Drop Ubuntu Before It's Too Late!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jon Spoonamore
Level 1
Level 1

Drop Ubuntu Before It's Too Late!

Post by Jon Spoonamore »

With all of the past employee and company-goal changes Canonical has made in the past few years... We have all watched in horror as Big Corporation and Microsoft has changed Ubuntu and the Linux Community in general (and not for the better IMO). There is way too much non-FOSS ideology creeping into and taking over the Linux Landscape.

This is scary to me!!! Martin Wimpress quit as head of the Ubuntu Mate Project several months ago. And now.... Alan Pope is quitting!!!! Both long-time supporters of Ubuntu. When Linux Supporters like Wimpy and Alan "Jump Ship", it's time to reevaluate Ubuntu!!!

TO ANYONE WHO IS READYING THIS...... I feel Ubuntu's days are numbered, as they exist now, in the Linux Community. IMO.... Microsoft is getting ready to officially morph Ubuntu/Canonical into their liking. Ubuntu/Canonical has been a headache to the Linux Mint Community and Developers for several years and I think it's time for Linux Mint to finally drop Ubuntu and embrace Debian 100% from now on. The Canonical/Ubuntu Headaches are only going to get larger!!!!

What do you guys think???? It's time for a Debian-Based Linux Mint to become the new Linux Desktop Standard!!! Linux Mint still cares about their User-Base. Something that Canonical/Ubuntu has not done in almost a decade.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Drop Ubuntu Before It's Too Late!!!

Post by Pierre »

for any type of response, to be made:
- - there does need to be an URL to the Information Source - -
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Jon Spoonamore
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jon Spoonamore »

Pierre wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:36 pm for any type of response, to be made:
I'd be glad to research every URL you want. It might take me a while. This stuff goes back years.

URL #1: Alan Pope
https://twitter.com/popey/status/138013 ... 63848?s=20
Jon Spoonamore
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jon Spoonamore »

Jon Spoonamore wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:55 pm
I'd be glad to research every URL you want. It might take me a while. This stuff goes back years.
URL #2: Martin Wimpress
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/02/mar ... -canonical
Last edited by Moem on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote. Make sure to always use both an opening tag [quote] and a closing tag [/quote], enclosing the quote.
Jon Spoonamore
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jon Spoonamore »

Jon Spoonamore wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:55 pm
URL #3: One of Many Employee Changes @ Ubuntu/Canonical
https://www.techradar.com/news/what-hap ... -canonical
Last edited by Moem on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote. Make sure to always use both an opening tag [quote] and a closing tag [/quote], enclosing the quote.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Jon Spoonamore wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:55 pm URL #1: Alan Pope
https://twitter.com/popey/status/138013 ... 63848?s=20
Making your point by simply posting links is ... pointless. You need to state what you take away from each of those pages because only a crazy person would think that every other reader will come away with the very same ideas.

Lift your game.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Jon Spoonamore wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 pm
This is scary to me!!!
I agree---but only regarding KM's daily avatar :twisted:
I also ponder Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/users
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

all41 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:32 am
This is scary to me!!!
I agree---but only regarding KM's daily avatar :twisted:
I also ponder Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/users
I look forward to the scary Avatars that KM shows up with, I do believe that he changes them to make them correlate to an 'off the wall" poster who makes unbased comments :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

AZgl1500 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:36 am I look forward to the scary Avatars that KM shows up with, I do believe that he changes them to make them correlate to an 'off the wall" poster who makes unbased comments :mrgreen:
lol
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Drop Ubuntu Before It's Too Late!

Post by cliffcoggin »

TO ANYONE WHO IS READYING THIS......
Be a good chap and please stop shouting. We are not deaf.
What do you guys think???? It's time for a Debian-Based Linux Mint to become the new Linux Desktop Standard!!! Linux Mint still cares about their User-Base. Something that Canonical/Ubuntu has not done in almost a decade.
LMDE already exists and has done for some years.
Cliff Coggin
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hm. Must be a full moon again.
Naaah...Looking at the "joined in" dates from last couple of posters referring to the "sky is falling"...It looks to be another infrequent forum member who are just now rejoining us in the "fray"...lol...DAMIEN
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Jon Spoonamore wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 pm With all of the past employee and company-goal changes Canonical has made in the past few years... We have all watched in horror as Big Corporation and Microsoft has changed Ubuntu and the Linux Community in general (and not for the better IMO). There is way too much non-FOSS ideology creeping into and taking over the Linux Landscape.

This is scary to me!!! Martin Wimpress quit as head of the Ubuntu Mate Project several months ago. And now.... Alan Pope is quitting!!!! Both long-time supporters of Ubuntu. When Linux Supporters like Wimpy and Alan "Jump Ship", it's time to reevaluate Ubuntu!!!

