System76 is doing a COSMIC desktop now

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
That Random Guy
Level 1
Level 1

System76 is doing a COSMIC desktop now

Post by That Random Guy »

So when I say "doing", it means they're basically setting up that config on their Pop!OS images for Gnome.

Based on the little reading I've done, I still can't figure out if it's a legit new desktop or if it's just a different arrangement of vanilla Gnome using Gnome extensions.

Since I'm not a dev or involved with desktop environment stuff, I'm not sure if the latter in itself constitutes as a new desktop.

Anyway, what I did get to see is the layout they're deciding to go with on this COSMIC desktop and I for one think it actually improves on stock Gnome a whole lot more than what - say - what Fedora does in its ugly mess. It has greater potential to be well received/accepted at the very least.

I still prefer Cinnamon as the ultimate/correct refactoring of Gnome and I find most of what Cinnamon comes with absolute. That's just me though.

After looking at what System76 is trying to do though, it makes me wonder if people will start to push for that over other Gnome derivatives.

What do you guys think? :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: System76 is doing a COSMIC desktop now

Post by manyroads »

It's a fork of gnome. Similar to Cinnamon being a fork of gnome.

https://github.com/pop-os/cosmic
https://<blocked blogspam>/system76-unveils- ... p_os-linux
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

manyroads wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:01 am It's a fork of gnome. Similar to Cinnamon being a fork of gnome.

https://github.com/pop-os/cosmic
https://<blocked blogspam>/system76-unveils- ... p_os-linux
Your github link goes to a gnome extension. Not a fork of gnome shell. Cinnamon started that same way but ended up being a full fork because of the limitations and constant changes to shell.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Post by manyroads »

Not actually my github.. ;) I have nothing to do with Cosmic. Don't use gnome either.

Anyway. from the system76 website, here is their official position. Like all things it will evolve going forward (for good or ill):
https://blog.system76.com/post/64837152 ... popos-2104
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

The need to add some features such as right click to uninstall like Mint. Plus the Gnome desktop is a 3rd rate Mac OS knock off without the sterling graphics, and polished fonts. I tried it, and immediately went back to Mint even though my System 76 laptops (and firmware) don't like distros other than Pop OS (wifi, keyboard lights- although the 5.8 kernel fixed a lot of this). To make Gnome usable in any way you have to use lots of add ons such as Gnome Tweaks to add a minimize button, a proper dock....
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

WOW, they are out of stock on ALL their laptops! 100% sold out. Astonishing, and they have been for a couple of weeks.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I would not have System 76, unless it was given to me
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:53 am WOW, they are out of stock on ALL their laptops! 100% sold out. Astonishing, and they have been for a couple of weeks.
There has been a worldwide chip shortage due to far higher than expected demand due to the pandemic. Solid state storage (SSDs, etc.) are already starting to be in short supply and prices will be going up soon.
AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:58 am I would not have System 76, unless it was given to me
I don't blame you, even if only because their customer "service" and tech help is less than stellar. They have had my computer (in for the second time) for two weeks and, when I checked a couple of days ago, their system had automatically closed the ticket! :shock: After a stern response from me (I've been keeping it clean...so far), they reopened the ticket and will contact their "repair team" to find out the status on it. :roll:
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I had thought for a long time that, if I were to buy another laptop, or would be from System76. It may well still be — I hate to rule anything in or out on an absolute basis, especially what might be years before I buy something — but I am glad to get input from someone who's "in the trenches" as it were.

I've been pretty happy and satisfied so far with my HP tower, but I can definitely say I'd really rather build my own, because doing significant upgrades to these pre-built systems is basically impossible. So, my next computer will be a Portreve Systems one. :lol:
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Portreve wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:50 pm ...I'd really rather build my own, because doing significant upgrades to these pre-built systems is basically impossible. So, my next computer will be a Portreve Systems one. :lol:
What he said. I've been working on and off building my own case that I've designed to be as modular as possible to make upgrades that require a change in case hardware to be as nondisruptive to the continuous operation of the computer as possible. The motherboard will be mounted on a removable tray. All "front" I/O ports and bays, including hot swap bays for backup drives, are mounted in 5.25" bays that can be fairly quickly swapped out with upgraded versions that were fabricated beforehand outside the computer.

