A Year On Linux... And I'm Already Leaving Linux!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: A Year On Linux... And I'm Already Leaving Linux!

Post by rossdv8 »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:38 pm I think I could be happy with a pretty pure Gnu-Unix interface without the things Linux has to provide for home users.
Remembering that Linux was never intended to 'be' - it was just a University kid's experiment in programming a 'Unixy kernely thing' that got loose - I think it has been an amazing thing.
I used to be amazed when I had to do support Xenix and another system that I've forgotten the name of, for newsagents and banks. I ws mostly only needed when hardware was changed.
From memory, Xenix was licenced by Microsoft from somewhere, maybe BSD (something else I've forgotten) and at the time some business franchises were migrating to Windows NT. Windows kept me much busier than Xenix ever did, especially when they converted their networking!

It all changed after year 2000 though.

Enough reminiscing. What I meant was, I'm sure the pretty pure Gnu-Unix interface could easily be achieved.
Everything is there under the hood. Simple X-windows if needed. Simple Graphical command stuff with zenity and other tools.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 amand pretty soon it'll be as normal as owning a radio was 100 years ago.
Owning a radio 100 years ago was not common. Most were battery operated and we're talking lead-acid batteries the same as car batteries. A vibrator and a transformer produced the high voltages needed. Crystal sets were also used.

I still say that a computer today is a tool to do things. What comes through is that the OP doesn't "do things" such as office work, information retrieval, music, etc.etc.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

RollyShed wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:21 pm
TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 amand pretty soon it'll be as normal as owning a radio was 100 years ago.
Owning a radio 100 years ago was not common. Most were battery operated and we're talking lead-acid batteries the same as car batteries. A vibrator and a transformer produced the high voltages needed. Crystal sets were also used.

I still say that a computer today is a tool to do things. What comes through is that the OP doesn't "do things" such as office work, information retrieval, music, etc.etc.

That was exactly my impression of the OP from reading his comments. He is just a tech dude that wants to play with his computer for fun and impress his friends. That sounds great but he should be more clear about this.

I wonder if FreeBSD running headless would be tech enough for the OP's desire to have a unique OS.
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

RollyShed wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:21 pm

1) 1920's is when radio exploded, by the end of the decade over 60% of Americans owned a radio. The 1920's is literally known as the "radio age".
2) I see you didn't read any of my posts: I left Windows when a MS-Word glitch nuked a month of work - clerical i.e. "office" work.
3) I use computers mostly for writing. What attracted me to Unix is the tools for large-scale file management, since I have hundreds of documents going back 30 years that I want to organize into an archive.
4) I mentioned in one of my posts that I do some video editing on computer. also use the computer to record music.

That's a lot of computering, but all the same, I'm not "into" whatever the latest thing is and I don't keep up on components etc. I only found out how a computer works last year. . . .
vvv511
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vvv511 »

While I understand and share your concerns about the technology dystopia where are entering into and creating and normalizing for future generations, and to be honest while this may be pessimistic it seems inevitable at this point, I am just wondering why do you compare Linux, particularly Linux Mint in this case, to these technologies? At least for now and from my very limited understanding, I don't see how LM violates our privacy and doesn't have telemetry.

And you assume that eventually Linux distros will have to implement certain "stuff" to remain competitive. How so? I'm pretty sure that there are distros that probably only have a few hundreds or thousands of users and they don't need to be competitive. As long as it fits their goals, there will be people using it. And I'm certain there will be always people concerned about their privacy, at least for now.
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

kc1di wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:05 am Sorry to hear your leaving. may be you would find a distro such as Q4OS more able to meet your needs.
https://q4os.org it claims it allows you to make the system fit your needs.
Good Luck.
Thanks! Q4OS is on my list. The title of this thread was tongue-in-cheek, btw, I guess my sense of humor sucks! I might end up on Rocky Linux with Guix & EXWM. We'll see, it's an ongoing process, all I know is that once I set that machine up, I don't want to bother with it again, haha, just a quiet work environment that isn't always updating and upgrading every few years. A little Posix desert island. . . .
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

vvv511 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:06 am While I understand and share your concerns about the technology dystopia where are entering into and creating and normalizing for future generations, and to be honest while this may be pessimistic it seems inevitable at this point, I am just wondering why do you compare Linux, particularly Linux Mint in this case, to these technologies? At least for now and from my very limited understanding, I don't see how LM violates our privacy and doesn't have telemetry.

