Exa in place of 'LS' or NEMO

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Exa in place of 'LS' or NEMO

Post by AZgl1800 »

I subscribe to a newsletter that mentioned 'Exa' being used instead of ls

after reading through it a bit, I thought " NEMO sure looks a lot easier to use " to me.

Anyone here using Exa?
If so, why are you using it, and does it replace NEMO for you?

I am, of course, comparing Exa to Cinnamon which uses NEMO, and I have been using only Cinnamon since LM17.
LM19 is my current Daily Driver, LM 20 is on a spare laptop so I can look at it, but not using it.

https://opensource.com/article/21/3/replace-ls-exa
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Exa in place of 'LS' or NEMO

Post by karlchen »

ls is a terminal command. So is exa, exa is named an ls replacement in the linked blog article.
Neither ls, nor exa can replace a graphical file-manager like Nemo, Caja or Thunar. Different scope of usage and different scope of available features.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

exa does indeed look like a nice program but I'm just not that interested. Why do Linux devs have to reinvent the wheel so much? Well, I know the answer to that really, it's a lot more fun than software maintenance.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I wonder if there is more than one exa? When I type man exa I get something that does not appear to be a replacement for ls.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

mikeflan wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:14 am I wonder if there is more than one exa? When I type man exa I get something that does not appear to be a replacement for ls.
Hoser Rob » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:28 am
exa does indeed look like a nice program but I'm just not that interested. Why do Linux devs have to reinvent the wheel so much? Well, I know the answer to that really, it's a lot more fun than software maintenance.
I agree, NEMO does a great job, why mess with something that is strictly in Terminal??

I have no clue,I got this when just trying to just 'run it'

Code: Select all

exa

Command 'exa' not found, did you mean:

command 'exp' from deb alliance
  command 'eja' from deb eja
  command 'ex' from deb vim
  command 'ex' from deb vim-gtk3
  command 'ex' from deb vim-tiny
  command 'ex' from deb neovim
  command 'ex' from deb nvi
  command 'ex' from deb vim-athena
  command 'ex' from deb vim-gtk
  command 'ex' from deb vim-nox
  command 'xa' from deb xa65
  command 'efa' from deb libtravel-routing-de-vrr-perl

Try: sudo apt install <deb name>
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Chat about Linux”