Ubuntu 21.04

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rick gen
Level 3
Level 3

Ubuntu 21.04

Post by rick gen »

It's on distrowatch.com news page.

Been trying to install Kubuntu 21.04 just to see what's new, and it's been giving me
failed to install grub on dev/sda or something and it's fatal error.
It's something to do with UEFI boot system I think.

I'm not asking for tech help here, I'm just trying to understand the theory behind this.
I have not had this problem before in previous Ubuntu non LTS releases.

Thing is I have existing partitions (3 Linuxes, Windows) on legacy boot, why in Neptune would I change to EFI just to accommodate one system on EFI?
I don't get it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Ubuntu 21.04

Post by altair4 »

You talkin' about this:
KDE-Install-UEFI.png
KDE-Install-UEFI.png (25.52 KiB) Viewed 921 times
Yep, that be a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1893964

But in Ubuntu 21.04 it isn't catastrophic if you just hit Continue. It will install with grub and everything works despite the warning.

I installed Kubuntu 21.04 in a VBox - non UEFI guest - and unlike in Ubuntu you will get two more successive warnings that all hell will break loose if you continue but eventually I ended up OK:
KDE-Install-UEFI-2.png
KDE-Install-UEFI-2.png (15.47 KiB) Viewed 921 times
Nothing funny looking ( other than KDE itself ) in the rebooted system or in fstab.

Having said all that and given you have 4 other operating systems on your box I wouldn't install it on a drunken bet.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
thatchunkylad198966
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Ubuntu 21.04

Post by thatchunkylad198966 »

altair4 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:49 pm Yep, that be a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/189396
Very annoying bug but gotta deal with it.
I tried it, didn't like it.
I wish Ubuntu would move away from snap but that won't happen. :(

Return to “Chat about Linux”