Even the four 2.5" SATA SSD data drives will be mounted in a 5.25" bay. Once SATA and/or 2.5" form factors have been replaced with something else, I can fabricate a new 5.25" bay device designed for the something else at my leisure, then fairly quickly swap them out without having to tear down the entire computer. The current SSD bay allows me to fairly quickly remove and replace a data drive without opening up the computer itself or even shutting it down.

I recently made a small, removable panel for pass-through cables to move two USB 3.1 Gen 2 type A ports on the rear I/O of the MOBO to a "front" panel. It also will accommodate two e-SATA to SATA cables to give me two more SATA "ports" than the MOBO has. It is a replacement for the one I had made earlier before better cable hardware became available. Having the separate panel allows removing or replacing the panel without having to modify the case itself which would require tearing down the entire computer. At the same time, I made a new panel for the two USB C ports on the "front" panel. I painted both of them yesterday and they are hanging up to finish drying.

I've been putting "front" in parentheses because it has been relocated to the left side of the case to make reaching it from my desk easier and avoid knocking things, such as USB sticks, off and/or breaking them when I walk by it.

IMG_0051.JPG
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Portreve wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:50 pm I had thought for a long time that, if I were to buy another laptop, or would be from System76. It may well still be — I hate to rule anything in or out on an absolute basis, especially what might be years before I buy something — but I am glad to get input from someone who's "in the trenches" as it were.

I've been pretty happy and satisfied so far with my HP tower, but I can definitely say I'd really rather build my own, because doing significant upgrades to these pre-built systems is basically impossible. So, my next computer will be a Portreve Systems one. :lol:
I can't sit in front of a desk anymore and lean forward to look at a monitor...

so, I am relegated to laptops, and to be honest, my newest one can do more than my desktop ever could.
a difference of 16 years might have something to do with that :mrgreen:
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Of the two System 76 systems I own, I love the Lemur Pro, I mean I love it. The Darter was a comedy of errors. I really am not fond of that laptop, so it gets relegated to being my experimental box. I use my desktop a lot but it is built around a Ryzen 1700 with 32 gb of RAM, 2070 Super, and 7.5 TB of storage. For me, at least, the Lemur Pro has been superb.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I've had an Oryx Pro for quite a few years and it's been an excellent machine. The only time that I needed to contact support, they were helpful and took care of me right away. I'm sorry to hear that other have had issues with them.

That being said, most every other machine I've owned has been an HP and they all work perfectly with Linux.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

JosephM wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:41 am I've had an Oryx Pro for quite a few years and it's been an excellent machine. The only time that I needed to contact support, they were helpful and took care of me right away. I'm sorry to hear that other have had issues with them.

That being said, most every other machine I've owned has been an HP and they all work perfectly with Linux.
I love HP laptops, they have also been good with Linux for me as well.
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 5567, vintage 2017. Never had a reason to call Dell tech support. I dual booted win 10 and LM for a year to keep the warranty valid then scrubbed win10.

My wish list for sometime in the near future is to be able to build my own custom laptop, not constrained to any particular manufacturer. Something like building a desktop. Pick a processor, compatible mobo, memory, video card, storage drive(s) and perhaps a DVD drive which can be swapped out for another standard 2.5" drive for extra storage, clone or a different bootable OS. A case with most frequently used ports on the sides and extra various ports in the back for seldom used but sometimes nice to have. Case options on keyboard and screen. No restrictions on what OS I would like to install.

I've built two desktops, they are running great, easily updated memory and drives. All within my budget!
Not like laptop manufacturers where you make a small upgrade to the hardware and it will cost you an arm and a leg.
Maybe Tom's Hardware, Newegg or another trusted vendor of my choice can assemble it if I ordered the parts from them; if don't feel comfortable assembling it myself.

"trusted vendor of my choice" used to be my local computer shop. But they don't exist any more.
Fry's Electronics folded recently, I'll miss it.
https://frys.com/

I know that I'm dreaming, but it's good to have nice dream once in while.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Yeah, so many Mom and Pop shops that I used to frequent for things are gone now replaced by big box retailers. The smaller computer shops used to be a font of knowledge on systems they sold. Pity.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

MurphCID wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:22 pm Yeah, so many Mom and Pop shops that I used to frequent for things are gone now replaced by big box retailers. The smaller computer shops used to be a font of knowledge on systems they sold. Pity.
I just a small shop yesterday "We repair computers here"

need to go in and see what they have.

Return to “Chat about Linux”