Running Linux apps on Android

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sneakyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Running Linux apps on Android

Post by sneakyfox »

Newbie question here:

I have seen a lot of talk about running android apps on linux distros, but what about the other way around?

Is there some kind of emulator that I could run on an android system that could make it "plug and play"? Or does one need to build the apps from source -- and how difficult would that be for someone who can follow a set of detailed instructions but would be lost if something does not respond as expected?

Apologies if I'm not being specific enough. Please let me know if I should provide more information.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Running Linux apps on Android

Post by Hoser Rob »

There are such things (just search "android running linux apps"). But I'd be very surprised if any of them were truly plug & play.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
old_noob
Level 4
Level 4

Post by old_noob »

There are android apps that emulate an entire Linux desktop, and will run Linux apps in the chosen distro's repository, but they are excruciatingly slow. Might sort of work if you have a high end phone with 6-8GB of RAM, otherwise kind of a novelty/joke.
sneakyfox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sneakyfox »

Okay, thanks for the replies.

Return to “Chat about Linux”