Advice on Server for Education and Home Use...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Advice on Server for Education and Home Use...

Post by Portreve »

I want to start by saying it's not that I've never set up a server before and it's not that I've never done network file sharing before.

In the course of working my way (slowly, painfully, inexorably) through Network+ education, and also (eventually) Linux+ training, I want to set up a server so that I can get more involved in both the network-related tasks and also GNU+Linux-specific tasks.

So...

I would like to set up a small form factor (really, a "mini PC" form factor) server in my home. I already have a place for it to go which had been set up a long time ago for a couple servers (actually repurposed Macintosh desktops) I used to have, one after the other. So, I'll be connecting it to my cable modem/router, and I've already got a UPS up there, and I'll probably get an external HDD to hang off of it. I don't really care about any sort of redundancy because I've already got my data backed up redundantly. I'm not opposed to (eventually) getting a RAID unit so I can learn about that, too.

I'm looking for feedback on what hardware is recommended. I'm looking at stuff on Amazon. I'd also like to keep the cost to between $100 and $300. I don't imagine my needs would require anything especially expensive. After all, it's not like I'm trying to set up a server farm, or do any super-duper high end processing.

Does anyone here have opinions (well, now there's a stupid question: everyone on LMF has opinions! :lol: ) on for example Terryza or AcePC units? Or Beelink?

Thanks so much in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Advice on Server for Education and Home Use...

Post by Moonstone Man »

Portreve wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 am Does anyone here have opinions...
Hardware wise, almost anything will do. It just needs to be able to run Linux.

Seeing as you're learning, you might like to look at this for a project.

Return to “Chat about Linux”