A Theme Doesn't Make Linux

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Glamtrains

A Theme Doesn't Make Linux

Post by Glamtrains »

Often, people will enter into the rather silly "Linux is better than Windows" debates, only to show off their custom "Windows 10 desktop themes."

Why a Windows look if you hate it so badly?

And, bear in mind, the desktop environment / theme / eye candy doesn't define what's under the hood. Rather be concerned about functionality, stability, reliability.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: A Theme Doesn't Make Linux

Post by Portreve »

According to some users here on LMF, it sure seems like how well a given distro will do depends upon what it looks like.

Now, to be fair, I think there's at least some truth to that sentiment.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Glamtrains wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:19 pm
Why a Windows look if you hate it so badly?

And, bear in mind, the desktop environment / theme / eye candy doesn't define what's under the hood. Rather be concerned about functionality, stability, reliability.
Probably 'Because' the desktop environment / theme / eye candy doesn't define what's under the hood. Rather be concerned about functionality, stability, reliability.

Windows can look rather pretty, but I wouldn;t trust it to do my important stuff, like web browsing, writing and graphics!

Sometimes it is nice to have 'pretty' but with something decent under the hood.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

And you really believe using Linux makes you 100% safe from being watched? Most Linux users cannot tell whether their online communications are being watched or not. Not even Tor is safe. And some people sound as if they hold access codes to the secrets of Fort Knox on their home computers.

I really don't care what bored idiot sits watching me, while eating mouldy pizza and stale coffee. People are crazily paranoid and some become so radical that it's scary.

Please find me the treasure map to the Kruger Millions on my laptop, as I can't seem to find it myself.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

And you really believe using Linux makes you 100% safe from being watched?
Considering some of the things I know, and some of the things I only think I know, balanced against the way the world is moving, I don;t really believe anyone is invisible.

You might know some of the tools available to various 'interested persons', but most average people have no idea.
I had the opportunity to see accidentally a few years ago, via an overseas link, stuff that was happening on a tablet in a third country. I didn't ask questions, I just agreed that I didn't need to know more, and simply finished the job. Technology has moved even further in the years since. It is not a case of Widows, Mac, or Linux being completely safe, or completely unsafe, but the demonstration I was involved with was another OS into Windows and out to Android or IOS. I'm sure it would have opened Linux.
Very clever, and I'm not sure I would like to see this stuff in the hands of the average person.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet

Return to “Chat about Linux”