TO ANYONE WHO IS READYING THIS...... I feel Ubuntu's days are numbered, as they exist now, in the Linux Community. IMO.... Microsoft is getting ready to officially morph Ubuntu/Canonical into their liking. Ubuntu/Canonical has been a headache to the Linux Mint Community and Developers for several years and I think it's time for Linux Mint to finally drop Ubuntu and embrace Debian 100% from now on. The Canonical/Ubuntu Headaches are only going to get larger!!!!

I prefer more specific, verifiable evidence before making really rash decisions like that.

FWIW, LMDE exists specifically as a way for Clem & Co. to leave Ubuntu if it becomes necessary. This is a far more public — to say nothing of official — thing than Apple's secret lab of the very late 1990s/early 2000s, which had been busily taking every single release and every single update of Mac OS X and porting it to run on x86-64 "in case" Apple should decide it needed to switch from the PowerPC platform. In their case, it became necessary and totally panned out. In Linux Mint's case, we've obviously not yet reached a point which Clem thinks it has become necessary.

As I take Clem and his folks as highly knowledgeable, seasoned, and experienced, I trust him to make the right decision. I'm not now and never have been a "fan" of Microsoft. If you'll pardon the expression, "I hated Microsoft before it was cool." I still have little use for that company or the business practices thereof. That said, it's MS, Google, IBM, and a bunch of other big businesses, and some small and some medium-sized businesses, which are donating financially, or directly providing development efforts for, GNU+Linux and the libre software movement generally. This isn't — and has not been — someone's garage project in a very, very long time, so let's not lose sight of that.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Portreve wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:49 pm ...I prefer more specific, verifiable evidence before making really rash decisions like that... As I take Clem and his folks as highly knowledgeable, seasoned, and experienced, I trust him to make the right decision. I'm not now and never have been a "fan" of Microsoft. If you'll pardon the expression, "I hated Microsoft before it was cool." I still have little use for that company or the business practices thereof. That said, it's MS, Google, IBM, and a bunch of other big businesses, and some small and some medium-sized businesses, which are donating financially, or directly providing development efforts for, GNU+Linux and the libre software movement generally. This isn't — and has not been — someone's garage project in a very, very long time, so let's not lose sight of that.
What he said!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

ditto!!!
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Throw this on the pile of know-nothing hot-headed noobs demanding a Linux Bastille Day.
I suspect they either scurry back under the Windows rock at their first kernel panic....or they find some other Linux community to irritate.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:16 pm
Jon Spoonamore wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:10 pm TO ANYONE WHO IS READYING THIS......
Hm. Must be a full moon again.
A full cycle of the moon's phases is also typically the lifespan of these accounts too....
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Well as long as all my stuff works the same in LMDE whatever version as it does currently in LM 20.1 Cinnamon...Then cool, I'm down with going LMDE. Otherwise, I don't know what I'll do .
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tolayon »

I wouldn't be quite that hysterical and apocalyptic regarding Ubuntu. Yes, the recent developments are pretty concerning, but on the bright side, as far as I know no further applications after Chromium have been forced to Snap-only versions (I may stand corrected, but haven't heard any bad news in that direction lately).

That being said, I still find LMDE an awesome project, since it shows awareness and will to be prepared for the worst. As far as I know no other of the major Ubuntu forks has a "Plan B" similar to the Mint team.
But what would, for instance, Pop!_OS be based on if Ubuntu should somehow become unsustainable as a forkable source? Propably on Arch and competing with a whole bunch of already existing forks of that branch ...
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Tolayon wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:07 pm as far as I know no further applications after Chromium have been forced to Snap-only versions
I'm not current on what's happening over there, but lately I've seen users here with the snap version of PulseAudio installed. Uninstalling the snap version has corrected sound issues in every case I've seen so far. I can only guess that having snaps enabled and (re)installing PulseAudio causes the snap version of PulseAudio to be installed similar to what they did with Chromium. That is entirely a guess though. Could easily have been user error.
JlTb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JlTb »

MrEen wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:48 pm
Tolayon wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:07 pm as far as I know no further applications after Chromium have been forced to Snap-only versions
I'm not current on what's happening over there, but lately I've seen users here with the snap version of PulseAudio installed. Uninstalling the snap version has corrected sound issues in every case I've seen so far. I can only guess that having snaps enabled and (re)installing PulseAudio causes the snap version of PulseAudio to be installed similar to what they did with Chromium. That is entirely a guess though. Could easily have been user error.
Wait pulseaudio has a snap version and does this issue also affect Ubuntu beacuse the Ubuntu installed on my desktop is having an issue with sound example no system sounds on gnome and playing audio files(mp3 files) sounds bad. (if you see bad English sorry I'm sleepy and English is not my first language)

Return to “Chat about Linux”