go out of your way to give executables write access where they're not supposed to.
It's not going to do anything "under your nose". I've never had anything "blow up" in 18 years of running Wine applications.
Drugwash
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Drugwash »

If Wine didn't exist I'd probably still be tweaking the heck out of my old Win98SE, or at most a WinXP on steroids if there is any (beyond the unofficial SP4 that I already had installed on that machine) instead of fighting with Mint (and all other distros tested in VBox).

Thing is, apart from a few third-party applications that from several points of view have no match whatsoever in the Linux world (that I could find yet), there are my own "toys" that I had written years ago precisely because there were none even in the Windows world. So the easiest path was to use what I had already worked on, and what I already was accustomed with (FastStone Image Viewer has already been mentioned above) when repeated searches came up empty handed or with lame - or overcomplicated and unintuitive - results.
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

Yes, I have it installed on both my Mint systems. I use it to play retro games like FullTilt Pinball and The Incredible Machine.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

While I don't have it installed at the moment, I have in the past whenever I've wanted to install a really old-school game, in particular Diablo or Diablo II.

Honestly, if I needed a commercial program again for some reason, it would almost certainly be a Mac OS X- environment app, not a Windows one, so except for Diablo, Wine is mostly useless.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Chat about Linux”