Coming soon: USB-C Linux support for Radeon graphics

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Coming soon: USB-C Linux support for Radeon graphics

Post by Moonstone Man »

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... B-C-Driver

Written by Michael Larabel in Radeon on 22 March 2021 at 04:49 PM EDT.
RADEON --
With some Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards sporting a USB-C interface for USB-C monitors or VR headsets, AMD has been working on the open-source Linux driver support for this interface.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Coming soon: USB-C Linux support for Radeon graphics

Post by antikythera »

Also coming soon, full Wayland Support by NVIDIA proprietary blobs according to Fedora Project. They've been working with NVIDIA to get Wayland working properly with their proprietary blobs. These Wayland compatible drivers will be released this Summer, a bit too late for Fedora 34 but ready for Fedora 35 coming later this year. The reason Fedora are pushing NVIDIA is they intend to make Wayland the default Compositor for the entire Project output (other spins as well as the main Workstation ISO) and drop X11.

Should benefit all distributions though including Mint. Cinnamon on Wayland? Yes please :D
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I don't care.

Actually, I do care inasmuch as it's good to have choice for end users. Unfortunately, my present rig did not allow for any dedicated graphics card which is worth getting because I cannot upgrade my PSU to support them. At some future point, I might seriously consider building a new tower, at which point I'll at least entertain the possibility of going with Nvidia, though no guarantees. That said, why should I go with Nvidia and put up with their ongoing attitudes when ATI graphic cards are probably the better option in GNU+Linux anyhow.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

NVIDIA have changed their attitude since that famous Linus Torvalds incident. The fact they are actively working with Fedora Developers to support Wayland properly is an example of this. Another the excellent CUDA support for opencl and vulkan that they have already added to their drivers.

I guess the ultimate step will be to make contributions to the nouveau driver by way of releasing up to date blobs as opensource instead of the nouveau team still having to reverse engineer their way through.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.

Return to “Chat about Linux”