What Linux skills are most gamechanging/worth learning?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Morgan Krieg
Level 2
Level 2

What Linux skills are most gamechanging/worth learning?

Post by Morgan Krieg »

What would you recommend learning?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: What Linux skills are most gamechanging/worth learning?

Post by Moem »

That fully depends on what it is you want to use Linux for. There is no universal 'gamechanging' because we are not all playing the same 'game'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Just How to use this new Linux System.
:)

it's different in some ways, from what you've doing with some of the other Operating System,
that do dominate the Computer Scene, at most times.
and quite similar, in may other ways, as well.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Morgan Krieg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Morgan Krieg »

Moem wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:56 amThat fully depends on what it is you want to use Linux for. There is no universal 'gamechanging' because we are not all playing the same 'game'.
For a home user.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

All home users are different. For me, it's very worthwhile to learn to use GIMP; your user case will probably be different.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CarrotCake »

I think the most gamechanging is not so much in a skill, but in an attitude.
That attitude being, about accepting you will need to learn how to do things, you may experience assume frustration and you may need some help sometimes.

If you accept that the system may be different than you are used to (coming from Windows or Mac), you will learn the skills you personally need quickly enough.
Running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon on a Lenovo Ideapad 16ACH6
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

What is your skill level now? and go from there. Do you know a little about linux? if so build on that knowledge. If not start with one of the many free learn linux web pages around. But as others have said you need to determine what you want to do with linux and go from there. The field is vast.
Good luck in your search. As far as game changing I think you'll never go wrong learning the terminal.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Morgan Krieg wrote: What would you recommend learning?
For me it was having a proper backup regimen, because I learned about Linux most by breaking it. :)

Another game-changer for me was learning to use the command line. That said, I don't think anyone has to learn commands to have a satisfying Linux experience.

But if interested, I can recommend LinuxCommand.org, as well as its companion The Linux Command Line book (it's available for free as a PDF). Both are quite educational.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

The most game-changing thing about GNU+Linux in general is the mindset it has towards empowerment through encouraging people to have and maintain a software-level commons.

I'm not sure what kind of user skill would be "changed" through using free software.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

JoeFootball wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:17 am For me it was having a proper backup regimen, because I learned about Linux most by breaking it. :)
+1 so true! That's, I suspect, how most of us have learnt.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I think the most important thing is actually reading documentation. Many don't really.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

JoeFootball wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:17 am
Morgan Krieg wrote: What would you recommend learning?
For me it was having a proper backup regimen, because I learned about Linux most by breaking it. :)...
I agree about developing a proper backup regimen, and not just because we break it a lot. "Stuff" can happen due to no fault of our own and having our data properly backed up will reasonably ensure we won't lose it when (not if) things go sideways. Having the OS and programs backed up will help make restoring a wonky computer to its previous state much easier and faster.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

Morgan Krieg wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:10 am What would you recommend learning?
Good question.
Moem wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:56 am That fully depends on what it is you want to use Linux for. There is no universal 'gamechanging' because we are not all playing the same 'game'.
Good point.
it's very worthwhile to learn to use GIMP
Good example.

I'll list a couple of "my opinions", and reasons.

1) Gimp, so one can get away from PS and it's hefty costs. (I've never used PS)
2) Libre Office, so one can get away from MS office (just read a thread, someone trying to get MSoffice2010 running in WINE, looks painful, and convoluted)
3) VirtualBox, when one wants to experiment / try something new, do it on a virtual machine, no need to "break" your actual machine. You don't even need a full installed VM, you can just boot a fresh .iso if you like.
4) rsync, (command) Especially if you have more than one linux machine. It's so easy to move files back and forth between them (one line command). And for other purposes too, like backup.

While the first three are not exclusive to Linux, they are typically not seen (first two esp.) on the other OS.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
tuxoneseven

Post by tuxoneseven »

Morgan Krieg wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:10 am What would you recommend learning?
Linux is mostly used for server side things. I recommend learning how to configure servers, all the terminal commands and stuff like docker and virtual box. We are still waiting for years of the Linux desktop :lol:
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Moem wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:56 am That fully depends on what it is you want to use Linux for. There is no universal 'gamechanging' because we are not all playing the same 'game'.
+1 Exactly - this is such an open ended question. What is it you want to do with linux? That is the real question - then go learn how to do it.

Return to “Chat about Linux”