VI(M)-EMACS-Nano-Xed and others which one?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

VI(M)-EMACS-Nano-Xed and others which one?

Post by MurphCID »

I have noticed that there are a lot of text editors out there. Nano seems to come with most flavors of Ubuntu/Mint maybe Debian. I like it since it reminds me of Wordstar. However Xed is pretty nice as well and is graphical to boot. Emacs is just too odd for me, I know it is ultra powerful, but at what though? VI(m) is one of those programs that you wonder what they were thinking, in that you have to change modes. So if you are going to code or even just text edit stuff which one do you use?

I find myself using either XED or Nano for minor text editing issues, nothing more powerful. So what is the board's consensus on Text editors?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: VI(M)-EMACS-Nano-Xed and others which one?

Post by JoeFootball »

MurphCID wrote: VI(m) is one of those programs that you wonder what they were thinking ...
I thought the same, until I witnessed someone truly proficient with vim at work. In the hands of those so skilled, it's quite impressive.
MurphCID wrote: So what is the board's consensus on Text editors?
A text editor consensus? :lol: Speaking for myself, I use nano, xed (or whatever the default editor at hand is), or Geany (which is technically an IDE, but it's so light, if I have it up, it's my go-to).
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I will take your word for it, but it still seems odd to have two modes to do anything. So 1970’s.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

MurphCID wrote: So 1970’s.
Given its origins of that era, you're correct. :) But it's the ability to switch to this command mode which makes it so powerful in the hands of an expert. And I concede that I am not one.

I'm college, I was dismissive of vi, until I saw it being used proper. When I did, I was thinking, "Why would you ever... I don't see... If... But... You... Oh."
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

JoeFootball wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:17 am
MurphCID wrote: So 1970’s.
Given its origins of that era, you're correct. :) But it's the ability to switch to this command mode which makes it so powerful in the hands of an expert. And I concede that I am not one.

I'm college, I was dismissive of vi, until I saw it being used proper. When I did, I was thinking, "Why would you ever... I don't see... If... But... You... Oh."
Point, I just have never had to use it, or seem anyone using it.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

MurphCID wrote: Point, I just have never had to use it, or seem anyone using it.
And thus, you are quite understandably as I was. Why anyone in their right mind would use such arcane and clumsy methods, when nano and others are readily available. :)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

JoeFootball wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:31 am
MurphCID wrote: Point, I just have never had to use it, or seem anyone using it.
And thus, you are quite understandably as I was. Why anyone in their right mind would use such arcane and clumsy methods, when nano and others are readily available. :)
Agreed, Nano seems (at least to me) to be able to do anything that VI(M) does, and with less mental gymnastics. I am still somewhat afraid of the power of EMACS since I am concerned that I might create the next HAL 9000 accidentally using it.... :)
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

Kate is as simple or as versatile as you want it to be. I use it since Kate appimage allows not to pull of all the kde stuff.
konsole.jpg
-=t42=-
bertradio
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bertradio »

Definitely check out Geany. It's very powerful and fast. I use it mostly for quick edits of text files but when I need more features and power they are there.

Geany has one feature I really like: you can customize the insert date function to get it in the format you want. I use a text file to track changes in my system. I have assigned insert date to a key (F7) and it's very convenient for logging. So if I hit F7 I get "Sat 04/03/21 - 08:46: Linux - "
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I don't think programs such as emacs or vi should be grouped together with programs like nano, etc. They are really intended for producing things far beyond mere basic text editing chores.

When I do an initial setup of LM, I follow Pjotr's instructions using nano. If I'm doing terminal things, it yields the fastest and most efficiently integrated workflow product, period. If I otherwise have need to use a text editor, which in my case would strictly be within the confines of the GUI, I use the one supplied with LM, for the same kind of reason I use nano. And in the case of the LM Text Editor program, it combines exactly those word processor functions I need with a very clean text editing program.

If I want formatting in my text document, I'll happily use LO Writer.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:17 pmVI(m) is one of those programs that you wonder what they were thinking, in that you have to change modes.
Wonder no longer. vi was originally made to run on minimal consoles with no GUI. It's my main editor.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

You will never reach a consensus on this one. Why do you think there are so many? :D Since I use my text editor a lot for coding, I actually go with Sublime. It's always been super stable and fast.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

JosephM wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:03 pm You will never reach a consensus on this one. Why do you think there are so many? :D Since I use my text editor a lot for coding, I actually go with Sublime. It's always been super stable and fast.
MurphCID wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:17 pm So if you are going to code or even just text edit stuff which one do you use?
The problem here is I think we're all talking past each other.

Using a text editor to edit text isn't the same thing as using a text editor to write code, and so conflating these two things leads to misleading responses and answers.

If I were into writing code, it is unlikely I'd use nano for that purpose, even if I would still use it for doing just straight-up text editing. It is far more likely that I would use either emacs or vi or, in principle, another similar program.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Writing code, I'd want an IDE, halfway house, bluefish, most of the time just xed. Did used to use gedit and then decided I preferred xed.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

Emacs + EXWM = the only way to go.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

For me, Xed, or Nano is are the best. I don't do any coding, or serious work, so the basic text editors work for me.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Post by mikeflan »

90% - xed
Open a small side window just for separate viewing - gedit
Coding - Geany
Another coding alternative I don't use much - Atom
Big files - Leafpad
Not too bad, but I don't use it - jedit
Vim - I tried, but too hard for what I want
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Is there a handy VI(M) guide on the keyboard commands usable by a complete noob?
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:50 pm Is there a handy VI(M) guide on the keyboard commands usable by a complete noob?
Vim Cheat Sheet
Vim cheatsheet
Last edited by t42 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=t42=-
dottomato
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dottomato »

I installed mint recently and I am fine with writing some stuff in Xed, I write my markdown notes in it. I don't claim to be a power-vim user but I have mostly opened it to write some dirty code and test it. I have never used emacs in my life till now so I can't say anything about it. And I prefer working with VSCode whenever I do some projects (don't want to spend endless time configuring vim :|)

Return to “Chat about Linux”