And you assume that eventually Linux distros will have to implement certain "stuff" to remain competitive. How so? I'm pretty sure that there are distros that probably only have a few hundreds or thousands of users and they don't need to be competitive. As long as it fits their goals, there will be people using it. And I'm certain there will be always people concerned about their privacy, at least for now.
I guess I'm just jaded. But on a practical level, if I spend $3k on a production laptop, even if I run Linux, it had better support the hardware I paid for. Linux has definitely had to keep up, and they are definitely adding more with every release - maybe not Arch or Gentoo, but the ones that are most likely to be used.

Okay, fair warning, Tinfoil Hat Time! I think we're 1 phony cyber-crisis away from the corporations and government taking complete control of technology, everything, all information, what you can and can't use (like the ridiculous strictures put on vintage cars), the whole shebang. All you need is an excuse. Say there's a "cyber-attack", power grids down, bank accounts emptied, viruses released en masse: you can imagine the fallout - anyone who isn't on the grid would be a potential security risk, "It's only temporary! Just cooperate! Use the government issue machines and your government issue passcode, it'll all go back to normal soon..." Yeah, right. So, maybe I am paranoid, or maybe I'm just not kidding myself about who these people are that control all this stuff. One of the things that holds me back from using better gear is the sheer amount of slave labor that goes into producing the devices - that's what we're dealing with.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:27 am So, maybe I am paranoid, or maybe I'm just not kidding myself about who these people are that control all this stuff.
I'd go with former if I were you.
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

rene wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:33 am
TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:27 am So, maybe I am paranoid, or maybe I'm just not kidding myself about who these people are that control all this stuff.
I'd go with former if I were you.
You're right: its silly not to trust people who spy on you, sell your personal information and use slave labor.
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

BTW: I'm shocked not one of you nerds has figured out what the title of this thread is a reference to.
Is there not ONE Marx Brothers fan among you?!?!
C'mon, we gotta keep our end up for the Alma Mater. . . .
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:19 pm You're right: its silly not to trust people who spy on you, sell your personal information and use slave labor.
I'd in fact say that certainly it would be silly to not trust those who do those things to not spy on you, to not sell your personal information and/or to not use slave labour. It's all those other ridiculous things which you mis-extrapolated from there that amounts to the usual paranoid blabber.

Any case; I commented above that I felt you were approached a bit negatively but seeing as how for example you didn't even comment on e.g. OpenIndiana or Slackware it does in fact seem the case that you might, as others were suggesting, just be more interested in conversing that in having a conversation. Pardon for interjecting...
Last edited by rene on Fri May 07, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

rene wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:36 pm
TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:19 pm You're right: its silly not to trust people who spy on you, sell your personal information and use slave labor.
I'd in fact say that certainly it would be silly to not trust those who do those things to not spy on you, to not sell your personal information and/or to not use slave labour. It's all those other ridiculous things which you mis-extrapolated from there that amounts to the usual paranoid blabber.

Any case; I commented above that I felt you were approached a bit negatively but seeing as how for example you didn't even comment on e.g. OpenIndiana or Slackware it does in fact seem the case that you might, as others were suggesting, just be more interested in conversing that in having a conversation. Pardon for interjecting...
I said in my OP that I was trying OpenIndiana. I had it on Boxes, but it wasn't that good of an install, I'm going to try it on Virt-Manager which gives more options for setup and spend more time with the docs. I just posted that I as trying Rocky, which is Linux, and several times that the title of the post was tongue-n-cheek and a followup to 3 previous updates. I've also thanked the people on this forum at least 3 times in this thread!
As for "blabber": wasn't draconian airport security supposed to be "temporary?" How about The Patriot Act? Or mask-mandates? Or a thousand other things. How is that "blabber"? Government & tech have a strong alliance, I have my guard up.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:48 pm I said in my OP that I was trying OpenIndiana.
Oh, so you did; poor reading on my part. I'll leave the blabber bits furthermore be, and only otherwise stress that, like it or not, Linux is really the only "practical" form of UNIX left certainly for home users, and that among it Slackware is perhaps the most still to your liking. I recommend VirtualBox for easiest deployment.
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

rene wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:55 pm
TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:48 pm I said in my OP that I was trying OpenIndiana.
Oh, so you did; poor reading on my part. I'll leave the blabber bits furthermore be, and only otherwise stress that, like it or not, Linux is really the only "practical" form of UNIX left certainly for home users, and that among it Slackware is perhaps the most still to your liking. I recommend VirtualBox for easiest deployment.
Haha no worries! I freely confess my skill level is still too low to get Slackware, BSD or Arch installed. But I haven't given up :)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:27 am Okay, fair warning, Tinfoil Hat Time!
Okay, fair warning to you, too: please stay away from anything political on this forum, as we can't let it stand. It's just forum policy. I'm going to assume good faith and also that you've read the forum rules, so please keep them in mind. Cheers!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Google it -
"Radio broadcasting was the cheapest form of entertainment, and it provided the public with far better entertainment than most people were accustomed to. As a result, its popularity grew rapidly in the late 1920s and early 1930s, and by 1934, 60 percent of the nation's (USA?) households had radios."

60% of households by 1934. That is one radio to 4 - 8 people in a household. That would be roughly one radio to about 15 people at the most in the whole country. In the majority of countries, no radios until after the 1960s. Individual ownership came with the transistor in the mid 1960s.

So the OP lost a lot of documents because of Microsoft and lack of backups. He has tried Linux and now suggests leaving it. To what?

I'm suspicious, has the disk with the deleted files been checked thoroughly? Did a Microsoft virus called an Update simply reconfigure things and hide things away?
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

Moem wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:29 pm
TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:27 am Okay, fair warning, Tinfoil Hat Time!
Okay, fair warning to you, too: please stay away from anything political on this forum, as we can't let it stand. It's just forum policy. I'm going to assume good faith and also that you've read the forum rules, so please keep them in mind. Cheers!
I don't see any of what I said as being political, it's factual, and is intrinsic to free software and freedom in general, but I won't mention invasion of privacy or slavery again.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

RollyShed wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:26 pm Google it -
"Radio broadcasting was the cheapest form of entertainment, and it provided the public with far better entertainment than most people were accustomed to. As a result, its popularity grew rapidly in the late 1920s and early 1930s, and by 1934, 60 percent of the nation's (USA?) households had radios."

60% of households by 1934. That is one radio to 4 - 8 people in a household. That would be roughly one radio to about 15 people at the most in the whole country. In the majority of countries, no radios until after the 1960s. Individual ownership came with the transistor in the mid 1960s.

So the OP lost a lot of documents because of Microsoft and lack of backups. He has tried Linux and now suggests leaving it. To what?

I'm suspicious, has the disk with the deleted files been checked thoroughly? Did a Microsoft virus called an Update simply reconfigure things and hide things away?
We used to have paper documents packed tightly in filing cabinets and such.
Even then, data loss could be a problem..
Which is why carbon paper and mail (or the office boy) was useful.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
TheOmniad-2020
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TheOmniad-2020 »

RollyShed wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:26 pm Google it -

OH MY GOD!!!!
I made a very humorous "where am I now on this journey so far" post, and thus far I've been accused of being: a liar, a troll, a paranoiac, a techie posing as a n00b, a noob posing as a techie, and a political agitator!

I have zero idea what happened to my docs, I "googled" the problem and found several pages of people who had the same experience with Ms-Word. That was good enough for me. And no, I didn't backup, my bad - but who the heck is expecting such a bizarre thing to happen?

I may or may not use the kernel in the future, and I'm not allowed to talk about why, so you'll have to be satisfied with that answer. There's BSD, Solus, and the ghost of Solaris, but I've had a real problem installing BSD. I'm new to all this: most libre-kernel OS's are using XFS or BTRFS and you have to have some experience with partitioning to install them properly. I love Guix but you can't install it on bare metal at this point, but you can install the package system etc. etc. I think you people forget how overwhelming all this can be. Apart from using the Busybox package and going all Unixy, I'm still a computer-idiot, cut me a break. I only learned what an operating system is 13 months ago.

But thanks for the inquisition. Makes a soul feel welcome.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

TheOmniad-2020 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:30 pm But thanks for the inquisition. Makes a soul feel welcome.
Hey, for what it's worth, I personally feel that you're at least a halfway entertaining paranoiac :-)

Return to “Chat about Linux”